Problem with Dana 44s in a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problem with Dana 44s in a TJ

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
hoggster

Problem with Dana 44s in a TJ

Hi, I'm helping a friend put a pair of dana 44s with OX lockers in his '97 TJ Wrangler. The front axle seals are some kind of aftermarket seal with a red annodized metal body that protrudes from the axle tube. The seal part looks like a normal seal that would be used from front engine seals, etc. I'm sorry if I don't know correct terminology for everything, I am a Volvo/Saab mechanic with little 4X4 experience.

We have the rear put in and everything went smoothly. We have the front installed, but we are having a problem with it. The side with the short shaft is fine. The problem is with the other side.

When you turn the steering knuckle, the axle shaft itsself moves from front to back. You can actually see the seal deflecting from this. The range of movement is around 1/4". We have the hub bolted down and the spindle nut installed, and as far as I can tell the Upper and Lower ball joints are also tight.
The shaft doesn't look like its pushed too far in, and the spindle nut should hold it in its correct position anyway.

We popped the diff cover off trying to see if something is improperly installed, but you really can't see anything with the locker mechanism in there.

Is the shaft supposed to move? What is supposed to support the shaft? Thanks.

hoggster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you got the alloy usa axle seals on there. Those don't support the axle shaft, They just help keep the crap out better than the plastic ones that come stock.
Hard to figure out the axle shaft movement without seeing it.
Do you have pics?
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
hoggster

Unfortunatly I don't have pictures. I might be able to get some later this weekend.

Is there supposed to be a bearing or something behind the seal to hold the shaft, or is it only supported at the differential and the hub?

The shaft is moving horizontaly from the front to back when you turn the steering knuckle. The movement is severe enough to cause that seal to shift with it.
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Dravintoad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, The axle shaft slides through an inner seal and is supported internally and at the hub. It basically floats on the outside at the aftermarket seal.

EDIT: I have never looked to see what kind of movement there is at the axle end, so sorry
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
hoggster

What is supposed to keep it centered in the tube?
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The front axleshaft is supported by the unit-bearing hub on the outside, and the carrier inside the differential. Those two keep it centered That seal, as noted, is an aftermarket seal who's purpose is only to help seal the axle tube from mud, dirt, etc. Is the unit bearing hub secure and in good condition? Is the carrier present inside? Something is really wrong somewhere if you can see the axleshaft moving like that.

Is the front axle fully installed? Does it have the trackbar (you probably know it as the panhard bar) installed? Both lower control arms and the upper control arm are installed?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
hoggster

I'm only looking at the seals movement as an indication that the shaft is moving too much, I realize it doesn't support the shaft.

The hub is secured to the knuckle, which is secured to the ball joints. However it is the original hub. It does not appear to be worn out, I will check for play in it next time I'm working on it. EDIT hub has no play.

The axle was doing this sitting on the ground uninstalled, and does it partially installed on the Jeep (upper and lower control arms and driveshaft) The steering is not installed, nor is the track (panhard) rod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.