Problem with 2001 TJ Neutral Safety Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Problem with 2001 TJ Neutral Safety Switch

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
OrlandoTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Problem with 2001 TJ Neutral Safety Switch

My issue is the Automatic transmission (A/T) shifter is loose (i.e, has about 1/8in movement when in a selected position (Park,Rev,Drive, etc) and occasionally it appears the NSS does not allow me to start the engine (symptoms: power is evident but nothing happens when turning the ignition switch). Note: When I move the A/T shifter through the gears (brake pedal depressed and switch in ACC position) then put the shifter back in park, the engine will start.

Question:
1) Where is the NSS on a 2001 TJ w/ Automatic (3-speed)? ( I am guessing on driver side where the cable comes out of the firewall into the transmission?)

2) Is there an adjustment to the NSS or do I need to replace it? If so has anyone done this and can share the How to?

3) Finally is there a way to "tighten" up the A/T shifter (or is this related to the NSS?)

Any and all suggestions/comments/pictures are most appreicated.
Thanks in advance

OrlandoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
sturgeda

I have the same issue with my '98 TJ. I had a new NSS put it and it still does the same thing. Now when the symptom happens, I press the brake and shift into neutral. Turn the key and away I go.
Unread 07-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The switch has no adjustment. Your issue seems to be with your cable. Check each end to make sure its clipped fully into the bracket.
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
OrlandoTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replys, I'll inspect the cables to ensure they are connected correctly.
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the NSS, it's the cable length adjustment which is done at the forward-most cable attach bracket on the transmission. A lock clip is pulled out and the cable housing is moved fore or aft until it is positioned properly.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
OrlandoTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry. Altough I am a bit nervous on doing adjustments on a "working" tranny. Do you have any additional steps on adjusting the position of the cable and will this tighten up the "play" in the T-handle?
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're not adjusting the tranny itself, you're just adjusting the length of the shifter cable until it is the correct length so it properly engages the NSS. Once you look at the forward attach point on the transmission where the cable first attaches to it, you'll soon find the lock clip. With that released, and that clip won't come off entirely, you can just slightly move the cable fore or aft until you get the NSS so it reliably starts in Park and Neutral. It won't take much fore or aft adjustment to get it right. I knew nothing of how to make that adjustment until I installed my automatic tranny (converted from a 5-speed manual transmission) a few months ago when I HAD to and then it was easy once I actually started the job.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
OrlandoTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a simple fix. I'll give this a try later tonight. Again thanks for the input!
Unread 07-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
OrlandoTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update, based on the above suggestions I went and checked around the cables connecting to the transmission and found that the throttle valve level was loose and I could move it up/down on its connection shaft (almost to the point of it coming off). After re-tighting the bolt holding it to the shaft, the T-shifter now engages each gear as it did when new. Also the issue of not being able to start the Jeep so far has not occured.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Unread 08-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Snydermann
2003 TJ Wrangler 

throttle valve location???

I am having the same symptoms as OrlandoTJ. Where is the Throttle Valve located? I assume it's under the hood. I have a 2003 TJ, and the above pics do not match mine.

Last edited by Snydermann; 08-30-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Snydermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You're not adjusting the tranny itself, you're just adjusting the length of the shifter cable until it is the correct length so it properly engages the NSS. Once you look at the forward attach point on the transmission where the cable first attaches to it, you'll soon find the lock clip. With that released, and that clip won't come off entirely, you can just slightly move the cable fore or aft until you get the NSS so it reliably starts in Park and Neutral. It won't take much fore or aft adjustment to get it right. I knew nothing of how to make that adjustment until I installed my automatic tranny (converted from a 5-speed manual transmission) a few months ago when I HAD to and then it was easy once I actually started the job.
And this is on the tranny itself not inside at the shifter, correct?

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Snydermann
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTJ View Post
Just an update, based on the above suggestions I went and checked around the cables connecting to the transmission and found that the throttle valve level was loose and I could move it up/down on its connection shaft (almost to the point of it coming off). After re-tighting the bolt holding it to the shaft, the T-shifter now engages each gear as it did when new. Also the issue of not being able to start the Jeep so far has not occured.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
I read and understand the post about adjusting the cable the runs from shifter to tranny. But, based on Orlando's update about his throttle valve level(?) being loose, I am leaning toward that being the cause of my shifting problems. My shifter assembly and plastic rod seem to be functioning properly. But my shifter has slipping issues between Drive and Neutral, it slips into neutral while driving over a bump on the road, so the shifter is not locking into "D". Also, the engine runs rough while shifting. I assume I make any throttle valve cable adjustment on the top of the engine.

I hope this makes sense

Last edited by Snydermann; 08-30-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Snydermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
opticalwaveguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This link describes similar problems and fixes. I think the part that you tightened was actually the lever for the shift cable (that the TV cable also attaches to).
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2
opticalwaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.