Preventing rust inside frame and body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Preventing rust inside frame and body

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Preventing rust inside frame and body

I am about to begin a crusade to prevent rust on my Jeep. It has none at this time but I am concerned about inside the frame and inside the body channels.

Some years back I repaired a tube and fabric Piper Cub aircraft, I treated the inside of the 4130 tubes, after welding, with boiled linseed oil. This has been a standard aviation practice for decades for tube structure aircraft. Of course, the tubes are drilled to drain and then welded closed sealing them. The inside of a Jeep frame rail is exposed to the elements so would need periodic re-application. Is there a better way? I would rather prevent rust than try to stop it after starting or repairing it.

I just installed (still installing) Savvy armor. I painted over the body areas with zinc chromate (over OEM paint in good condition) and then put a top coat of anti rust paint (rattle can) over that. I then powder coated my aluminum armor and sprayed Corrosion X on the mating surfaces of armor and body. I imagine from time to time I will need to remove the armor and clean and re-apply the Corrosion X.

J

3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

my dad just did a frame up restore to his old cj5. i might be mistaking the name but i believe we used POR-15 and had quite a time getting it into the frame. we tried plugging all the holes but quickly found out that we did a horrible job and made quite a mess. after a couple days of drying, we used a surgeons camera and snaked it into the frame. we were quite happy with how it turned out.

my dad is an operations foreman at the geysers here in cali. rain, snow or shine, the cj makes the hour and 15 minute commute a couple times a week. once he gets there its usually sitting in snow, getting blasted with sulfer for hours. the damn thing stinks! yet the POR15 has held up great.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
exhooah
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Eastwood! For inside the frame. Good stuff. Specifically made to spray inside.
exhooah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on eastwood. Im planning on doing that to my frame too.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
Dueces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
radrick
1974 CJ5 

That eastwood internal frame coating is really good. I did my old tj with that and getting ready to do my new tj also. You will need 3 cans to do the frame, get a fourth and do the torque boxes ( the chanel with the body mounts on the tub) You should do the internal coating first because its really runny and it will run out all over your fresh black paint. Each can comes with the flex nozzle, spray the nozzles out by attaching it to spray carb clean so you can reuse them. I reused the nozzles sprayed a coat of gloss black inside the frame with valspar tractor enamal to cover up the green frame coating. It looked much better.
radrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Waxoyl if you can get your hands on it.

http://www.waxoyl-usa.com/

IME, POR and paint over rust products fail before long if surface prep isn't 100%.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Eastwood product looks interesting, I was looking at POR or Monstaliner for the outside of my frame. After grinding off all of the original paint on the frame for my 4 link and living a stone throw from the ocean I need to apply something that is going to last.

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did the POR15 treatment to the outside of my axles. It is one of the easiest thing to "install" because you can just paint it on with a brush but I have not had it on mine long enough to test the longevity. The CJ guys on this forum swear by it tho.

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
ado2987
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I want to try this Eastwood stuff and then get to coating the rest of the frame and herculine the tub. Any tips on how to clean out the frame rails? Where's the best spot to make a drainage hole? And where to stick a hose/pressure washer?

I crawled under and looked around but am wondering if I'll need to remove any parts to access the ends of the frame rails. I'd like to use existing holes/accessible areas if possible. Trying to coat the frame up as best I can, inside and out.
ado2987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Timido
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Clean out the frame rails with a shop vac pressure washer. I cleaned mine ran a couple cans of the eastwood frame coatings I think 3 cans. I also took a piece of 1/4 plate and drilled a hole in it. Welded it to the lower part of the frame where it comes down and drilled a 5/8 hole in the frame. I now have a nice drain. Anytime I go wheeling I just stick a hose in the frame rail now until it comes out clear water.
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.