Prepping/painting Dirtworx bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Prepping/painting Dirtworx bumper

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Prepping/painting Dirtworx bumper

Big thanks to Robert for knocking out my front and rear bumpers and receiving them so quickly!!

Now I need to know the best easiest way to sand them before I self etch prime them and rustoleum bedline spray them.

I dont have power sanders so I guess I'll be doing it by hand.

What do you recommend?

05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Timido
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sanding block, 3m scuff pads. Clean with paint thinner then prime and paint. Might be a good excuse to by an electric sander.
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Just got to a computer and was able to do a proper search finally. Plenty of threads on it.

Apologize for cluttering the tech forum for this!
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Timido
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No problem. Show us installed pictures when you get the bumpers on.
Timido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Updated with pics...
image-3513244984.jpg

image-2306204120.jpg

image-876142610.jpg

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. I put him on a tight schedule when I ordered my rear bumper. Told him I need it here by X date so I could paint and install it before I left for school and he got it here on time. I just wiped it down to clean it, self etching primer, then rattle can bed liner.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar
Looks good. I put him on a tight schedule when I ordered my rear bumper. Told him I need it here by X date so I could paint and install it before I left for school and he got it here on time. I just wiped it down to clean it, self etching primer, then rattle can bed liner.
Yeah both my bumpers were here within a week of placing the order! After some tweaking of the front bumper after I got it Im extremely pleased
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
rkulp89
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Do you need to sand them before you spray primer? Mine are with FedEx and should be delivered in the next couple days.
rkulp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulp89
Do you need to sand them before you spray primer? Mine are with FedEx and should be delivered in the next couple days.
No...just use acetone to clean all the debris & grease off. Then use self etch primer rattlecan
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa
No...just use acetone to clean all the debris & grease off. Then use self etch primer rattlecan
^pretty much.
Also thought I'd add that once I got the bumper, I damaged part of the spindle due to my own stupidity. I emailed Robert back asking how much a replacement piece would cost and he sent it out to me for free, I didn't even pay postage. He got that to me quickly as well, definitely a good guy to do business with.
Unread 08-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
starfan_9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavasar View Post
How has the rattle can paint job held up so for? I should be getting my rear bumper in about week and was planning on doing the same thing.

The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.

If you ever become a mother, can I have one of the puppies?

My mountain bike cost more then some of y'alls Jeeps
starfan_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Use a self-etching primer and rattle can paint will usually hold up fine. I used to have to go to an automotive paint store to find it but recently discovered Rustoleum now has a self-etching primer which I found in my local Home Depot. Self-etching primer adheres to bare steel quite tenaciously and far better than standard primers.

Make sure to apply second coats of it or the enamel paint per the directions. Additional coats must be applied either within minutes after the first coat or not until 3-4 days later after the paint has fully cured. Adding extra coats too late or too soon will cause the paint to wrinkle dramatically.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Cavasar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfan_9 View Post

How has the rattle can paint job held up so for? I should be getting my rear bumper in about week and was planning on doing the same thing.
Holding up pretty good. Two coats of self etching primer and a couple of bed liner is all I did. Easy to touch up too, did my fenders and rockers the sane way.
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #14
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice damn bumpers man
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My bumpers haveheld up well since sept. Few areas i had to touch up bc a fellow jk jeeper backed into me and his hilift made contact with the bumper but otherthan that its held up well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.