Powertrax NO-SLIP rear...how transparent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Powertrax NO-SLIP rear...how transparent?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Powertrax NO-SLIP rear...how transparent?

I need a locker, and I don't really want to wait until I regear. My only option for my D44 with trac-loc is a powertrax no-slip. If I do this, I'll keep it for the long run and just get thick-cut gears when I regear.

I've heard many good things about these in the front, but not a lot of review about them in the rear of a TJ (well, LJ in my case).

I want to know how transparent it is. I wouldn't really care, but the real question is, "will my wife notice it?". If it's anything like a lockright, should probably wouldn't be comfortable driving the heep anymore.

Thoughts/opinions?

And if anyone knows, who has these the cheapest?

Thanks!

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can personally compare the no-slip to a lock-right and an aussie. This was not in a Jeep
but in my F-150 . With my truck's wheelbase I can't tell you how it will cause your TJ to handle,
BUT I can attest to the fact that the No-slip is noticeably smoother engaging and better behaved
than the lock-right or aussie. Yes it always seems to be a bit more expensive but I believe it was worth it.
I have since sold the truck but I when I lock the rear of my XJ I have no doubt that I will buy another no-slip.
My wife drove my truck before and after the locker install. I never mentioned the fact that I installed it, she
never noticed the fact that truck drove a little differently.
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the rear no-slip before the front one

it was transparent almost all time. It was just slightly noticiable on a parking lot doing a lot of maneuvering. this virtually dissapeared with time.. now (3 months) its almost 100% unnoticiable. may be once a month I hear a small light click....... I lOve it

the front is even more invisible

I am both locked and my rig doesnt make any noises whatsoever driving around, turning, U-turning or doing whatever.

I am not trying to sell the product. I know there's a lot of good products out there, and i dont get any commision for this. its just my personal opinion. I LOVE THEM!

my friend have a detroit softlocker and it clicks and clacks a little. and it is supposed to be the quiet one of them.

2005 WK Limited 4.7L - 4x4 (QT-II)
2" RC Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME Rear Shocks, Saguaro Shackle Mounts, Mopar OEM Hitch
alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Does the front one make it noticeably harder to turn offroad? Do you find yourself having to backup to make tight turns?

I like what I'm hearing about the rear... The cheapest I can find one for is $425 so far.

Unread 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I were buying an automatic "lunchbox" locker for the rear axle, I'd definitely go for the Powertrax No-Slip. By far, it's the smoothest operating lunchbox locker and that is extremely important when we're talking about the rear axle. Your wife may notice it a little but just teach her to back off the gas a little when turning corners and the No-Slip will be much less noticeable. Given enough time, she would learn to do that on her own as automatic lockers quickly teach the driver how they like to be driven so as to minimize their quirks.

And Jcssurf, they are not so much harder to turn offroad when in 4x4 as they slightly increase the turning radius when installed in the front axle. A 2-point turn might turn into a 3-point turn with an automatic locker up front. Their benefits FAR outweigh that minor drawback that occurs only in 4Hi or 4Lo but not in 2wd.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to build in stages by using the lunchboxes. I could go rear locker then gears then front locker as money permits. As opposed to the cost of front and rear full carrier lockers and gears all at once (talk about making the wife uncomfortable).

Anyone else with a noslip in the rear?

Unread 12-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
... Your wife may notice it a little but just teach her to back off the gas a little when turning corners and the No-Slip will be much less noticeable. Given enough time, she would learn to do that on her own as automatic lockers quickly teach the driver how they like to be driven so as to minimize their quirks. ...
My thread about a rear LSD is heading in this direction, so I will ask it here where it makes more sense...

So in the rear will the lunchbox unlock at times? I assumed it would stay locked because it was getting an input force. From your comment, it sounds like it would unlock during turns as long as you're not heavy on the accelerator. If that's the case, then I assume with proper driving there will be no extra tire and/or drivetrain wear and tear?

What quirks? Based on the above, the engaging/disengaging because of acceleration?
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely it will unlock "at times". It would only not unlock when going around a corner if you applied too much power via the accelerator pedal through the turn. The quirks, minor as they are, would be exactly from how you described it. Not disengaging during a turn if too much power given during the turn. Staying off the gas during a turn as much as possible helps to insure it will unlock as easily as possible during a turn.

Applying power through an automatic locker helps insure it is locked up as solidly as possible.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

how much "slop" is there in a lunchbox locker? it looks to me by design it works by the cross shaft forcing the sides apart and locking them that way which would mean the carrier would spin before the axles do.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
...Staying off the gas during a turn as much as possible helps to insure it will unlock as easily as possible during a turn...
Maybe a stupid question, but how much is "as much as possible"?

Can one keep a constant speed through a turn? Lightly accelerate through the turn? Or do you have to let off the gas to the point of slowing down for it to unlock?

And maybe more importantly if it stays locked during a turn, will that cause any wear and tear on the driveline/axle?

If I can drive pretty normal (I'm no speedster) and cause no damage or have handling effects, then maybe I need to rethink my choice in the rear from a Detroit Truetrac to maybe a No-slip.
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you can drive normal . it's not a big deal like it sounds. you can accelerate normal on turns. if you floor it you will hear tires chirping due to locking engagement

2005 WK Limited 4.7L - 4x4 (QT-II)
2" RC Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME Rear Shocks, Saguaro Shackle Mounts, Mopar OEM Hitch
alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #12
snellav
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure how the lunchbox compares to a Detroit but mine really doesn't bother me when driving. So long as you know its there, I don't think it'd be a problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.