powertrax no slip in rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > powertrax no slip in rear

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
whitefiesta

powertrax no slip in rear

Anyone have a powertrax no slip in the rear with a manual tranny?
i just installed mine and it acts really really strange sometimes.
stranger than any other locker ive ever witnessed.
And not typical of the no slip

it really makes the lean of the jeep noticable upon take off, sometimes it unloads when im going straight
and makes more noise than a noslip should

[QUOTE=CTLiberal]hey everyone i'm new on this sweet forum and live in Connecticut..... i bring my Jeep to construction sites and dirt roads alot so i know how to drive a jeep offroad..[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=romperXJstomper]i got the d44 from a guy on CTliberals [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tealcherokee] only the retards run radius arms[/QUOTE]
whitefiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Tirith
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the No-Slip in the rear of my 5-speed manual. And, yep, the body roll is the first thing I noticed when I picked it up from the shop. For instance, at a stop light, when the light turns green, and I put it in gear and give it throttle, the whole jeep torques slightly to one side (more so than normal). But it's not always to the same side. Sometimes it rolls to the left, sometimes to the right, and sometimes not at all. And it's obviously more pronounced with the sway bar disconnected.

It must have something to do with the way the locker engages the pinion/drivetrain. If someone has a good explanation as to what causes it, I'm all ears.

It also occasionally unloads strain on the drivetrain at odd moments, causing a snap or bang from the rear that you mentioned. But I'm told this is normal behavior from any locker. In high-traction situations (like on asphalt), when the tires need to turn at different rates, and can't because the No-Slip has not disengaged, something has to give.

So, in short, it's normal behavior, and nothing to really worry about.

However, I'll be waiting for your post after your first experience in the snow with a No-Slip.
Tirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 01:53 AM   #3
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What your feeling is very typical of a lunchbox style locker. I myself would not use one in a rear application esp. on a DD, IMO your side effects are worse than my Detroit, the lunchbox lockers load and unload pretty badly in a rear axle this is the same for Lockrite. They only thing I can suggest is to just get used to it.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My dad has a No Slip in the rear of his Jeep with a 5 speed, sounds like your's does, lots of loading/unloading and such.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have one and mine goes through the typical load/unload but it is managable unless you are driving into corners real hard. Worst part is tight parking and corners. I use the clutch alot. When I regear I am pulling mine out and selling it then putting one in the front.

-b
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
jonster
2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine acted the same way. Sometimes it would sound like the rear end was breaking up and I was trying to start off with no clutch. I removed it and installed a Detroit TrueTrack. Much better till I can get a selectible locker.
Unread 03-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Jgw50

I had one and never heard a peep out of it! I must have gotten lucky, I did notice the roll at start up, and if I was turning under power, it wanted to go straight a little, but very livable. Perhaps the biggest problem was the increased backlash though. Really made it hard to drive smootly at low speeds without depressing the clutch. oh well, I'm in a newer TJ now, and if yours is for a Dana 44, I'll buy it!
Jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
whitefiesta

if you wanna buy it in like a month

it is for a dana 44 open carrier

[QUOTE=CTLiberal]hey everyone i'm new on this sweet forum and live in Connecticut..... i bring my Jeep to construction sites and dirt roads alot so i know how to drive a jeep offroad..[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=romperXJstomper]i got the d44 from a guy on CTliberals [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tealcherokee] only the retards run radius arms[/QUOTE]
whitefiesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.