Powertrax No - slip front 30 install ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Powertrax No - slip front 30 install ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
psl53
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Powertrax No - slip front 30 install ?

I have a couple of questions installing a no-slip in a front Dana 30. I have a 99 with a 3.73 so I had to pull the axles and remove the carrier. It doesn't say to put bearing grease on the bearings on either side, so I greased them anyway before putting them back. The other question I had is after removing my brake calipers and reinstalling them I put sly glide on the bolts and I always brush off where the slides contacts the caliper bracket. Should I use anti seize or sly glide which is silicone? I have had this locker for a year and was reluctant to install, it really wasn't that bad, Now on to Moab!!!!!!
Thanks
Peter

Unread 03-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
goodolboy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl53
I have a couple of questions installing a no-slip in a front Dana 30. I have a 99 with a 3.73 so I had to pull the axles and remove the carrier. It doesn't say to put bearing grease on the bearings on either side, so I greased them anyway before putting them back. The other question I had is after removing my brake calipers and reinstalling them I put sly glide on the bolts and I always brush off where the slides contacts the caliper bracket. Should I use anti seize or sly glide which is silicone? I have had this locker for a year and was reluctant to install, it really wasn't that bad, Now on to Moab!!!!!!
Thanks
Peter
i dont think you are supposed to put bearing grease on your carrier bearings...maybe alittle lithium grease or gear oil for an install but not bearing grease..is the no slip a full carrier locker or lunch box type

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
psl53
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's a lunch box. Well I hope the grease will mix with the gl5 lube. Unless someone tells me it will toast the locker I'm going to leave it.
Thanks
Peter
Unread 03-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
nhlbill

2015 JK Wrangler 

If your talking about a little film of bearing grease on your carrier bearings, there is nothing wrong with that, The gear oil will break down the bearing grease anyway once it has been run for a while.
You are not supposed to "pack" the carrier bearings though like you would a wheel bearing. Although I don't think it would hurt it, and the grease would eventually break down in the gear oil after time.
IMO If you did "pack" them, be sure to change your gear oil after 500 or so miles.

I prefer to use an Anti seize on the caliper bolts and slides.

Bill

Gone but not forgotten:
05 TJ Sport
RK 5.5" Long Arm, 1" Daystar BL
M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" MML
AA SYE, RE CV Driveshaft
4.56's, ARB Super 30 Front, Detroit D44 w/Alloys Rear
35" BFG MT's
RK X-Factor steering, Currie Anti-Rock,
Nth oil pan skid, Rock Crusher Diff covers
Line X
OBA (Viair 450c System)
Trail Gear Rockers
Custom rear bumper/swing out
nhlbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
psl53
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks NhlBill,
That's exactly what I did. I didn't pack them at all, just spread a little grease to get things back together. Thanks for the help.
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.