Powertrax Dana30 No slip install/write up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Powertrax Dana30 No slip install/write up

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
BarneyJEEP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

is that a "no slip" or a "lock rite" ? in the write up you called it both...or is there a difference?

Unread 12-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Soooo.. i have a dana 35 non- c clip axle and im doin this, will i have to pull the carrier? i have stock gears. also its in the rear (DANA 35)

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Non c-clip or not, I would not install a locker into your Dana 35c. That it's not a c-clip design (89 and older Dana 35c axles do not use c-clips) doesn't make the 27 spline axle shafts any stronger and they are what breaks once a locker is installed.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Non c-clip or not, I would not install a locker into your older model Dana 35c. That it's not a c-clip design doesn't make the 27 spline axle shafts any stronger and they are what breaks once a locker is installed.

SO even driving carefully its still gonna break my shafts?? how about locking the front dana 30?? which is better to lock first front or rear? PS i just have a dana 35 not a dana 35c

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

Unread 12-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
SO even driving carefully its still gonna break my shafts?? how about locking the front dana 30?? which is better to lock first front or rear? PS i just have a dana 35 not a dana 35c
Even though it doesn't have c-clips, it is still a Dana 35c. The 'c' stands for custom, not c-clip.

And yes, you can eventually expect a broken axleshaft once you lock your Dana 35c even if you drive carefully. They're just not up to being locked. I tried that years ago when I used to have a Dana 35c and it lasted all of six weeks before it grenaded.

Locking your front Dana 30 is fine, it only sees about 50% of the stress the rear axle does and it holds up fine to a locker until you start doing tougher trails with about the 35" tire size.

Unread 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Even though it doesn't have c-clips, it is still a Dana 35c. The 'c' stands for custom, not c-clip.

And yes, you can eventually expect a broken axleshaft once you lock your Dana 35c even if you drive carefully. They're just not up to being locked. I tried that years ago when I used to have a Dana 35c and it lasted all of six weeks before it grenaded.

Locking your front Dana 30 is fine, it only sees about 50% of the stress the rear axle does and it holds up fine to a locker until you start doing tougher trails with about the 35" tire size.

I kno the c is for custom, mine isnt custom its factory not from dana itself, and also i only have 235/75/15 tires... does that still mean i will have a broken axle shaft in the rear with the locker?

-SOLD-

Unread 12-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #22
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can take a chance if you like but I've had to help several Jeepers off the trail with broken D35c axleshafts and they were only running 30" tires. I personally wouldn't even consider installing a locker into any stock Dana 35 or Dana 35c axle. The only (!) way to remain reliable is to upgrade it to a Super 35 which uses 30 spline axleshafts but I don't know if they're available for a non c-clip Dana 35. If that is an option, I would call and talk with someone at Superior Axle who makes the Super 35 kit and see if they have something that would work for your 27 spline axle to beef it up to 30 splines.

Unread 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #23
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
You can take a chance if you like but I've had to help several Jeepers off the trail with broken D35c axleshafts and they were only running 30" tires. I personally wouldn't even consider installing a locker into any stock Dana 35 or Dana 35c axle. The only (!) way to remain reliable is to upgrade it to a Super 35 which uses 30 spline axleshafts but I don't know if they're available for a non c-clip Dana 35. If that is an option, I would call and talk with someone at Superior Axle who makes the Super 35 kit and see if they have something that would work for your 27 spline axle to beef it up to 30 splines.
IDK i think i will chance it. If it beaks thats just all the sooner i will get my dana 44 but thanks for the tips!!

-SOLD-

Unread 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #24
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't say you weren't warned against it. It WILL break.

Unread 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #25
electrichead
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Two questions

Is this the type of install that can be tackled by someone with minimal experience?
Does the ring gear need to be adjusted once it is reinstalled?

I only ask because it seems simple and straight forward but I wouldn't want to mess with it if any shimming of other finite adjustments are necessary. I leave that work to a professional.
electrichead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
p2000sk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Love the powertrax. Had it installed by a local shop when my bearings went out (xj). QUESTION: For a couple of years I would hear clicking when turning and once in a while a loud BANG! Then last month I heard the mother of all bangs from the rear and since then it's been quiet? Still works, Anyone had these problems?
p2000sk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #27
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
I have had several lockers in the past, Detroit, Aussie, Auburn, and now Powertrax.
Since you are in Michigan, how did the Powertrax do in the snow and ice? I want to add one to my Dana 30 front but I'm not going to do it if during the winter the Jeep is a hazard. For almost six months of the year my driveway is icy...

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #28
SKIN
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
Since you are in Michigan, how did the Powertrax do in the snow and ice? I want to add one to my Dana 30 front but I'm not going to do it if during the winter the Jeep is a hazard. For almost six months of the year my driveway is icy...
x2... I am in Michigan and would like to know if the front end slides out too.
SKIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #29
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since this was brought back from the dead I'll answer one of the questions in this thread. You do not have to remove the carrier to install the No Slip, in fact, for axles with C-clips you will actually need to install the locker with the carrier in the vehicle or at least I did when installing it into my Ford 8.8.
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #30
youngwon22
1998 XJ Cherokee 

resurrecting a fine thread! this is good.... but could anybody answered the previously asked question: what should someone with no experience with gears be aware of? We all gotta learn sooner or later and first time isnt always detrimental...

Bump
youngwon22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.