Power steering gearbox - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Power steering gearbox

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Power steering gearbox

My power steering gear box is leaking at the pitman arm/lower end. Does anyone have the upgraded steering box? Is it worth the price as opposed to an OEM rebuilt unit? My jeep is a mud runner-no rocks in florida.

Unread 04-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Big_Fisch
2002 WJ 

For now, I used Lucas Oil power steering stop-leak. To my surprise, it ACTUALLY worked incredibly. Obviously not a permanent fix, but it will most likely bide you some time.
Big_Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There are replacement seal kits from the deal that aren't too expensive. However, if you want to look at this as an opportunity to upgrade, a steering box from a Durango with snow plow package will bolt on and is much stronger.
Jeepin' Rock Cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got the rebuilt trans from Tellico back in my jeep this weekend, so its the first time I've driven it in the 4 months I've owned it. went to turn around in my cul-de-sac and had no power steering. checked the reservoir - it was bone dry, so I filled up the fluid cranked the wheel lock-to-lock fifty times and started it up. Power steering fluid began pooring out of the gear box seal and the pump

I've ordered a 98 Durango box from Napa, new hoses, a pump and a V-Belt. I'll take pics when i put it all in.

from what I've read the difference in the Durango box is that the interior gear set is a bit beefier than the stock one and the difference between the two Durango boxes (w. plow or w.o plow) is the number of turns on lock-to-lock

the one without the plow is closest to the jeep.
jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for the info so far. Im going to look into the durango gearbox. jb4 you mentioned ordering a v-belt? I use a serpantine belt on the wrangler. I was also hoping to hear from someone who has installed the AGR gear boxes and pumps. It seems they are almost the same price as a new oem one.
Unread 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Rigged

I have a PSC Steering Box. It was a definite improvement over stock. It is a bit expensive, but worth it. Now that I have larger tires it feels like I have 29's on there it's great. I going to be looking into the PSC Pump and Reservoir pretty soon.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/
Unread 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Yummy View Post
Thank you all for the info so far. Im going to look into the durango gearbox. jb4 you mentioned ordering a v-belt? I use a serpantine belt on the wrangler. I was also hoping to hear from someone who has installed the AGR gear boxes and pumps. It seems they are almost the same price as a new oem one.
I'm sorry, force of habit. 'v belt' is meant to mean 'serpentine belt'.
jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
clintsharley
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So... with the durango gearbox, it just bolts up, but is the durango power steering pump needed? Or is my factory tj pump good to use with that gearbox? Thanks

Last edited by clintsharley; 04-21-2008 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: typing to damn fast... who would of thought
clintsharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
bdf1783
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Yummy View Post
ive got an agr box wooks great,good improvement i would deff recomend it, if u get it the only thing i recomend is u throw some clear coat on it mine started to get surface rust first time it got wet
4'' teraflex lift 33'' wrangler mtr 1'' bl 1''bd mml borla header and cat-back, arb snorkel warn 9000 tera belly up, poison spyder rocksliders modular night crawler frnt bumber oro u turn steering system agr steering box 2
bdf1783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.