Power Steering Fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Power Steering Fluid

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
Dragonmaster

Power Steering Fluid

What type of power steering fluid is called for? Users manual was stolen and my fsm in is my parents garage about 60 miles away. Pumps been squeelin and the fluid is low.

Thanks.

Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
jrtdogbone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Power steering fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster
What type of power steering fluid is called for? Users manual was stolen and my fsm in is my parents garage about 60 miles away. Pumps been squeelin and the fluid is low.

Thanks.
I have a 2004 TJ. The owners manual says mopar automatic transmission fluid. My 2002 Grand Cherokee owners manual says mopar power steering fluid.

Good Luck

The Dog

2004 Jeep Willys
http://jeep-willys.com/
jrtdogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
rokrover

Yep, be careful as the 2004's specify Mopar ATF+4 ONLY (the red stuff). At some point after the 2002 model year this changed from the usual Mopar Power steering fluid (brown) as the previous post pointed out. Not sure why the change.
rokrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
wrangler2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrover
Yep, be careful as the 2004's specify Mopar ATF+4 ONLY (the red stuff). At some point after the 2002 model year this changed from the usual Mopar Power steering fluid (brown) as the previous post pointed out. Not sure why the change.
Chrysler sent out a TSB a while back to switch (I think) 2000 models and up to ATF from power steering fluid. I think the reason was the power steering fluid had some performance issues in very cold weather. It was a bit too thick for the pump...
wrangler2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
04 Unlimited

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Chrysler issued a Power Steering TSB # 19-005-03, dated Aug. 29, 2003 directed to this issue. Your '02 TJ originally had MS5931 PS fluid. According to the TSB, this MS5931 fluid is the one to use to top off as well. The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart).

Hope this helps,

Rich
04 Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

When I install my new power steering cooler sometime in the next few weeks, I'll be switching to Valvoline's synthetic power steering fluid. I've read and heard nothing but praise for its ability to withstand hot PS fluid temps better like we get on some of our local desert tight-twisty trails.

I am not sure that it is compatible with regular PS fluid so I can't recommend it unless you plan to completely drain the PS system like I'll be doing.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.