power steering -2000 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > power steering -2000 TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

power steering -2000 TJ

Replace the box or pump?

The system has a hard time pushing around my smalish 33x10.5s to the point I frequently have to rev the engine in neutral just to get it to turn.
and seems to have been getting worse of the last few years. Had the opportunity to drive a buddy's 06 tj on 35s and there is a night and day difference in the ability to turn - especially arid down.

TO try to fix my problem I started with a fluid change and it did get a little better. I did it again a couple days latter and did get some more of the gunky looking fluid out but its a far cry from where it should be.

Nothing in the system leaks nor is there any whining noises or play.

So im at a loss of what to replace. I had thoughts of putting a Durango box on it but I don't want to do that just to find out I should have replaced the pump instead.
How can I tell if the pump is going or its the box?

noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you got some major goop build up in there. I'd replace the steering gear and the pump at the same time. Flush out the lines the best you can.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.