powdercoating springs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Thug Nasty

powdercoating springs

im looking into a set of rubicon springs, and i wanted the springs to be powdercoated red (its free) to match my skyjacker shocks im getting. would the heat of the curing process make the springs sag in the long run? i really dont want to redo the suspension after i get thiese puppies bolted up. oh yeah, what do the spring companies do to the springs regularly? paint or powdercoat. thanks much

97' Blackie with 2.5 4 popper, 3 spd auto and 3.73's, tan top, half doors, tinted rears, 15 X 8 DC1's, 31X10.50 Baja Claws, 2" spacers with hydros, windshield lights (10$ specials), KC grilles so I can look rich, Chicago Electric REW9000 winch, Premier deck and front 5.25's- Xplod 6.5 in soundbar, cheapo discos, bored 4.0 TB and bored manifold, 4.0 intake, Fabtech steering box skidplate, aluminum radiator, 13.4 mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Homerjay4242

I do not know much about the springs, but powder coating does involve a lot of heat. A solution might be some good paint. Something with a flex additive. Maybe someone here has powder coated theirs and can throw some more information out there.

As for springs that are colored, I remember when I had autoshop in HS springs had this rubber-like cover on them. This cover would then have the color.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
ironbelle

2014 JK Wrangler 

I too would be interested in a response. I ordered a lift and would like to paint the springs before install. Would a few coats of rustoleum do the trick or would this just look bad after a year or two? I thought about powdercoating but thought about the heat.

RIP Flame Red 2004 Wrangler X

post #4 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Texas TJ

ARENT most coil springs powdercoated from the manufacturer?

2001 TJ YELLOW
I flopped and broke my piece

If it won't budge, get a bigger hammer, if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 AM
biffstephens

Paint is your best bet...even if it is free.....

Wheel Spacers? Aluminum Fairleads? Winch Rope? LEDS? Winches? Accessories.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Biff
post #6 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 11:25 AM
ironbelle

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TJ
ARENT most coil springs powdercoated from the manufacturer?
I want the springs to match the color of the Jeep. Most springs are black or silver. I want red springs, but not the Skyjacker lift.

RIP Flame Red 2004 Wrangler X
post #7 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Texas TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbelle
I want the springs to match the color of the Jeep. Most springs are black or silver. I want red springs, but not the Skyjacker lift.

i know im just sayin that they have been powder coated once, why would it hurt to do it again?

2001 TJ YELLOW
I flopped and broke my piece

If it won't budge, get a bigger hammer, if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Jeepin' Rock Cl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If the mfg powder coated them, it obviously doesn't affect the temper of the springs.

i dont' think they heat the springs red hot to bake in the powder coat, only a few hundred degrees...
post #9 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
im looking into a set of rubicon springs, and i wanted the springs to be powdercoated red (its free) to match my skyjacker shocks im getting. would the heat of the curing process make the springs sag in the long run? i really dont want to redo the suspension after i get thiese puppies bolted up. oh yeah, what do the spring companies do to the springs regularly? paint or powdercoat. thanks much
If you are getting it done for free jump on it. The heat involved is not that high. 350 degrees or so so the springs will not be affected. I've never seen powder coated stock springs. I think they just dip them in paint. A lot of them are not painted at all.

2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
post #10 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 12:30 PM
jsmorris
Director of Philosophy

Jeepin' Rock Cl is absolutely correct. It would take a lot of heat to alter the properties of a piece of steel, spring or not. It would involve a partial phase change, and in steel or spring steel, you'll never get close to that with the 300*F that powdercoat is baked. There is a guy 10 minutes from my house that powdercoats professionally and bakes his between 300 & 400*F.

Go for it, you shouldn't experience any problems. In addition, you can powdercoat over the top of powdercoat.

Joel Morris

'89 Grand Wagoneer
post #11 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Thug Nasty

thanks guys for all of yalls fast responses. im glad this is gonna work out. anyways, im off to go muddin

97' Blackie with 2.5 4 popper, 3 spd auto and 3.73's, tan top, half doors, tinted rears, 15 X 8 DC1's, 31X10.50 Baja Claws, 2" spacers with hydros, windshield lights (10$ specials), KC grilles so I can look rich, Chicago Electric REW9000 winch, Premier deck and front 5.25's- Xplod 6.5 in soundbar, cheapo discos, bored 4.0 TB and bored manifold, 4.0 intake, Fabtech steering box skidplate, aluminum radiator, 13.4 mpg
post #12 of 20 Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 PM
xjeepn

2005 TJ Wrangler 

We have a powder coat line at work and the oven is set for 400 * and it takes about 10 minutes to get through the oven area. I think I would pass on the powdercoating if I was buying a new set of springs but since they are free go for it! I know this does not answer your question but maybe it will give you a idea what kind of heat they go through.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
BluesMan

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Painted mine red with rustoleum a year or so ago.
Holds up great.

...Don't follow Chili Palmer into the trees...
post #14 of 20 Old 03-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Haik
supaJEEP

2001 TJ Wrangler 

post back what your results are if/when you powdercoat. I wanna know how they hold up to being compressed and stuff!

Thx!

Haik

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-SOLD- White Jeep Club Member #8675309

Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Lift Kit - Advance Adapters SYE w/ Custom driveshaft
35" SuperSwamper Boggers - SMF rear bumper w/ swingout tire carrier
Cobra 75 WX ST - Firestick II 5' - PIAA 520 - PIAA 525 - 488 Gears - Detroit Locker
SMF front
bumper w/ bull bar - Warn 9500ti winch
post #15 of 20 Old 03-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Grady

The properties of metal wont change much if at all at those low temps. When metals start glowing red is when you get the real changes in the structure of the metal.

"Jeep... the most fun you
can have without having sex"

What doesn't kill you...
just hurts like hell.

USN JEEP HULL #11
'02 TJ
'04 Grand Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.