Powdercoating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Powdercoating

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Boomer1944
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Powdercoating

SoI tore my 2000 Wrangler TJ apart a few months ago and took the body off the chasis. Im sandblasting the entire frame and assembly and powdercoating all the parts below. Has anyone done this before? I would like to see what it looks like so I can get an idea. Thanks

Boomer1944 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think there's a picture request section, you may want to post there?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Y1ann188
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would do line-x with a rust preventive primer, powdercoat peels/ chips to easy imo.
'03 TJ 4.0L NV3550 D30/D44 4.5" RE LA 4.56s, TW DS/AA SYE 35" BFG KM2's Bilstien 5150s JCR Offroad Stubby Winch Front Bumper JCR Offroad Rear Bumper BTF Rock Sliders Warn XD9000i KC Lights Kilby Skids
XD9000i FOR SALE === $950 OBO
Y1ann188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Boomer1944
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well ive already got the entire frame and parts im keeping sandblasted to bare metal, whats your idea from there?
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
canes10510
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If done properly, powder coating is a VERY durable finish. Because it is applied electrostatically it is a much better option than simply a spray on liner or paint. Before Jeeps I was big into third generation Corvettes, and on a full restoration powder coating is widely accepted as the best possible option for re doing the frame.
canes10510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Boomer1944
2000 TJ Wrangler 

canes, do you believe powder coating increases value by much at all? because having the work done to pull body and sandblast every part as well as powder coat every part is time consuming
Unread 07-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
canes10510
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't been into Jeeps for that long now, but in my experience with older Vettes, I think so. It's definitely time consuming, but I think you would be pretty happy with the end result. I've had things powder coated that I swear you could hit with a hammer and not take any paint off. I wish the frames came from the factory powder coated
canes10510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One downside to powder coating is that it's not easy to touch up. If you decide to make frame mods later, or have damage, you won't be able to match it. Take my avatar for instance, the outboard shock kit and relocated upper coil mounts were added later - sectioned into the frame; it was very easy to paint it to match. Years ago, I built a Cobra kit and one option was a powder coated frame. To do over, I'd paint it.

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I just had mine powdercoated, I attached a pic for you. Not a great view but it looks really good! ( I am waiting for my 8.8 to start putting this thing back together)
I was just gonna use por15 or chassis saver,but called around about powdercoating and got an amazing deal i thought- 300 bucks to blast and coat! Could not pass it up. I know what most people say about doing it on Jeeps, but I did it and am very pleased. If the price is right I say do it, you can scuff and paint over powder if you wanted an extra layer even, good luck.
dscn0118.jpg  
marktj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

whoops sorry for the gigantic picture!!! Ill figure this thing out one day
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktj97 View Post
Hey I just had mine powdercoated, I attached a pic for you. Not a great view but it looks really good! ( I am waiting for my 8.8 to start putting this thing back together)
I was just gonna use por15 or chassis saver,but called around about powdercoating and got an amazing deal i thought- 300 bucks to blast and coat! Could not pass it up. I know what most people say about doing it on Jeeps, but I did it and am very pleased. If the price is right I say do it, you can scuff and paint over powder if you wanted an extra layer even, good luck.
$300 is an amazing deal!!
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
marktj97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ha yeah and it wasnt some hillbillys who dont know what theyre doin. The company does big time gov contracts. I asked for a tour and he showed me some humvee armor the did. Got the quote on wed picked up that friday! If anyone is in maryland look em up- triton metals. No i dont work there ha- i wish!
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
55willystruck

I would never powder coat a rig you actually plan to use. Robncar mentioned it above-it is impossible to touch up. Simple paint is as good as it gets. I'm kicking myself now for having all my aluminum armor powder coated. What hurts so much is I knew better but did it anyway. Stick with paint. Oh and no, I'd say it would do absolutely nothing to your value to powder coat. Nobody wants bare steel Jeep and nobody wants to screw with dealing with powder coat removal before doing any real mods. PC is terrible idea in my opinion. Don't mean to be rude, just my two cents.

Best of luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Boomer1944
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well im building my vehicle to pretty much list for sale once i finish with my mods so i can start on another project. this jeep was to just get me started and understand what im dealing with. Any other ideas besides powder coat because I want the bottom to look like a show jeep or something like that. Just to look nice and clean
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I touch-up rock rash on my bumpers and skids (powder coated) with:

Pittsburgh
Interior/Exterior
Urethane Modified Enamel
Gloss-Oil
Black 54-308

Straight from the can (not thinned) and use a small brush, works great.

I've been using it for many years...

Tags
2000 , jeep , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.