Powder Coat ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Powder Coat ?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
10HSD

Powder Coat ?

Anyone powder coat their stock bumpers? How much did it cost, and are you happy with the results?

/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)----)_)
10HSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i doubt it's worth the cost. I'm a big fan of the black "hammered finish" rustoleum. Costs about 3 bones and i can touch it up whenever i like.

lj
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on keeping your Jeep or possibly modifying it in the future the thin bumpers are 1 of the 1st things to be replaced.I,d save my money for something else.
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
phoen1c1an

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgrip
If you plan on keeping your Jeep or possibly modifying it in the future the thin bumpers are 1 of the 1st things to be replaced.I,d save my money for something else.

I'm with him, save your money and get some diferent bumpers
phoen1c1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Just Wade

Agreed.

I just swapped out my stock front bumper for one from AtoZ Fabrications.

My new one weighs about 45 pounds, but my stock one can be lifted with only three fingers! They are fairly useless bumpers, which is why aftermarket bumper sales are so strong.

Regarding Powder Coating, Zach offers a new, textured finish that is quite nice. I have my front and rear bumpers and my rock sliders all done in it; very cool looking and tough.

However, there seems to be a swing in opinion here on JF that POR-15 (I think that is what it is called) would be better since it protects just as well and can be touched up easily.

Also, many seem interested in having their rock rails and bumpers Rhino Lined.

I would NEVER, EVER spend the bones needed to Powder Coat, Rhino Line or Line-X a TJ,YJ or CJ stock bumper since they are worth less that the cost of the coating.

However, using a rattle can of Rustoleum Hammered would look great and would be super cheap if you have to stick with the very thin, almost useless stock bumpers for a while. They are okay, and many never change them out. But they are very flimsy if you look at them carefully, and if you choose to go off road a lot you will need to change them at some point.

Save your money for something that will make you happier in the end.

Regards!
Just Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
got4-Lo

use some spray paint. the OEM bunpers a so flimsy. i bent my front one on a rock

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
atxtj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper
i doubt it's worth the cost. I'm a big fan of the black "hammered finish" rustoleum. Costs about 3 bones and i can touch it up whenever i like.

lj
Agreed, I used that stuff on my front and rear bumpers, had the rockers powder coated, and couldn't really see a difference. It's not as tough as the powder coating though, and I never seem to touch anything up.

Hers: 1981 CJ-7
Under Construction.
atxtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

I also used the Rustoleum Hammered...for bumpers and rock sliders...and my custom half doors will be painted the same thing when I pick 'em up this weekend...

however, if you can find somebody that does powdercoating and can give you a deal, go for it...

there's a guy around here somewhere that will do anything you can fit in his oven for $200 a batch...and seeing as how his oven is built to do trailers for landscapers, you can get a LOT of junk in it...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
david.mciver

Not to steal the thread but tell me more about the custom half doors???
david.mciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.mciver
Not to steal the thread but tell me more about the custom half doors???
found a guy that had some diamond plating leftover from a roof rack...

said he'd "hack me out" a set of half doors for free...(gonna end up being $25 due to a couple parts, but that's basically free)...

I haven't seen them in person, but here are the two pics he showed me:

I just wanted something I could toss on to use driving to the trails, so it would keep a "little" heat in the TJ...I don't like to wheel with my hardtop or full doors...figured I could toss these in the back, or wheel with them, and wouldn't take a chance on damaging them like I would cloth half doors...

they even have a little arm rest welded on the top...now I just have to figure out which kind of latch we'll use...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2005, 10:59 PM   #11
david.mciver

For the $'s that is a steal!!! Knowing that spring is coming I am starting to think half doors as I am anxious to get the hard top off and enjoy the blue sky rather than the current white top!
david.mciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2005, 12:25 AM   #12
kpatrick

Save your stock bumpers, your local strip joint may run out of butt plugs. Find a nice aftermarket bumper of your choice and then line-x it. Extremely durable coating. Find a dealer that will work with you price wise. I had my skids and bumpers done for $120.00.
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #13
10HSD

Great info and advice guys, thanks...

/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)----)_)
10HSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #14
Wheelman

Yea I agree about the stock ones being weak....A 2mph hit to a tree took out my front one

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.