Potentially Dumb Question - BB and SL together? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Potentially Dumb Question - BB and SL together?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi280zx View Post
I'm assuming the full-kits have probably already taken driveline, motor, t-case and pitman / track bar positions into consideration...?
to go up to 4" of lift - a fairly complete lift - you're looking at around $2500+. That's a SYE, CV driveshaft, and a Savvy/Currie 4" lift, from Savvy Offroad. Then you're going to need brake upgrades, steering upgrades, skids, tires, etc. It'll be ~$5000-6000+ before you're "done".

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
to go up to 4" of lift - a fairly complete lift - you're looking at around $2500+. That's a SYE, CV driveshaft, and a Savvy/Currie 4" lift, from Savvy Offroad. Then you're going to need brake upgrades, steering upgrades, skids, tires, etc. It'll be ~$5000-6000+ before you're "done".
People have varying degrees of being done I guess. Some people can lift it 4" run the supplied transfercase drop kit and branded control arms and be done. It serves many people quite well. Even if you want all of that it can be purchased a couple of pieces at a time.

I would agree that the optimum way to go is exactly how you said it, but most can't afford to drop that kind of dough all at once. So I wanted to make sure the person knows it doesn't have to happen all at once. But you get what you pay for and if buy a cheap kit like rough country, well why do you think "rough" is in the name?
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi280zx View Post
Hey, all!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I was kinda looking at "marrying" a 2.5 suspension lift with the BB I currently have. Cost had a lot to do with this. However, it looks like I can possibly get a 4" RC lift with Nitros for under $500. This would essentially put me at the height I would like and stay within my budget. I've heard a lot of horror stories about SkyJackers, but people seem to be pretty satisfied with Zones, RCs and RE lift kits. I'm assuming the full-kits have probably already taken driveline, motor, t-case and pitman / track bar positions into consideration...?

Thanks,

James
Having owned a complete re super flex lift I can say I would buy the rc lift over it. Not sure how old the threads were you were reading, but not to many would suggest re anymore. The rc springs are progressive rate and are nice and long. They are not on par however with old man emu, or Savvy/Currie spring though. I have no experience with zone and can only say others seem to be happy with their springs. There is a misconception that because zone and bds are owned by the same parent company they are the same, but that's very doubtful.

Take my first piece of advice and go with the 3.75" rc lift if you are on a budget. It's a combination lift so you shouldn't need a case drop provided you add a mml. This kit will work fine on a light weight rig and serve you well. They also started offering the 2.0 shock as the standard in their kits, so the ride is much better. If you have plans to add a winch, bumpers and other heavy pieces than these aren't the right springs for you and it's time to look at old man emu spring.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you honestly think it gives you everything you need? Will it lift the jeep? Yeah. Will it fall apart? Probably not? Is it the correct way to do it? Absolutely not. Why do you think the RC kit is a quarter of the price of the savvy lift? People don't take quality into consideration as much as they should.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
ThatWhiteJeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remember RC has some of the best warranties on the market and their new control arms are acceptable. You won't get top of the line, but it will do the job. Just remember not to over extend your rig. Half the reason parts fail is driver error in overestimating its capabilities. You buy a cheap lift, it'll perform like a cheap. You buy an expensive lift, it'll perform as so (usually) If it's out of your budget for an expensive lift, you got no business going to extreme trails until it is built for it. Just my opinion.
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

High cost doesn't always equal high quality, sometimes it's simply high cost. Especially in the Jeep world you often find products that are identical, one is a name brand and one is a discount brand, they are made in the same factory by the same people but the name costs you double. I've been running RC lifts and products a long time, and people have been telling me for years that they won't last, and yet they seem to just keep working for me. Everyones needs will be different depending on your driving style, wheeling style and budget. Remember that this is a hobby, a way of life, and something we do to have fun, not every guy who hits a dirt track oval on the weekend is driving a 3rd gen NASCAR.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Do you honestly think it gives you everything you need? Will it lift the jeep? Yeah. Will it fall apart? Probably not? Is it the correct way to do it? Absolutely not. Why do you think the RC kit is a quarter of the price of the savvy lift? People don't take quality into consideration as much as they should.

That's more a matter of what you plan to do with it. You can add sway bar links, rear track bar bracket, disconnects, bump stop extensions, etc. Other than bump stop extension none of these other things are actually required to allow your suspension to function with such a small spring lift. They aren't savvy, but not everyone needs a savvy lift. The kit I suggested is simply 2.5" springs, shocks and a 1.25" body lift.

Right is a very subjective term when it comes to suspension. I had savvy 3" springs and they didn't work for my needs. They now offer .5"+- as an option and that helps to fine tune to your needs. Old man emu were the best springs for my own needs.
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616

That's more a matter of what you plan to do with it. You can add sway bar links, rear track bar bracket, disconnects, bump stop extensions, etc. Other than bump stop extension none of these other things are actually required to allow your suspension to function with such a small spring lift. They aren't savvy, but not everyone needs a savvy lift.

Right is a very subjective term when it comes to suspension. I had savvy 3" springs and they didn't work for my needs. They now offer .5"+- as an option and that helps to fine tune to your needs. Old man emu were the best springs for my own needs.
Exactly. So buying a lift just based on the price is a bad idea. I can't think of one reason why someone would NEED to lift right away, unless everything is broken. So why rush and buy the cheapest lift? I don't understand why people think the cheapest and highest lift they can buy is okay. Sure, it may suit people's needs, but most people don't think about it that way. They see "4" lift $500" and think its perfect. I'm not trying to be an *******, I just think people need to fully understand what they're doing.

Unread 04-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lol jftj
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #25
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

Please enlighten us as to why you think it is a stupid idea?

Why wouldn't you do it?
If you are going to lift anyway, why in the world would you try to calculate spring + spacer...just get the right SL.

Or if you don't want to work your mind too hard, get an SL and see how it sits. Add spacer accordingly.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #26
Slobert
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I see the OP is running 32" tires on a BB with a D35. no mention of lockers so I will assume they are open. I am in the same boat, 32's on a BB. If they OP just wants to lift it up on the cheap and shove some 33's or 35's on that d35 go ahead and stack some 2" springs on top of your BB. It will look kewl, but probably won't hold up well offroad. However, I would rather upgrade the drivetrain first then lift if you can't afford to do it all at once, that way you have an actual capable rig while you build in phases. I am saving for axle upgrades, gearing and lockers. It will stay at 2" lift and 32" tires for the forseable future.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #27
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post

Exactly. So buying a lift just based on the price is a bad idea. I can't think of one reason why someone would NEED to lift right away, unless everything is broken. So why rush and buy the cheapest lift? I don't understand why people think the cheapest and highest lift they can buy is okay. Sure, it may suit people's needs, but most people don't think about it that way. They see "4" lift $500" and think its perfect. I'm not trying to be an *******, I just think people need to fully understand what they're doing.

Because they look sick cruising the mall.
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616

Because they look sick cruising the mall.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.