Potentially Dumb Question - BB and SL together? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Potentially Dumb Question - BB and SL together?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
yoshi280zx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Potentially Dumb Question - BB and SL together?

Hey, all.

I've searched the forum, but can't seem to find anything on this. Please forgive me if this is a totally stupid question.

We all know people install body lifts and suspension lifts together all the time.

I currently have a 2" budget boost on my TJ. The time has come to replace suspension parts, bushings, etc. and I thought this would be a good time to go a little higher. Can you install a suspension lift and budget boost together? Has anyone tried this before? I know the motor mounts, t-case and other things might need to be moved around, but was wondering if this is ever really done...

Thanks!

yoshi280zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah you can do it.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi280zx View Post
Can you install a suspension lift and budget boost together?
you can, it's just a stupid idea.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't stack the 2" BB on the new springs, if you're going to buy new springs buy the size lift you want...

Some stack a .75" spacer on top of lift spring to level the front out after a heavy bumper and winch...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
you can, it's just a stupid idea.
Please enlighten us as to why you think it is a stupid idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
I wouldn't stack the 2" BB on the new springs, if you're going to buy new springs buy the size lift you want...

Some stack a .75" spacer on top of lift spring to level the front out after a heavy bumper and winch...

Why wouldn't you do it?
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
coil length & spring rate issue, coil bind, requires extra bumpstop extension resulting in loss in uptravel, requires longer shocks, to name a few things. basically, if you understand how suspensions work, it's pretty self explanatory.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
coil length & spring rate issue, coil bind, requires extra bumpstop extension resulting in loss in uptravel, requires longer shocks, to name a few things. basically, if you understand how suspensions work, it's pretty self explanatory.
A puck on top of a spring does NOT affect the spring rate. The spring rate is determined in the manufacturing process.

Bump stop extension is determined by the amount of lift and tire size, it doesn't matter if the lift is achieved via a puck or a spring.

Shock length would need to be dealt with regardless of if he did 4" springs or 2" springs and 2" pucks.

Coil bind is not an issue with 2" pucks.

Your right, the answer is pretty self explanatory if you understand suspension systems and how they work.

To the OP yes you can absolutely put 2" springs under 2" spacers, just keep in mind it is now a 4" lift and you will need the same components regardless of how you get your lift(straight spring or puck and spring). I like many people started out with a budget boost, then wanted bigger and added a bodylift, then came across a great deal on some OME springs, I ran them under the pucks for 2 years. I jumped, ran the whoops, mudded, was generally very hard on things. I had zero issues. I have friends that set up their TJ's in a similar way and it worked for them as well.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A puck on top of a spring does NOT affect the spring rate.
i'm well aware of that. but sticking a 2" puck on top of a soft 2" spring doesn't fix the root problem of the heavy winch & bumper someone added. springs of the proper rate and length do fix that problem.

Quote:
Bump stop extension is determined by the amount of lift and tire size, it doesn't matter if the lift is achieved via a puck or a spring.
there are a whole bunch more factors than just tire size.....and lift height has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Coil bind is not an issue with 2" pucks.
it absolutely is. that's the problem.

Quote:
Your right, the answer is pretty self explanatory if you understand suspension systems and how they work.
too bad you don't understand how they work
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i'm well aware of that. but sticking a 2" puck on top of a soft 2" spring doesn't fix the root problem of the heavy winch & bumper someone added. springs of the proper rate and length do fix that problem.
What does that have to do with the above post? Answer: nothing! He is just wanting to go bigger.

Quote:
there are a whole bunch more factors than just tire size.....
Quote:

it absolutely is. that's the problem.
I have been working on TJ's since they came out, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Coil bind is not an issue on 2" or smaller pucks.

Quote:
too bad you don't understand how they work
obviously
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Why wouldn't you do it?
I wouldn't do it because if I was going bigger I would just get the length springs I wanted instead of stacking the 2" BB back on top...

Op:
if you are buying a new lift just get the size lift you want to run and forget the BB... just my opinion tho.

wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes you can, and it's done quite regularly, the RC 3.25" lift consists of 2.5" springs with .75" spacers and it works very well. There is nothing wrong with it, it doesnt hurt springs or other components.

All that being said, if you have a 2" BB and your getting a suspension lift, I'm guessing your looking at around 2.5" springs, that will equate to 4.5" of lift and going that high will require a lot of other mods like adjustable control arms, SYE, bump stops, steering upgrade is very advisable at that height and a few other things like adjustable track bars and extended brake lines. What you would save by keeping your BB instead of just going to 4" springs is negligible compared to what that 4.5" of lift will cost to do properly.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have been working on TJ's since they came out, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Coil bind is not an issue on 2" or smaller pucks.
Now factor a 2" puck on top of a longer then stock lift spring and see how that works! This spring requires more space to avoid coil bind and adding a spacer increases the amount of bump stop extension required not to bind.

Yes, it will work. It simply isn't a good idea.

To the op. Why not just buy a 3.75" kit and be done with it. This kit is a good start if you don't plan on adding a lot of weight later. If you do plan on bumpers, winch, etc, you will want a heavier spring rate.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What does that have to do with the above post? Answer: nothing! He is just wanting to go bigger.
if he just wants to go a little bigger, he should add a 1.25" Body Lift. if he wants to go bigger than that, then it's time for a real 4" suspension lift, with appropriate 4" springs...and all associated components, like an SYE, control arms, track bars...etc

Quote:
but just because you've been working on TJ's since they came out, doesn't mean you know what you're doing. there's even plenty of horribly setup rigs out there done by "professional" shops.

here's some good reading to catch up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bu...points-734737/
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
yoshi280zx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, all!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I was kinda looking at "marrying" a 2.5 suspension lift with the BB I currently have. Cost had a lot to do with this. However, it looks like I can possibly get a 4" RC lift with Nitros for under $500. This would essentially put me at the height I would like and stay within my budget. I've heard a lot of horror stories about SkyJackers, but people seem to be pretty satisfied with Zones, RCs and RE lift kits. I'm assuming the full-kits have probably already taken driveline, motor, t-case and pitman / track bar positions into consideration...?

Thanks,

James
yoshi280zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

a 4" kit will still be 4" of lift, you would be well advised to concider a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift to maybe, and I stress maybe forstall the need for the SYE and CV shaft.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.