potential REBB install issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > potential REBB install issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

potential REBB install issue

Hello,

Just installing my REBB and something doesn't smell right. When i put the spacer, bumpstop extension, bumpstop and cup in the spacer is loose. Is that right?

Then i put the spring in, thinking the spring will push in and up. I unscrewed the spring compressors and the spring came out but it doesn't seem to be sitting perfectly against the spacer ... yet it looks exactly like this :
(can't tell how well his spring sits against the spacer in this photo)

my question is .... does rotating the spring make any difference what so ever in terms of how it sits against the 2" spacer? I ran out of daylight before i could put the wheel on and lower it ... don't know if that will change the way it sits against the spacer.

many thanks as always.

fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
Trombino
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life
Hello,

Just installing my REBB and something doesn't smell right. When i put the spacer, bumpstop extension, bumpstop and cup in the spacer is loose. Is that right?

Then i put the spring in, thinking the spring will push in and up. I unscrewed the spring compressors and the spring came out but it doesn't seem to be sitting perfectly against the spacer ... yet it looks exactly like this :
(can't tell how well his spring sits against the spacer in this photo)

my question is .... does rotating the spring make any difference what so ever in terms of how it sits against the 2" spacer? I ran out of daylight before i could put the wheel on and lower it ... don't know if that will change the way it sits against the spacer.

many thanks as always.
Make sure the spring is lined up with the little indentation on the spring perch. Then lower your jack and see if it is still loose. I am pretty sure it won't be.
'78 CJ7 -- Chevy 350 SBC, Holley 4-BBL, TH700R4, B&M Performance Shifter, Dana 300 w/ Twin Sticks, 3" Shackle Lift, 3" Body Lift, D30 Front (Disc), AMC 20 Rear w/ Moser 1-Piece, 4.10's, 35x12.50/15 General Grabber MT's, Cragar Soft 8's (15x8 w/ 4" BS)
Trombino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
tcestes

Let me know if this fixes it. I'm installing a BB on mine this weekend and want to avoid possible snags.
tcestes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Materdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcestes
Let me know if this fixes it. I'm installing a BB on mine this weekend and want to avoid possible snags.
Snags? This guy's just paranoid! I installed my BB in a little over an hour (mostly) by myself! I did have a little bit of help with somebody to step down on the axle so I could slip the spring in without a spring compressor... worked like a charm!
MyJeepRocks
Materdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Gritz

The spacer will be loose til you load up the axle. On my install, this happened when I went to the other side and put that spring in.

If you look on the top or bottom of the rear cups that the spring sits in, you should see where is rested before. I just put them back in that area. The fronts have spaces in the bottom cups there they should sit down into.

Gritz
dual tops
Colorado Jeep Club Member #102

"It is believed dinosaurs are extinct due to a giant meteor. That's true if you want to call Chuck Norris a giant meteor."
Gritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
idgit0488

Is it normal to not have retainer clips on the springs? Neither my driver or passenger side springs had clips. They are just held in by the weight of the jeep. This was only on the front though. I do not know what it's like in rear as I have not ad a chance to complete the rear.
Unread 09-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
alt13

There is suppose to be retainer clips on the bottom of the front springs, and none on the back.
alt13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
tcestes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt13
There is suppose to be retainer clips on the bottom of the front springs, and none on the back.
Why did they design jeeps like this? I would think that the weight of the front with the engine and all would be enough to make sure the springs stay in and would not need the retainers and that the back springs would be the ones that need retainers due to lack of weight resting on them, compared to the front.
tcestes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Gritz

I only had a retainer spring on one of my front springs, I believe it was the drivers side, but could be wrong. The spring actually just slid/rotated out from under the clip, then back in when I was re-installing, so I never had to undo it.

Gritz
dual tops
Colorado Jeep Club Member #102

"It is believed dinosaurs are extinct due to a giant meteor. That's true if you want to call Chuck Norris a giant meteor."
Gritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
tjchad

My '02 had/has no retaining clips at all. I bought it stock and did the BB myself- there were/are no clips. Been thinking about hitting the dealer for some though. Do I actually need them?

MATER (got it right, eh?)DADDY- I saw your pics on the site- lift looks good!
tjchad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
Materdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchad
My '02 had/has no retaining clips at all. I bought it stock and did the BB myself- there were/are no clips. Been thinking about hitting the dealer for some though. Do I actually need them?

MATER (got it right, eh?)DADDY- I saw your pics on the site- lift looks good!
Thanks, and Thanks!!!

To the original poster, mine had retaining clips on BOTH front springs. There was enough grime that I did pull them off, instead of trying to just 'unscrew' the spring from them.
MyJeepRocks
Materdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2006, 03:10 AM   #12
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

i had retaining clips on both of my front springs...well, i still have them.
as to the OP, did through your tires back on and drop your rig down to see if that moved everything back into place?
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.