Post OME 2.5 / 33x12.0 ?s, tire pressure, brakes, klangs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Post OME 2.5 / 33x12.0 ?s, tire pressure, brakes, klangs

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Post OME 2.5 / 33x12.0 ?s, tire pressure, brakes, klangs

Hi Folks,

We recently got our OME 2.5" lift on and finally got some 33"x12.5"r15 BFG A/Ts on our '99 TJ. We're both enjoying it though we've not had the opportunity to take it off pavement yet. Hopefully I'll remedy that in the next week or so. Running it around town I've noticed some things and have some questions.

The tire shop aired us up to 38 PSI, and the ride was a bit harsh compared to my 5 year old 30" BFG A/Ts at 30PSI. Yesterday I dropped it down to 30, and it seems a little better, but that could be wishful thinking on my part. What pressure would you all recommend for these tires? I've heard of a chalk test, but don't know how to do it or how to read the results. Could someone elaborate?

I've noticed the loss of power everyone talks about, and it's more than I was expecting. Can I get to 4.56 with just a ring and pinion swap for the 30/35 combination, or is there more involved? I can probably learn to live with it for the time being and hopefully within the next year either regear or do an entire axle swap.

What I wasn't expecting was how much more braking pressure I need to apply. There's a good chance my pads and rotors are close to replacement time anyway, so I am considering the EBC/Centric upgrade. Could someone point me to the proper part numbers and/or good place to purchase them?

Lastly, if I let the engine lug when starting from a stand still, I'll hear a clang from what seems to be the rear, and now from directly under me. I've looked at and pulled/pushed on everything I can think of under the Jeep, and spent time looking for scraped paint, rust etc. that might indicate a loose or vibrating part and can't find anything. It also seems to lug more easily, so I checked the clutch fluid and it is right up where it ought to be and I'm not feeling any degraded clutch performance. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam

'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103 View Post
The tire shop aired us up to 38 PSI, and the ride was a bit harsh compared to my 5 year old 30" BFG A/Ts at 30PSI. Yesterday I dropped it down to 30, and it seems a little better, but that could be wishful thinking on my part. What pressure would you all recommend for these tires? I've heard of a chalk test, but don't know how to do it or how to read the results. Could someone elaborate?
tire pressure for those should be around 26-29psi area. got any chalk? do a chalk test and find out....you're looking for an even wear pattern.

Quote:
I've noticed the loss of power everyone talks about, and it's more than I was expecting. Can I get to 4.56 with just a ring and pinion swap for the 30/35 combination, or is there more involved? I can probably learn to live with it for the time being and hopefully within the next year either regear or do an entire axle swap.
regearing isn't a difficult job, you just need the right tools and knowledge to use them. leave regearing to the professionals who do it everyday.

Quote:
What I wasn't expecting was how much more braking pressure I need to apply. There's a good chance my pads and rotors are close to replacement time anyway, so I am considering the EBC/Centric upgrade. Could someone point me to the proper part numbers and/or good place to purchase them?
braking is significant. i'm running the EBC/Centric's right now, i've run them on 31s and now 33s. they still leave quite a bit to be desired. Vanco brakes would be the way to go.
powerbrakes hydroboosts vacuum boosters everything for your extreme braking needs
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire , psi , gear , swap , brakes , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.