Possibly buying a wrangler..need some advice! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Possibly buying a wrangler..need some advice!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Possibly buying a wrangler..need some advice!

Okay so first off I'm from the cherokee forum as my baby is an xj. However, I may be put in a situation where I will have the chance to purchase a tj. My uncle has a 2000 tj sport 4.0l auto soft top with 182000 miles on it. It has a newer top on it, and newer stock tires. It is completely stock but has a few problems. He's not sure he wants to put money into the jeep. I know it needs a ujoint in the front axle and a pinion seal in the front too, however the jeep runs great. It has a little transmission slippage but has never had the tranny fluid or filter changed so I'm thinking that should fix that. The oil pressure gauge on the dash also is showing little to no pressure but without a knock from the engine, I suspect its a faulty sending unit. Soon I will have to pull out the mechanical gauge and check that out. The body of the jeep is literally completely rust free except for a spot on the driver's side front fender and some rust on the frame. There is also a small ding on the header panel but nothing too major. What I am wondering is how much would this jeep be worth to you guys with the damages, assuming there are no major problems and only $100 dollars worth of parts needing replaced, I can do the ujoint and pinion seal and tranny service myself. I'll try to get some pictures of the jeep in the next couple days to give you guys a look. I would really like to pick tis jeep up and put a little money into it to make it reliable and either sell it or drive it and have fun. Thanks for any help guys if I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to tell you.

Unread 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

bump guys..I'm just looking for a general idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

First off the tranny "has a little slippage", with 182k I don't think a fluid and filter change will help(not an expert opinion), it will probably slip lots more, then fail,... more than $100.00.
As far as the oil pressure, good call on the mechanical gauge, if its not pumping out good pressure, that will require another pump, gaskets and what ever else, ...more than $100.00.
U-joints and pinion seal, $100.00?
If your looking to make money on it, you would have to get it real cheap to deal with a dead transmission. Figure out what a junk yard tranny or rebuilt will cost, and the items needing repair, present it to your uncle, and have him price it before you make him offer.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well actually the tranny doesn't slip...I don't know why I described it as such. It hesitates to shift into drive sometimes, but once it shifts it doesn't slip at all. Also, it shifts smoothly once in gear. My uncle has had the tranny sucked out...I have never heard of this, but apparently they just suck out the sludge without taking down the tranny pan? He said it doesn't hesitate to shift into drive if this is done. So I figured the sludge is from using cheap fluid and not changing the filter. I figure that if the sucking helps with shifting that much, that good fluid and a filter change would probably do the trick. Thank you for the reply though. My uncle is not mechanically inclined in any way, other than taking it to get the oil changed and general service done. So he feels that the jeep isn't worth the time or money and I would like to save this jeep if I can.
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
colkerr
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In your first post you stated the tranny fluid has never been changed, now your saying it was sucked out. Either way a proper trans service is in order. Including filter.
colkerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Front axle u-joints are cheap and easy to do yourself (if you did them yourself it would probably cost no more than $20). If the engine actually has 0 oil pressure (confirm with mechanical gauge) then it has little life left. Again, a junkyard engine isn't that expensive ($300-800 depending on mileage) but swapping them is labor intensive. As far as rust, just make sure the frame is solid. Surface rust is on thing, but if there is any signs of rot dont buy the thing. As far as the transmission is concerned, it sounds like its on its way out as well.

Assuming the frame is OK I wouldnt pay more than 3000 for it, and even then I would be leery.
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkerr View Post
In your first post you stated the tranny fluid has never been changed, now your saying it was sucked out. Either way a proper trans service is in order. Including filter.
I definitely would be doing a tranny service if I buy this thing. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman12 View Post
Front axle u-joints are cheap and easy to do yourself (if you did them yourself it would probably cost no more than $20). If the engine actually has 0 oil pressure (confirm with mechanical gauge) then it has little life left. Again, a junkyard engine isn't that expensive ($300-800 depending on mileage) but swapping them is labor intensive. As far as rust, just make sure the frame is solid. Surface rust is on thing, but if there is any signs of rot dont buy the thing. As far as the transmission is concerned, it sounds like its on its way out as well.

Assuming the frame is OK I wouldnt pay more than 3000 for it, and even then I would be leery.
I know the u-joint would be easy and have done one. That's no big deal. Also, I will report back in a couple days confirming oil pressure, assuming my work and school schedule permits. I will also get pictures of the jeep soon too, and definitely get pictures of the frame. As far as rust vs. rot, what does rot specifically look like? not to sound like a newb. Thanks for the reply
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rot is considered to be rust that has damaged the structural integrity of an area. Use a screwdriver to poke around the frame (concentrate on the rear upper control arm area and along the bottom where the skid plate bolts up). If you find any soft spots, run.
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I buy and sell Jeeps and I wouldn't pay over $3000 for it.The tranny problem could be something as simple as adjusting the bands.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=460067
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got some pictures of the jeep. I got some of the parts in question too. If you look under the carpet, the floors are spotless. I also got pictures of the frame rust which seems like mostly surface rust to me. I do live in the rust belt. I also got pics of all the other rust of the jeep..the fender, windshield hinges, and ding on the hood. Please feel free to tell me what you think! I know the interior is dirty but its not tore up or anything major.
image-594667073.jpg   image-4117098356.jpg   image-518713052.jpg   image-18067183.jpg   image-3566666013.jpg  

image-1310683337.jpg   image-2898785370.jpg   image-2930943734.jpg   image-2976574750.jpg   image-497094042.jpg  

image-1469046388.jpg  
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Overall, looks nice, but some of that rust might be deep. Probe it to see if it's more than just surface rust. Pay special attention to the frame. The spot on the left fender might be an issue, but is easily repairable. The transmission condition is the biggest question, and is probably worth having a good shop check it out.
tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I decided while moving the jeep around to switch batteries in it to check the fluid in the transmission today..there was nothing on the dipstick. I did check it with the tranny in neutral too. That's a good reason for the tranny to shift weird if you ask me

Tags
advice , purchasing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.