Possible voltage problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Possible voltage problem?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
bhojara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Possible voltage problem?

Hi all.

I have a 99 sahara V6 that I've had for about a month and there are some really strange things going on and I wonder if it could all be related or if I'm in for a lot of different repairs.

1. The right turn signal only blinks when I give the engine a little gas. When braking or sitting at a stop with my foot on the break the signal is just solid but starts blinking as soon as I give it gas again. If I am at a stop and take my foot off of the break it will blink.

2. The heater/ac blower only works on the first two settings. On 3 or 4 it just shuts off.

3. The headlights are always on. When I first bought it a month ago this wasn't the case but then they came on and I can't turn them off. I have an always on setting, a low setting which seems to be the same, and high beams. Is this a sahara option and it just started working or is something wrong? I haven't had it long enough to know what is normal.

4. The check engine light came on recently and I had a low voltage trouble code and a faulty TPS trouble code. I replaced the TPS and the check engine light went out for a week or so but came back on. I put a new battery in it and the light is currently back off but I'm wondering if this is all related to a faulty alternator or something else? Or just a bunch of different problems and I need to buy a good set of wrenches.

Any help would be appreciated!

bhojara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
catsknr
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Problems

Your problems are probably all related to the v6 engine.
Just Empty Every Pocket
catsknr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
CaptainColon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhojara View Post
Hi all.

I have a 99 sahara V6 that I've had for about a month and there are some really strange things going on and I wonder if it could all be related or if I'm in for a lot of different repairs.

1. The right turn signal only blinks when I give the engine a little gas. When braking or sitting at a stop with my foot on the break the signal is just solid but starts blinking as soon as I give it gas again. If I am at a stop and take my foot off of the break it will blink.
Multi-function switch. They're notoriously horrible.

Quote:
2. The heater/ac blower only works on the first two settings. On 3 or 4 it just shuts off.
Mine has the same issue except it only works on 3 and 4 . Most likely the contacts for those settings are worn out...I think the individual switches are replaceable but you'd probably have to pull em at a yard...I've only ever seen the complete HVAC console for sale at parts places, and it's pricey.

Quote:
3. The headlights are always on. When I first bought it a month ago this wasn't the case but then they came on and I can't turn them off. I have an always on setting, a low setting which seems to be the same, and high beams. Is this a sahara option and it just started working or is something wrong? I haven't had it long enough to know what is normal.
I'd guess the headlight switch, but the circuit is so convoluted that there are a couple things it could be. I can't remember exactly how it's wired but I know headlight power runs through the multifunction switch. It has its own 4-pin connector...if you don't mind going without hibeams until its fixed then you can unplug this connector and simply jump the solid green and purple/white wires. My 2000 is currently set up this way because my multifunction switch likes to randomly flash people. You can activate the high-beams by jumping the other two connectors together, but this won't turn off the low beams...I've run my hibeams for extended periods like this without issue, but I still worry about heat buildup.

If your lights are still on after unplugging that connector then they're getting power from somewhere they shouldn't be and you've got some detective work to do. Welcome to Chrysler electrical, enjoy your self-loathing!

Quote:
4. The check engine light came on recently and I had a low voltage trouble code and a faulty TPS trouble code. I replaced the TPS and the check engine light went out for a week or so but came back on. I put a new battery in it and the light is currently back off but I'm wondering if this is all related to a faulty alternator or something else? Or just a bunch of different problems and I need to buy a good set of wrenches.
Do you remember the exact low voltage code number? It could well be related to the headlights draining the old battery all the time and ruining it.

Good luck with the repairs and remember: you always have a shoulder to cry on here.
CaptainColon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
bhojara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I didn't keep the printout of the code after the check engine light cleared when I replaced the TPS. I'll give it a week and surely it will come back on again. That seems to be the pattern.

Thank you so much for the response. Out of all of the issues I have the only one that really bothers me is the turn signal. I don't need a high fan setting. It's a jeep. The world is my air conditioner. The headlights being on isn't a big deal either since they at least turn off when the engine is off. I just wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Seemed a little odd for them to always be on but then again in some places its the law that you have to have them on all the time anyway so I guess I don't have to worry about that ever being a problem.

I'll check into the multi function switch. That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks again!
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
CaptainColon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just remembered that blower motor resistors are fairly cheap and easy to replace. One of those should fix your air.

I know you said it wasn't really worth fixing...just wanted to make it lnown that I am on fact a doofus.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using JeepForum
CaptainColon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hi all.

I have a 99 sahara V6
Are you sure you don't have a 4.0L inline six?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
bhojara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good catch, Knucklehead.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Being that you live in Michigan, someone correct me if im wrong, could you have gotten Canadian TJ with DRL (Daytime Running Lights)?

ETA: US model TJs, if left turn on, lights wont turn off when engine is shut off.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
bhojara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The vin begins with a 1 so I assume that means its from the US but a lot of things don't look original so who knows. I don't know the history of it beyond who I bought it from and he only had it for 6 months and said he never worked on it.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
bhojara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well I just looked it over. I do have a DRL module on the firewall. I also see a nice big red maple leaf on the the door jam body tag and the words "manufactured by Chrystler Canada LTD" I think you might be right.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I just looked it over. I do have a DRL module on the firewall. I also see a nice big red maple leaf on the the door jam body tag and the words "manufactured by Chrystler Canada LTD" I think you might be right.
There you go, you can scratch that off the list...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.