Is it possible to flush mount... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it possible to flush mount...

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
BunnyHunter

Is it possible to flush mount...

Normal, square Jeep taillights? I love the standard look but hate the jutt-out. I want them flush. If anything, I want those new ones in quadratec.
Is there a way to flush mount lights like those...like stock?!?!?!

Thanks!
Kim

It's my daily drive. If I roll it, I'm *&^%$#ed.
BunnyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
wayoflife

as a matter of fact, yes. i have seen plenty of guys do this. unfortunatly, i don't know of any write-ups out there on how best to do this.
wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
04TJFan

Take off the light and make a template of the back of the light up to the flat ridge that the lens mounts to. You may have to do a little trimming to make the template fit just right. You want to be able to slide the whole light assembly thru the hole and have it rest on the flat ridge. Now you may have to take off all the reflectors and license lightl lenses and such on the sides so you just have a smooth outer shell. You'll probably have to make some covers for the holes that fit inside the light bucket if you don't have the abililty to weld the holes shut. Make sure theres nothing behind where you want to put the light and cut the hole to the size of your new template. Finish the edges to prevent rust. Cut a thin gasket out of stock material to seal the flange to the body and slide the light bucket into the hole you made. You will have to drill a few holes in the lip of the light to secure it to the body, then put the lens back on and your done.

It's easy to write up how to do it but it you pay attention to details and take your time you should be able to do this yourself.

Good Luck and post some pictures when your done.
Scott
[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
UTAH

I haven't checked, but NJ might have statute defining the requirement of lighted rear plates.

(Note: my Jeep is not legal in a few areas either, but with our lax enforcement - it's not an issue here)

Bill
Unread 07-20-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The stock rear light assemblies also provide side reflector and red running light functions, and license plate illumination on the left side. If you sink the lights flush you will be missing such required equipment, or have to replace these functions with seperate lights and reflectors.

In fact you are unlikely to get pulled over for such equipment infractions. However if a cop pulls you over for a moving violation, that's an easy additional thing he will add to the ticket if he doesn't like your attitude. The other item is if you are ever hit in a rear collision, whoever hit you can say the real cause was your illegal modification and missing required safety equipment.

It's not worth it IMHO just for the look.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
04TJFan

The description I gave is the basic process for doing the modification that was asked about. The attention to details line is meant to cover the additional modifications that will arise from doing the modification. It is the owners resposibilty to make sure that there motor vehicle meets the code of what ever state or country they live in. Sometimes the customizing process is easier than the modifications to make it legal. Just my .02

Scott
[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #7
BunnyHunter

Ummm...yeah.
Not worth it. Think I'll just buy the upgraded "fashion" lights and go with those.
Loveofmylife just baught new taillights for the 61 Willy's and the rounds would look awesome...but again...don't want separate back-up lights and I like the convenience of the clip for the wiring. I'm not into rewiring the whole rig to fit a pretty light!

Thanks for all the input!
Kim

It's my daily drive. If I roll it, I'm *&^%$#ed.
BunnyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 02:20 PM   #8
his15153

I'm not sure about the side reflectors, but as for the license plate light, that is an easy fix. Theirs a kit available that has LED lights built into the nuts that hold the license plate. That will allow the license plate to still have the necessary lighting.
his15153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.