possible drive line vibes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > possible drive line vibes

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

possible drive line vibes

hi i have an 06 wrangler X with a series 2 lift from rough country. i added rear upper adjustable control arms, adjustable rear track bar, and a Perf. Steering Stabilizer. nothing has helped the vibrations. the adjustable control arms helped the angles from the lift but it didnt help the vibrations, short of replacing the drive shaft and getting a YSE i dont know what else to do...i dont have the cash to do the DS/YSE atm.

i can post pictures of anything just ask and i will take them.

suggestions pls! if im leaving any info out/if you need more info i will do my best to give the correct info.

jeepguyvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A series II 4" lift? A MML or small t case drop with washers would fix it.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it has a drop case..im thinking i might have to much of an angle...im gonna take it some where level and try to get a better measurement. my drive way is all kinds of messed up. it says its about 14.6 degrees and should be around 9 im hearing. ill get a accurate measurement tomorrow. but im guessing thats my issue. i was frustrated couldnt think till a friend came and helped...i see clearly now!
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguyvt View Post
it has a drop case..im thinking i might have to much of an angle...im gonna take it some where level and try to get a better measurement. my drive way is all kinds of messed up. it says its about 14.6 degrees and should be around 9 im hearing. ill get a accurate measurement tomorrow. but im guessing thats my issue. i was frustrated couldnt think till a friend came and helped...i see clearly now!
If it's the 4" lift,the t case drop isn't enough.I've installed many RC 4" lifts and a MML would let you get rid of most of the t case drop.Both Jeeps have RC 4" lift with a MML and 5/8" t case drop and NO vibes.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i took it to a shop this morning and they said the angle is good now...but the U joints need to be replaced because of the angle they were at. cheap and easy fix hopefully it will fix it
Unread 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ya, just changing the operating angle on shafts can cause vibs sometimes because it throws them out of phase. Essentially the joints get used to operating where they are at, and wear accordingly. If you change that angle, it can really bring to light how worn the joints actually are.

Common issue after lifting.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

the shaking is fixed for the most part after the U joint replacement. Now my only issue is the steering wheel since i put in a new steering stabilizer it kinda feels like the wheel is pulling the right when i hit a bump, the alignment is good. and i seem to have alot of play in the steering wheel. it didn't do this post lift...only post steering stabilizer, i checked it, it doesn't seem to be damaged or loose. it also feels different turns left then it does right....but that might all be in my head =/

Perf. Steering Stabilizer from roughtcountry.com
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguyvt View Post
the shaking is fixed for the most part after the U joint replacement. Now my only issue is the steering wheel since i put in a new steering stabilizer it kinda feels like the wheel is pulling the right when i hit a bump, the alignment is good. and i seem to have alot of play in the steering wheel. it didn't do this post lift...only post steering stabilizer, i checked it, it doesn't seem to be damaged or loose. it also feels different turns left then it does right....but that might all be in my head =/

Perf. Steering Stabilizer from roughtcountry.com
You might as well be describing my Jeep. Wicked vibrations under acceleration turned out to be a bad U-joint on the rear driveshaft. Wonky steering was caused by the drop pitman arm that was part of the lift kit. Swapped it out for a stock pitman arm and life is good.
OCS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #9
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ya my pitman arm is stock =/ series 2 kit from RC
Unread 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
jeepguyvt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ya it definitely seems like the steering stabilizer is bad....its new though guess ill give RC a call

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.