POR 15 or Monstaliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > POR 15 or Monstaliner

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

POR 15 or Monstaliner

Ok, Here's the deal. I've got the funds to do either POR on the bottom of my jeep, or Monstaliner on the tub floor.

I just can't decide which to do first. I'm sick of the carpet in the jeep, but under the carpet is pretty well wore through the paint.

The bottom of the jeep is ok I guess. The frame isn't bad, but where the front fenders bolt to the tub are pretty rusty, and there is some rust starting where the drain hole plugs are on the floor. Also, there is some rust where my "relay center" is mounted on the right fender.

What would you guys do? I'm thinking do the monstaliner, and get some frame paint as a guy at work suggested and hit the bottom of the tub with it.

With the rust issue, I'm really picky about cleaning the bottom of the jeep after getting it muddy/salty. At LEAST once a week I hose it down really good. More so in the lovely Illinois winter. Thought that might help you decide what to do.

Jbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There was a promo where if you bought monstaliner you got a free quart of chassis saver, I don't know if it is still going on.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Legace

Por everything and then go over with liner. Por is cheap. A gallon should do the whole thing and then some - you can brush on yourself, but wear gloves.
Legace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Burns95
2004 WJ 

DEFINITELY wear gloves. I POR-15'd my frame the night before my wife went into labor with our son. I had paint on my hands for a week. She wasn't impressed that I had paint fingers for the newborn pictures. Ahhh. live and learn.
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're fine with leaving the inside of the tub bare for a while. Mine was bare for over a year before I lined it. Just ditch that carpet, it's not doing you any good. Much of the paint was rubbed off and the jeep was filled with water, mud and crap several times, along with being rained in. No rust ever developed. You'll be fine. I'd definitely take care of the frame first. But with that said, I don't think POR is needed. I'd just remove the tires and skid plate, clean up the frame really well, grind off all rust if there is any, hit it with a coat or two of primer, and finish with a couple coats of black enamel. It does the job very well, looks great, and is easy to touch up when you ding the frame.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

I did all this today with the small pint can. POR goes a long way!

Today I got am inch and started with the floor pans and ended up doing the entire frame. I'm gonna Duraline the tub in a few weeks.

supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

Right now my main concern is the underside of the tub. Where the fenders bolt to the tub more specifically.The frame looks pretty good and I keep it flushed out. Is there any rust proofing from the factory on the underside of the tub?

At the fender/tub mounting point it's pretty bad (I'll get pics when I can), and there is a little starting at the drain plugs. I think I'll remove the drain plugs as they look like hell and are rusty themselves.
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Supersport, Did you do the steps listed on the POR website? The marine clean, and the neutralizer stuff, then POR? How far on the bottom of the tub did you do? All the way to the trans?
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbecker View Post
Thanks guys.

Right now my main concern is the underside of the tub. Where the fenders bolt to the tub more specifically.The frame looks pretty good and I keep it flushed out. Is there any rust proofing from the factory on the underside of the tub?

At the fender/tub mounting point it's pretty bad (I'll get pics when I can), and there is a little starting at the drain plugs. I think I'll remove the drain plugs as they look like hell and are rusty themselves.
It's good you keep the frame flushed out, that's a great way to keep the frame in great shape. I'm not sure about the rust proofing but I don't have an ounce of rust on the underside of the tub. I'm pretty OCD about rust and I've never felt the need to paint the underside of the tub. And again, if you wanted to, you don't need to spend a ton of money. Some rattle can enamel does a GREAT job.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbecker View Post
Supersport, Did you do the steps listed on the POR website? The marine clean, and the neutralizer stuff, then POR? How far on the bottom of the tub did you do? All the way to the trans?
NO. I degreased the floor pans and planed on just doing them since I'm gonna "bedline" the tub anyways but I got carried away as usual. I just started painting the fame and figured what the hell, cant hurt! I still need to do between the fram rails...I only had enough for what you see. And yes, all the way to the trans and rear wheel wells.
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd do the monstaliner for the tub because like you said you keep the undercarriage looking good.
Jay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

Looks like I know what my plans are for saturday after work. This is my first jeep and I plan on keeping it for quite some time.
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #13
Legace

You don't need to follow the directions on the website. If you have any bubbling, grind it down or hit it with a crud cutter, but you can paint right over the rust as you see fit.
Legace is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.