Popping noise when start moving.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Popping noise when start moving..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
lennyg

Popping noise when start moving..

00 wrangler,4.0 manual,150K miles

When starting to move there is a popping noise coming from somewhere under the jeep. I thought maybe it was the u-joints going out but If I coast and turn sharp corners it doesn't do it. When you first start moving forward it pops. Almost the same kind of sound you get when a tranny pops out of gear but its not.When turning corners it gets worse and it pops even more until you get going straight. While driving normal it does not pop. Only when you first get the jeep moving.
I climbed under the jeep and grabbed the front drive shaft and tried turning it. It doesn't move much but there is kind of a clank sound coming from the right side somewhere. Any ideas on this?? Could it be low on lube? I thought about removing the front drive shaft to see if that would do anything.
This is my ex wifes jeep and the only way she has to drive back and forth to work so I need to try and get this fixed asap.

lennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
lennyg

Update..

Removed front drive shaft..Popping noise still there. It sounds like someone is hitting something with a mallet. Only seems to do it when you first start moving and when turning some corners.small turns seem to be ok,but when turning onto another street it pops sometimes several times untill the jeep straightens out.
Checked Fluid level.-its right at the bottom of the hole where it should be.

I cant see/feel anything else loose on the front. IM going o takeit to aparking lot and make sure it is Straight as can be and start off and see if it pops. I know it pops when turning corners.
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
red2001tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check the torque on your control arm and track bar bolts. I had a consistent pop every time I started and it turned out one of my upper control arm bolts was a little loose.
red2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
97_tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

mine would squeek and pop come replaced my worn out lower arm bushing and has been quite as a kitten ever since
97_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

this Jeep doesn't by chance have a factory trac-loc in it does it?
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
lennyg

I saw in another post something about the transfer case chain slipping.
I took it to a parking lot and started off moving straight and it is still popping. It sometimes sounds like three or four people are hitting something on the botom with a mallet,other times its just one pop or two. I had the jeep moving about 20 and turned some really sharp turns and there was no popping. Its only under accleration that it is popping.. This jeep has been off road very little, it is driven about 98% highways back and forth to work. I dont see how the chain could stretch out when 4x4 is very rarely used at all.
Is there any way to verify or rule out the transfer case chain?
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
lennyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977
this Jeep doesn't by chance have a factory trac-loc in it does it?
Not sure. How do I check that?
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
red2001tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Removing the front drive shaft rules out the tc chain most likely since the chain will only move in 2WD if the front driveshaft is connected.
red2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same issue, and i was convinced my tranny was jumping around .... due to vibes.

I was all set to do a Motor Mount lift, but in the meantime i changed my shocks from cheap RE twin tubes to Old Man Emus, once changed i took it for a test drive and the popping, clunking was gone completely .... guess it was a bad shock because I've been clunk free for a week now....

not sure if it's the same as your problem, just a possiblity, since i had the same type of sound right at take off as well.
Not saying go out and buy new shocks, just give them a good inspection for leaks, loose bolts etc etc.
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
lennyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2001tj
Removing the front drive shaft rules out the tc chain most likely since the chain will only move in 2WD if the front driveshaft is connected.
I removed the front drive shaft from the axle but left it connected to the TC. pulled it about 5 feet forward and it started popping. I was watching the drive shaft to make sure it wasn't turning at all.
If not the chain...any other ideas???
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
lennyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life
I had this same issue, and i was convinced my tranny was jumping around .... due to vibes.

I was all set to do a Motor Mount lift, but in the meantime i changed my shocks from cheap RE twin tubes to Old Man Emus, once changed i took it for a test drive and the popping, clunking was gone completely .... guess it was a bad shock because I've been clunk free for a week now....

not sure if it's the same as your problem, just a possiblity, since i had the same type of sound right at take off as well.
IM pretty sure its not a shock. It only does it when under accel. When stopping,it does not do it and if im driving and give it some gas it sometimes does it also.
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The easiest way to tell if you got a trac-lok is to get ahold of your build sheet. If it's not working, I don't know a good way to tell. Maybe someone else on here does. I don't remember the link for getting the build sheet, but I'm sure it's on the forum here in enough places. Does it do it around corners? If so, it really sounds like clutch packs in the trac-lok to me.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyg
IM pretty sure its not a shock. It only does it when under accel. When stopping,it does not do it and if im driving and give it some gas it sometimes does it also.
Mine only did it on take off, never while driving ... but i'm sure glad it's gone.
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #14
NJStriper
2003 WJ 

The problem I'm trying to describe in the other thread sounds like the same thing. I'm pretty sure I have the factory trac-lok. What could be the problem with that?
NJStriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
jeepnmike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How about the TC shifter linkage? Mine does the same thing, especially on bumps. There is a TSB for it which I havent done yet. Check yours out. The bushings/collars/etc suppsedly wear out and make a lot of noise

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.