popped out of alignment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > popped out of alignment?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-04-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
splitskater

popped out of alignment?

i just got out of the woods, when i went in my steering wheel was straight, when going through a mud puddle i started to get bogged down gave it some gas and hit a rock or something solid in the puddle pretty hard, well when i got back out on the road i noticed that in order to steer straight that the steering wheel had to be turned halfway to the left to go straight, it doesnt pull either way but has to be halfway turned to go straight, upon inspection nothing seems broken, no noises when turning the wheel, when parked i straightned the wheel and the tires were turned to the left a decent amount.

is it just out of alignment or could it be another issue that i am not seeing?

OME 2 1/2" HD Lift Kit
Warn Front bumper
Stinger guard
Currie HD Steering kit
BDS Adjustable track bar

Auctions End 10/29/06 Ebay username is: splitskater

check it out, PM me for any questions

5-31" Kumho MTs on cragars FOR SALE in Jeep Forum Classifieds
splitskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
CWaldrop

Alignment and Centering the Steering Wheel write up found here
CWaldrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
splitskater

yea i have seen that write i was just wondering if it could possibly be anything else that my cause this besides a simple alignment. thanx for the response

OME 2 1/2" HD Lift Kit
Warn Front bumper
Stinger guard
Currie HD Steering kit
BDS Adjustable track bar

Unread 12-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
CWaldrop

My only suggestion would be to do the alignment and if symptoms still exist go from there. If everything looks fine in your steering components I would assume alignment.
CWaldrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitskater
i just got out of the woods, when i went in my steering wheel was straight, when going through a mud puddle i started to get bogged down gave it some gas and hit a rock or something solid in the puddle pretty hard, well when i got back out on the road i noticed that in order to steer straight that the steering wheel had to be turned halfway to the left to go straight, it doesnt pull either way but has to be halfway turned to go straight, upon inspection nothing seems broken, no noises when turning the wheel, when parked i straightned the wheel and the tires were turned to the left a decent amount.

is it just out of alignment or could it be another issue that i am not seeing?
I bet you bent something. Jeeps just don't go out of alignment on their own.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
Muddeprived

I'm betting you bent your tie-rod. It's the thin tube going across your axle, right in front. Check that (it may appear straight but could be bent towards the axle). It's a really cheap part though
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
splitskater

just did the front end aligmnent and recentered the steering wheel, my toe-in was fine, but it does feel like there is a slight pull but very little, it may just be me buggin out and thinking it is, the first thing i did when a get home was check for bent components, the tie-rod is not bent to the eye, but it could be just not noticeable, i didnt think it could just pop out of alignment like that either but i will take it to my friends shop for a second opinion. any other ideas i would like to hear them

OME 2 1/2" HD Lift Kit
Warn Front bumper
Stinger guard
Currie HD Steering kit
BDS Adjustable track bar

Unread 12-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The drag link can start to bend out [straighten] right where that curve is. This will cause what you experienced. If you find your steering off-center again I'll bet that's what's happening. Sooner or later the steering will start to hit the swaybar link mounts. Compare it to another TJ. See how much clearance you have when your wheel is turned hard right.
jim
Unread 12-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #9
StealthTJ

Yup, you've undoubtably, bent the drag link.

If you're going to play the "when in doubt, throttle it out" silly game, then it's time to start upgrading

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
splitskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog
The drag link can start to bend out [straighten] right where that curve is. This will cause what you experienced. If you find your steering off-center again I'll bet that's what's happening. Sooner or later the steering will start to hit the swaybar link mounts. Compare it to another TJ. See how much clearance you have when your wheel is turned hard right.
jim
unfortunately, i dont have another tj to compare to, i did have to turn the drag link several times to get the wheel straight, it didnt look bent but i will examine it more tomm when i have more light, thanx for the reply

OME 2 1/2" HD Lift Kit
Warn Front bumper
Stinger guard
Currie HD Steering kit
BDS Adjustable track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.