Poly bumpstop spacer or washers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poly bumpstop spacer or washers

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Poly bumpstop spacer or washers

I'm in the middle of installing my 2" lift and I am now debating if I should use the poly bumpstop spacers or just use fender washers. I have concerns if the poly will be strong enough. Does anyone have reasons why one is better over the other or if poly is too weak. Will the washers work?

Here is the spacers I was considering using
https://www.shopatron.com/products/p...2.2477.0.0.0.0

Should I use this or would a thick stack of washers be strong and better? I think the spacer would look more professional, but I have concerns about the strength.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the poly is fine. don't put those on the front tho - rear only. on the front, you'll distort/bend the shock tower if you hit upper extensions hard enough, and the spring will rub worse on the bumpstop cup.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I suspect the poly spacers are stronger than you are thinking. I would use them. They are certainly more aesthetically pleasing and in your climate they won't rust or corrode, a win/win proposition in my mind.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Maybe I will use them. I was just concerned they would crush and crumble on me. They definetely would look nicer and would not rust. Do some lift kits come with poly spacers like these?

Unlimited04 - Thanks for the points on bending the tower. I never thought about that. I was aware they could rub the coils up front but I was willing to take that risk. I was not aware of possibly bending the shock tower. That I don't want to do. So what are some good last minute options for front bumpstops? All I can think of is drilling a hole through a hockey puck and mounting it to the axle plate. Are there any other good ideas for the front bumpstop?

Dang this kind of sucks. I thought I had everything all set and ready to go. I didn't plan on changing bumpstops last minute. But if I could bend the tower I'd rather do this now than try to fix that later. Thanks for any additional suggestions.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Currie front bumpstops are kinda the cadillac of the bunch. RE makes spring pad mounted versions i believe. theres always hockey pucks. you can make some out of steel or aluminum on a lathe.
Unread 06-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Currie front bumpstops are kinda the cadillac of the bunch. RE makes spring pad mounted versions i believe. theres always hockey pucks. you can make some out of steel or aluminum on a lathe.
I guess I'll drill the holes for the hockey pucks. My problem is that I am installing the lift as we speak. So I don't have time to order things or get someone with a lathe to build them. I thought I had it all planned out before hand. So I'm kind of kicking myself now. I still question those poly spacers in the rear too. I wish I would have ordered the aluminum OME ones I had looked at. But these were recommended by someone on the forum so I thought they'd be good. But as I put them on I just got a little nervous about the strenght of the plastic. But I'll trust the wisdom of the forum and use them.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I epoxied hockey pucks for the front instead of drilling / bolting. Still on after 2 years. I did scruff the pucks with rough sandpaper before using the epoxy.
Unread 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I got the rear done. I spent about 2 hours running around town but didn't find anything better to use for bumpstops. So I used the poly. I hope you guys are correct that they are strong enough. Now its on to the front. I really don't know how I will be able to drill thruogh that 1/4 steel plate. I was counting on using those poly spacers up front too. But I really don't want to bend my tower. Its hard to believe that extending them an extra inch could do that. That bumpstop tower is pretty tall already. It seems it would be strong enough for one more inch if it was strong enough stock. But I don't want to take chances. I'll try to drill something out. Worse case scenario I guess I have to use the poly and hope I never hit it that hard to bend things.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Opps O see my other post didn't get posted until just now.

Anyway, I've got the front apart now and I was just going to try and drill out that plate. But I was wondering just how common is it for a 1" bumpstop extension to hit the spring? I can see that it might be able to just barely rub the spring but its hard to believe that it would be of any concern. Especially to the point of bending the shock tower. Is that really a possibility? I don't doubt that it has happened once or twice with longer extension, but will I really have problems with a 1" extension on a 2" lift. It just doesn't look very likely from what I can see right now. Thanks for the help.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Don't extend the bumpstops from the top for the front end. Use hockey pucks on the spring pad.
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I took the drill to it and I did get a couple of 5/16 holes drilled. Someone said in another thread that is the correct size to tap out for a 3/8" tap. Hopefully that is correct and I don't have to drill them out any more. Tomorrow I will go out and buy a tap. I got a feeling that will be a tough job. Between the spacer that is welded on and the normal plate there is about a 1/2" if steel to tap out. I've never done that before so it should be interesting. I'd love to just drop a bolt through there but I cant see anyway to get a tool in on the passenger side to hold a nut on as I tighten things down. So I'll try to tap it out. Hopefully that will work. Then I will have the front done the best way it can be done. Then I might have to order some aluminum spacers for the rear and do that more solid as well. I still have reservations on those plastic spacers but there in there now.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

ohhh i forgot you've got a rubicon. Rubicon's have the 1/4" plates welded to the spring pad. just drill and tap it with 1/2-13 UNC. real easy!
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ohhh i forgot you've got a rubicon. Rubicon's have the 1/4" plates welded to the spring pad. just drill and tap it with 1/2-13 UNC. real easy!
Yeah this is one time I wish I didn't have the Rubicon. Oh well,I can deal with it for the Rubicon package.

I've got it drilled out 5/16 to tap it for a 3/8 bolt. That should be strong enough. All the pressure is downward as far as I can tell. So all the bolt has to do is hold on the hockey puck. I was going to drill it out for a 1/2 tap but that seemed like a big job to drill a bigger hole. Hopefully I can still use the smaller hole if I later get the JKS bumpstops like these.

JKS Manufacturing: Coil Spring Suspension

I read the directions and saw they wanted a bigger hole, which I could understand if I was using a full 4" bumpstop, but I think for my 1" bumpstop the 3/8 will work.

Well, time for some lunch and then off to tap the pads. Hopefully that will go smooth and I can get everything installed in a short time today. Yesterday really drug out for me. Although I did enjoy getting some bonding time with my Jeep.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

drilling and taping the hole is easy, no matter what size you're using. most people just do it wrong, making it far more complicated than it really is.

1. make sure to use lubrication.
2. make sure to use liberal amounts of lubrication
3. use a drill/tap chart so you know what bit to use.
4. don't have the bit specified? then buy it, or better yet a kit with it inside!
5. when drilling larger holes, remember to drill a pilot hole. I generally use a 1/4" or 1/8" pilot hole bit.

http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm

A big bit eats through any metal so much better with a pilot hole and lubrication.
Unread 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
drilling and taping the hole is easy, no matter what size you're using. most people just do it wrong, making it far more complicated than it really is.

1. make sure to use lubrication.
2. make sure to use liberal amounts of lubrication
3. use a drill/tap chart so you know what bit to use.
4. don't have the bit specified? then buy it, or better yet a kit with it inside!
5. when drilling larger holes, remember to drill a pilot hole. I generally use a 1/4" or 1/8" pilot hole bit.

Thread - Drill & Tap Chart

A big bit eats through any metal so much better with a pilot hole and lubrication.
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I had the holes done by the time I read them. But I really didn't have any trouble. Although it did take a long time. I didn't use a pilot hole but I did use plenty of oil. I also took short breaks (1-2min) when I put the oil on to let things cool of a little. I used a 5/16 bit and tapped it out to 3/8. It seems to have worked pretty well. I also counter sunk my bolts into the hockey pucks by using some flat spade drill bits that I had. It turned out pretty nice I thought.

So now I am finished and the lift is on. Overall the lift drives quite nice. My only real complaint is that I only got 1 1/2" of lift up front and 2" of lift in the rear. If I get any settling I'll really be dissapointed. I'll post a more indepth review later tonight. I haven't decided yet where to post it though. I'll try to give a link later.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Tags
bumpstop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.