POLL! Rough Country 2.2 shocks - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > POLL! Rough Country 2.2 shocks

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the RC 2.2 shocks?
My 2.2's ride as good or better than stock 69 51.49%
My 2.2's are horrible 24 17.91%
I don't own 2.2's I'm just here to flame 41 30.60%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #31
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
You need another option - "I feel they began leaking with far too few miles on them."

Or another option might be - "I know longer own RC 2.2 shocks, they went in the trash."
Leaking issues: warranty claims are handled instantly and without whining, unlike many companies. This is far more an installation issue; I'd rather have longer shocks and relocate my mounts to use the length, but yes did ship a lot of 'too long' ones at first. Leaking is caused by bottoming them out, again, an install issue.

Trash? Doubt it. Seen a good few of them on Ebay (the longer ones that were replaced free under warranty and which RC didn't even require be sent back to them.)

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Leaking issues: warranty claims are handled instantly and without whining, unlike many companies. This is far more an installation issue; I'd rather have longer shocks and relocate my mounts to use the length, but yes did ship a lot of 'too long' ones at first. Leaking is caused by bottoming them out, again, an install issue.

Trash? Doubt it. Seen a good few of them on Ebay (the longer ones that were replaced free under warranty and which RC didn't even require be sent back to them.)
Installation problem - nope. Leaking shocks can be caused by improper installation, bottoming out or using the shock as a droop limiter. However, this is not always the case and it was not the case on my rig.

Replaced - nope.

Trashed - yep. I had one rear and one front start leaking. Was ignored by RC. There's not a lot of market for single shocks. For some strange reason people like to buy shocks in pairs.

Why is it that when someone asks for opinions about a product some people get upset when opinions are expressed that don't match what those people have experienced and/or believe? If I'm looking for opinions, I want the good, bad, and ugly so I can make my decision based on all available information.
Unread 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #33
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My jeep rides smooth with them,mines on a lj that might be the reason
mafbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
cupojava
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine ride fine, no problems whatsoever. A little sway that I had to get used to in the beginning, mainly around heavy turns. I'm very happy with this product.
cupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #35
elephantrider
2005 LJ Wrangler 

been running the 2.2 shocks for close to 10k miles.
my opinion is that the shocks are pretty dang good,
especially for the price. i have no complaints on
the ride. rc customer service is very good. had one
leak a while back and got a replacement in three
days.

this is on a lj with 4" lift and 33's.

Last edited by elephantrider; 06-09-2010 at 10:21 AM..
elephantrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #36
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

As of now 76% of the shock owners polled seem happy with the shocks.

hmmm.. 3 outta 4 ain't bad? or is it?

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #37
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
As of now 76% of the shock owners polled seem happy with the shocks.

hmmm.. 3 outta 4 ain't bad? or is it?
3 outta 4 would infer a 25% failure rate and that doesn't include the "they replaced my bad ones with good ones, so I'm happy" group. I can't imagine any manufacturer of what is essentially a commodity product begin happy with more than 1 bad part in 100,000 (probably 1 million, but that's splitting hairs that RC doesn't appear to be close to finding).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
3 outta 4 would infer a 25% failure rate and that doesn't include the "they replaced my bad ones with good ones, so I'm happy" group. I can't imagine any manufacturer of what is essentially a commodity product begin happy with more than 1 bad part in 100,000 (probably 1 million, but that's splitting hairs that RC doesn't appear to be close to finding).
More people voted that never even had them.I think that's as good as any company will get(3 out of 4).I've heard bad things about most companies shocks.It's only opinions.Some people think it will ride like a Caddy with expensive shocks.My neighbor runs OME shocks and I can't tell a difference.It still rides like a Jeep.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #39
R0cket
1930 TJ Wrangler 

UPS is coming today!!! bringing my RC long arm kit with 2.2 shocks!!!!

i'm stoked.

(and for those of you with questions, no i'm not broke, i went RC cause i've had good experiences with their stuff before, and have yet to hear someone WHO OWNS AN RC LIFT have a legitimate complaint other than ride opinion)
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #40
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
More people voted that never even had them.I think that's as good as any company will get(3 out of 4).I've heard bad things about most companies shocks.It's only opinions.Some people think it will ride like a Caddy with expensive shocks.My neighbor runs OME shocks and I can't tell a difference.It still rides like a Jeep.
If you're talking about the "I don't own 2.2's I'm just here to flame" group, I eliminated them from my equation.

75% customer satisfaction with a product would result in the discontinuation of that product for many companies, but RC is still pumping them out. So my guess is that the overall consensus is a little better than what's seen on this board. I've always heard and still believe: If a customer is happy, they tell one or two people. If a customer is unhappy, they tell everyone they know. There is likely plenty of happy customers that will never see this thread.

Something about RC just seems to bring the drama around here. It may have something to do with their high participation on this board.

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #41
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysEdition04 View Post
Something about RC just seems to bring the drama around here. It may have something to do with their high participation on this board.
Probably caused by people that are pissed they paid 2 or 3 times as much for similar products.
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #42
R0cket
1930 TJ Wrangler 

or the fact that their stuff used to be garbage.. i had a buddy who had an RC kit back in 2005, and it was *****. but last summer we put an RC lift on my buddy's Rubicon with 2.2 shocks and they were awesome!! when i was back in Florida we wheeled with a group of jeepers and almost all of them were running RC lifts and they swore by them, and talked extremely highly of RC...

i'm happy to go with RC because i'm not a "purpose built buggy", RC is not designed for that kind of stuff.. but for my use it's a perfect fit and great price.
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #43
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Running the 3.25 lift with 2.2 shocks for over a year now, I have been very happy with the ride. This is on a 04 Rubicon with 33inch Maxxis Bighorns
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #44
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I don't have a dog in this hunt and no, I'm not here to flame (even though that was my answer to the poll, so I could actually see the numbers).

I can say without a doubt that the only entities that would be satisfied with 75% satisfaction rate is the USPS or the IRS (I speak from years of experience doing Cust Sat research for major companies). For a company producing what is essentially a commodity product, with many competitors, 75% is horrible. That said, this isn't a scientific sample, but it is a sampling of people who are knowledgeable about the product and its competitors. If you ran a similar poll for OME, AEV, BDC or a number of other bolt on kits, the number would be 95% or higher. I don't have a dog in those hunts either, since I have v8 ZJ and JK springs and pro comp shocks.

RC seems to be a decent product for the money, but buyers should be aware that their is a much higher than average probability that they may have to replace shocks (whether with other RC or a shock that they purchase).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #45
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
Probably caused by people that are pissed they paid 2 or 3 times as much for similar products.
Or the fact that we are tired of hearing complaints of leaky shocks, sagging front springs (and the sagging right rear spring) and rough ride all the damn time because people went cheap. Gets old after a while, buy quality and shut up or buy crap and whine.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.2 , opinion , poll , rc , rough country , shocks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.