POLL: Ok to Drive w/ rear drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > POLL: Ok to Drive w/ rear drive shaft?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

View Poll Results: Ok to drive w/o rear Drive Shaft while waiting for new CV Shaft
Yes 25 86.21%
No (Then say why not) 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

POLL: Ok to Drive w/o rear drive shaft?

I'll be doing an SYE along with RE 4.5 (swapped for 3.5s) and a Terraflex skid. So I don't have a good idea on how long the new CV Driveshaft should be.

So, while I wait for Tom Woods to make said drive shaft, do you think it's ok to drive it with just the front drive shaft (with SYE installed, of course)?

I don't see any kind of problem with it (it is an open diff by the way). But maybe someone knows better (bad on the drive train or something).

Last edited by Libtekguy; 07-17-2008 at 11:16 AM..
Libtekguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's been done of course but I think I remember hearing that it's inadvisable to do so for an extended period of time. I forget why.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its fine.

Just don't be doing front wheel peel burnouts.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the reason it will work for you is the SYE. if you didn't have it, the TC would leak from the output
Unread 07-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
the reason it will work for you is the SYE. if you didn't have it, the TC would leak from the output
It shouldn't leak even w/o an SYE.

The 231 t-case used in TJs has an output shaft seal.

Its not like the 231 t-case used in YJs where it relied upon the driveshaft to make the seal.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
It shouldn't leak even w/o an SYE.

The 231 t-case used in TJs has an output shaft seal.

Its not like the 231 t-case used in YJs where it relied upon the driveshaft to make the seal.
The problem is, if you remove the rear drive shaft there is nothing to hold the slip yoke in place. The slip yoke has the sealing surface on the 231.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
rudyyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not on TJs the output shaft has the seal as stated above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
The problem is, if you remove the rear drive shaft there is nothing to hold the slip yoke in place. The slip yoke has the sealing surface on the 231.
rudyyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyyj View Post
not on TJs the output shaft has the seal as stated above
On my '98 the only seal was on the slip yoke.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just call TW and tell them what you're installing, and they can make a shaft for you ahead of time. It's done all the time.

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
Twizted
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When the yoke on my D35 broke. I ran on front wheels for about 3 weeks waiting for the SYE kit, took it easy and everything was fine. When the D35 broke, I ran it on front wheels for about 4 weeks waiting for an 8.8 swap. I drove it normal then even on the highway, no issues even with 3.07 gears and 32's. It will spin the tires easily in the rain and it didn't like tight turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
After all, I are educted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Rocks
Beer makes the world go round. (thats why it leans a little when it rotates)
Twizted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only reason why i would say no, is because that is a lot of stress to put on JUST your front axle. It's only a Dana 30... while it is a tough little axle, to put 100% of the jeeps power and weight on it would be a lot of stress. For temporary use you should be fine, and there should be no mechanical problems with the drive-train. But i wouldn't run it very much until you get the rear put back together.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
WILLY05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

in first and second be sure to stay off heavy throttle it'll break the tires loose w/o a problem even with 35's and 37's
it may be funny to see your jeep smoke off the front tires but it sucks when you stop moving (broken front driveshaft)
WILLY05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Libtekguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the input. I've read various posts before using the Search button about it and couldn't get solid answer on the matter. Obviously driving it in "front wheel drive" is less than ideal. Sounds like the consensus is go for it and just be careful with the skinny pedal.
Libtekguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will be fine. I was in the same boat as you. I installed my SYE then waited a couple weeks for my rear driveshaft to be delivered. I drove it around town and on the highway. No leaks, nothing broke. It does steer different in fwd but that was all I noticed different.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yeah you can do it, I'm doing it right now while I wait for my shaft. The case won't leak just dont take corners under power very hard if you can avoid it, it makes some uncomfortable movements if you do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.