Poll: ever break Dana 35 axle shafts with a TrueTrac? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Poll: ever break Dana 35 axle shafts with a TrueTrac?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

View Poll Results: Ever break a Dana 35 axle shaft with a TrueTrac?
I have a TrueTrac and never broke axle shafts … but I don’t run hard trails 12 28.57%
I run hard trails, but I never broke stock shafts with a TrueTrac 11 26.19%
I run hard trails, but I never broke upgraded alloy shafts with a TrueTrac 8 19.05%
I broke stock shafts with a TrueTrac (if so, please explain situation and tire size) 8 19.05%
I broke upgraded alloy shafts with a TrueTrac (if so, please explain situation and tire size) 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Poll: ever break Dana 35 axle shafts with a TrueTrac?

In posts here at JF last week and in some conversations recently, I've seen/heard people disagree about running a TrueTrac in a Dana 35. Most people say you'll never break stock Dana 35 axle shafts with a TrueTrac; after all, it's not a locker (the max bias ratio is about 80%). Others say no, they broke stock shafts easily. One person even claimed that he "heard" about breaking an upgraded alloy shaft with a TrueTrac.

So, it would be interesting to do a little poll. Please vote if you have a TrueTrac in a Dana 35, even if you don’t have problems. If you did break a shaft with a TrueTrac, let us know something about the situation, and particularly the type of shaft and the tire size. If you really abuse stock shafts with your TrueTrac setup but you still don't have any problems, tell us something about the abuse.

EDIT 2011-07-30: I now have a TrueTrac and upgraded shafts. Terrific so far. The TrueTrac lives up to its hype, traction-wise, and I really didn't think that it could. Simply an amazing device. I'll give it a few more months before voting in this poll, though.

EDIT 2014-06-23: I've been at it for a while now and no problems, so I finally decided to come back and vote: alloy shafts, still going strong. I'm still very happy with my TrueTrac in the back. Happy trails, everyone.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i would add a specific size tire to the prerequisites of the poll that way you dont have people running 37's saying that the dana 35 is a POS and should never be used with a TrueTrack
Unread 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's what the parenthetical is for. If I were to add specific tire sizes in the poll itself, it would be about 22 responses -- I don't think anyone wants to read a poll that long!

But RockMonster's point is a good one. As the poll itself asks, if you did break a shaft, please explain the situation and the tire size. Tire size can make a world of difference.

My impression is that most people using TrueTracs are running smaller tires anyway. But that's just a hunch.

Unread 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ran front and rear Truetracs with 33" tires years ago and never had any problems. I ran some low-to-moderately difficult trails back then but nothing I'd consider truly difficult.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
roadsuk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had Truetracs for about 5 or so years with 3ish of those years on stock shafts and didn't have any issues. Now I have the c-clip eliminator because I like to listen to people make fun of me for spending money on a D35 and I like the upgraded shafts too. In Iowa there isn't much for hardcore trails but old mines and timber trails so I would say I'm on the easy side. I wouldn't change a thing and I love the set up.
roadsuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be "that guy" that busted a few shafts with the Truetrac LSD installed. I clicked the last option above but I wouldn't consider that I broke them because of the Truetrac. . . more that I happened to break them while I had the Truetracs.

My Setup:
TJ, 4.0L, 3 spd automatic
32" tires
Dual Truetracs front/rear
1541h alloy 27 spline D35 shafts from Yukon Axle and Gear

Here's how the breaks happened. . .

Break-1: Twisted Splines
A couple years after running the Truetracs and "HD" 27 spline alloy shafts I twisted the splines on both axles when I tried to yank a friend out of a mud hole. He was stuck up to the top of his 37" tires. We hooked up the tow strap and I made over a dozen hard pulls to try to free him. It go to the point where I was digging four 8" deep holes in a hard packed road bed, I bent my rear bumper, and was getting all sorts of scary creaking noises from the chassis of the Jeep.

But no outright snap of the axle shafts. And I kept offroading the rest of the day.

It wasn't until a few months later while doing a rear disk brake swap that I discovered the splines on my rear axle shafts were twisted (difficult to remove from the diff). This was after an additional 2-3 months of driving and 2 more offroad runs. At this point, there wasn't much to be done so I re-insalled the broken axle shafts while I contacted Yukon for warranty replacement. No questions asked they warranteed them. Got the new axle shafts (exact same) and popped them back in.

Break-2: Bent Flange
Years went by with zero problems. I had learned not to abuse the Jeep like that trying to extract other rigs. Then this summer I was running fast on a trail trying to catch up with the rest of our group when I clipped a turn to short, and snagged my sidewall on a stump root. It felt like the Jeep was blasted sideways when the root tore into the sidewall and caught the rig. It hurt and I could have sworn it should have done some major damage to the suspension. But no, everything "looked" fine. After changing the tire I got rolling again. Two weeks later someone flagged me down saying my wheel was wobbling. Sure enough, it was (didn't feel any vibrations).

By this point I was out of warranty and had to replace the axle shaft on my own dime.

So, that's it, that's how I "broke" two sets of alloy axleshafts with my Truetracs. They were twists and bends but no outright snaps and all damaged axles were in one piece when I removed them for replacement. As I say, I don't think the TT's were a contributing factor in this case. It was all driver stupidity. With normal offroad driving I don't think I'd have had a problem. And for the record, the combo of the 27 spline axleshafts and Truetracs have never left me stranded on the trail.

Two weeks ago I ended up hauling another friend out of a mud puddle when his rig stalled. But I was MUCH more careful HOW I did it, being careful to use the momentum of my Jeep to yank him out rather than raw power from the engine. When we got him turned around I also towed him off the trail and all the way back to pavement. Zero issue. But as I said, I was much more careful this time.

After knowing what it took for me to break the upgraded axles w/ the Truetrac I'm still impressed with the setup. I wish Eaton made the Truetrac in a 30 spline size for the D35 but they don't. For people wanting to run the Truetracs the upgraded 27 spline alloy shafts are a good and reasonably cheap upgrade.

Still, after this summer's episode I'm swapping in a D44 out back. It's sitting on the garage floor right now.
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
.... As I say, I don't think the TT's were a contributing factor in this case .... With normal offroad driving I don't think I'd have had a problem. And for the record, the combo of the 27 spline axleshafts and Truetracs have never left me stranded on the trail .... After knowing what it took for me to break the upgraded axles w/ the Truetrac I'm still impressed with the setup. I wish Eaton made the Truetrac in a 30 spline size for the D35 but they don't. For people wanting to run the Truetracs the upgraded 27 spline alloy shafts are a good and reasonably cheap upgrade.
Phenomenal. What a terrific report! Thanks for taking the time to write all that (of which I just excerpted the conclusion, above). Now THAT is what I'd call the voice of experience.

Unread 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Snagga
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread I got a used dana 35 with moser shafts and tru trac front and rear 456 gears. Love to hear everyone's experience. Will hopefully be installing soon
Snagga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
FarmerinVA

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Snagga, I plan to install a TrueTrac and Crown 4340 axle shafts -- in fact, they've been sitting in my garage for almost a month, but I can't find the time. I will definitely give a report here when I get them in.

TrueTrac owners, please vote! It will be be interesting to see the results, even if (or particularly if) almost no one is reporting breakages. If you read this forum, you see a lot of reports about breakages, but my guess is that this is "reporting bias" (a small number of people with problems are more apt to report, while the great majority of people with no problems don't report). But that's just a hunch, and I'd like to test it with this admittedly unscientific poll.

Unread 05-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a d35 with a true track and 4.10 gears and 33x12.5r15 tires. Have never broken a shaft, and I suppose ther trails I run are moderate to difficult (not the Hammers, by any means!)

Now have this:

I was fortunate enough to be one of the test mules for the Superior c-clip eliminator kit and the Superior axle truss!
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I blew a Dana 35 open twice both times with 4 cylanders. Once with 31 inch A/T's and stock 4.11's, and once with 33 inch Tirdbirds and stock 4.11's. You dont need any help to blow a stock Dana 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I blew a Dana 35 open twice both times with 4 cylanders. Once with 31 inch A/T's and stock 4.11's, and once with 33 inch Tirdbirds and stock 4.11's. You dont need any help to blow a stock Dana 35.
Thrilled for you... Since the question was about the truetrac and not about the crap open carrier could you please clarify. Did you break an axle shaft?
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
K1dS3ns4t10n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Broke a stock D35 shaft on driver's side with a Trutrac. My setup at the time was 2001 TJ 4.0L 5spd on 33x12.5 with 4.10 gearing, RE 3.5 Superflex lift, and tcase drop. I wouldn't say I run hard trails, at that point it was mostly sand dunes at Silver Lake.

Luckily it broke on the street in front of my house just after I had backed out of my driveway. It was my DD with 100,000 miles (maybe 8,000 miles on the trutrac), and for a week or two prior, I had been noticing something in the driveline "binding up" on left turns while accelerating from a dead stop.

I replaced both shafts with Yukon alloy shafts and reused the trutrac, but my TJ was totalled out shortly after when I was hit by full size work van.
K1dS3ns4t10n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I've been running dual TrueTracs for over 4 years now on Pacific Northwest trails. I've never had an issue on my front D30 and my rear D35. The rear is upgraded with alloy 27 splined shafts. The Jeep is my daily driver and weekend toy.

For trail difficulty, I've hit small rocks without issue or harm to the differentials, shafts or TrueTracs.

Small rock trail (the dual TrueTracs got me through without winching or a strap ):

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Thrilled for you... Since the question was about the truetrac and not about the crap open carrier could you please clarify. Did you break an axle shaft?

1st a Snapped shaft open (31's)

2nd Snapped another shaft and caused R&P damage as well open. (33's)

Ive actually blew the Dana 35 4 times, twice with a locker. I was just letting you know how fragile it can be open, let alone with a true trac. No more Dana 35's for me. I will add I never upgraded axle shafts or used a CCE, mine was in stock form and I have no actual experience first hand with the Super 35 kits so no advice there from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.