Plug and Play? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Plug and Play?

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 11-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Waldo02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Plug and Play?

I'm looking at putting a new stereo in my Jeep. I saw Quadratec has a 'plug and play' wiring harness. I was wondering:

A) is it as easy as they make it sound?
B) is it worth 134 f'n bucks or can it be found cheaper elsewhere?

Waldo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why no it's not as easy as it sounds, there are fasteners and panels that will have to be removed for the R&R of the radio.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its a pretty easy task really, but there's no reason to pay that much. Check out crutchfield, those harnesses are usually 20 bucks or so.
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Dean7276
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I put in a Kenwood from Crutchfield for $139 and they give you the harness and faceplate adapter that fits perfectly in the Jeep. Easiest install I've ever done. Free shipping too.
Dean7276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
wrangler04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

1) things are usually never as easy as they sound
2) thats way over priced. check crutchfield or somewhere els. They're usually cheaper
wrangler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure exactly what you were looking at but no harness costs that much. It's probably a head unit with the harness, and depending on which unit it could be a fair price. The harness alone is never needed, unless you don't want to splice your factory wiring (under warranty, don't know how, etc.). Every unit should come with a harness that fits it and then you simply splice the corresponding wires to the ones in the factory unit. Buying the vehicle-specific harness only saves you about 20 minutes on the install (if that).

But to answer your question...and I'm still assuming you're talking about the head unit:
1) Unclip and remove the defroster vent at the bottom of the windshield
2) Remove center dash piece by removing two screws on top and one behind ashtray
3) Remove factory unit (there is an anti-theft bracket connected to the firewall in two spots)
4) Install any needed adapter to make the new unit fit (it's a different size)
5) The wiring harness (vehicle-specific) simply attaches to the female end that came out of the stock unit and plugs into the new unit.
6) Slide it in

There are some more steps, but that's basically what you're in for.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Crutchfield X-mas specials coming later this week.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio , stereo , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.