Please take a look at this steering geometry - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please take a look at this steering geometry

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Please take a look at this steering geometry

A good buddy of mine is having some issues with the tie rod end contacting the steering stabilizer bolt while turning. He recently installed a high pinion D30 and the problem just arose.

He has a drop pitman arm with an older 4" BDS lift with a 0.75 spacer up front. Has adjustable track bar and all control arms are adjustable.

Here is the picture of the steering geometry. On first glance the track bar and drag link angles look way out. Is it proper to draw a line bolt to bolt to measure the track bar angle, or should it be measured as is, off the longest, most angled section.

I told him to adjust his pinion angle to take care of the interference, but I wasn't sure if the steering was right, looks as if the angles are off to me.

mrblaine or Mr. Bransford...any ideas? (I'm sure you have a few )

33x10.5 KM2, 8.8 LSD w/discs and RHM bracket kit, HP D30 w/homemade diff armour, 4.10 gears, 2.5" junk yard lift, Rusty's 1" BL/MML, AA SYE/CV Shaft, XRC Sliders, V8 ZJ steering, CB, GPS, some other crap.
Buy it then build it, or buy it built and end up tearing it apart and building it anyway. Which one do you think is easier?
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Meep97
2009 JK Wrangler 

lose the drop pitman arm
Meep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
cstevens
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I might consider replacing the 4" dropped pitman arm with an OEM one. The drag link is too low on the upper end. It is my understanding that the drag link and track bar should be the same angle.
Not sure why the tie rod is is hitting though.....
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

remove stabilizer bolt...
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
remove stabilizer bolt...
Care to expand on that?
33x10.5 KM2, 8.8 LSD w/discs and RHM bracket kit, HP D30 w/homemade diff armour, 4.10 gears, 2.5" junk yard lift, Rusty's 1" BL/MML, AA SYE/CV Shaft, XRC Sliders, V8 ZJ steering, CB, GPS, some other crap.
Buy it then build it, or buy it built and end up tearing it apart and building it anyway. Which one do you think is easier?
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So no one has noticed the stock tie rod that is bent in at least 3 places?

I consider this to be very dangerous. If that tie rod buckles on you on the road there's no telling which way you'll go.

I'd go back to a stock pitman arm and replace your steering setup with a currie. Once this is done, then worry about what is hitting.
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Utz View Post

I consider this to be very dangerous. If that tie rod buckles on you on the road there's no telling which way you'll go.

I'd go back to a stock pitman arm and replace your steering setup with a currie. Once this is done, then worry about what is hitting.

That is the tie rod from a V8 ZJ.

I'm biting my tongue, but please only reply if you know what you are talking about.
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

many of us on oversized tires no longer use steering stabilizers.
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #9
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would remove the drop pitman arm and see if that corrects the problem, the geometery is not right as it is, I am surprised he doesn't have bump steer as well. The adjustable track bar means nothing, if he wants to run a drop pitman arm you need to get a drop bracket for the track bar as well.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bent drag link...
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #11
Nasmith1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

after my lift was installed I also Had this problem. I was able to correct with a bolt with a smaller head and an angle grinder. hope that helps.
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

You all are killin' me over here.

Pitman- he shouldn't be running a drop without the bracket for the tie rod, but that said, if he does remove it, it's going to make the interference worse.

It's one of 3 things or a combination thereof-

Axle is pushed too far forward.
Draglink is unbent from smacking it into something or trying to turn left offroad with the tires pinned.
Caster is off and the axle is tipped forward which swings the trackbar mount under the axle further and then moves the draglink in tighter.

I would fix the draglink, correct the caster/pinion angle, and if it still hits, add some bend to a new set of Currie steering.
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasmith1 View Post
after my lift was installed I also Had this problem. I was able to correct with a bolt with a smaller head and an angle grinder. hope that helps.
You didn't correct the problem, you only worked around the real problem.
Unread 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
VT_Rubicon

I've seen this issue on many lifted jeeps, and most people don't know they have a problem. This issue is more noticeable, if you flex the jeep up and turn the tires. I had this problem when flexed with my 3" lift, and the more I lifted my jeep; the worse it got. I also had the problem with and without a drop pitman arm.

Now that I have a 6" adjustable long arm setup, I've adjusted my caster to be ~7-8 degrees. I found this to be the best handling. As soon as I put my jeep on a lift, it was apparent that I was going to hit the stabalizer bolt head. I ground the head of the bolt down, and bought a rock crawler steering setup. The rock crawler setup (which is not my first choice), eleminates the stock Y-link. When flexed, I was still hitting part of my sway bar link mounts on the axle side, so I cut them off and made a different setup. I also shortened my wheelbase slightly with my adjustable lower arms.

In my opinion, the best solution (also the most expensive), is a high steer kit. We just installed one on a friends jeep, and all issues were solved. Different sway-bar link mounts that mount to the knuckles, drop pitman arm, new axle bracket for the track bar and sway bar, drop track bar bracket on the frame, sway bar disco's, and a high steer knuckle. His jeep handles like stock (also has a stiffer rear sway-bar) with a 6" lift. His track bar and drag link are parrallel, and flat - so he gets no bump steer.

I'm sure there's more options available, I just haven't had any experience with them. I've always wondered if the Currie steering setup had more of a bend to it to compensate for this issue??? A JK drag link has a bend in it that would accomadate this, but I doubt it's the right length. Curious to hear other comments on the issue.
VT_Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Utz View Post

Right on the money!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.