Please Help! AX15 reinstall have 3/4" to go. What do I do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please Help! AX15 reinstall have 3/4" to go. What do I do?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Please Help! AX15 reinstall have 3/4" to go. What do I do?

Hey there. I got my ax15 rebuilt and now I am reinstalling it. I am at the point where I have about an inch to go and the tranny won't go in any further. I have spent hours on this and I can't figure it out. I have tried different angles, I have one bolt per side for alignment. They both don't have any pressure on them but should they? I used the alignment tool for the new clutch and everything appears to be lining up correcty. Any tips for getting past this frustrating point in my reinstallation? Thank You very much fellow Jeeper!

05WK98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Wyo_Wide_Glide
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have the tranny in gear so you can turn the output shaft to make sure the clutch/tranny splins are lined up and sliding together?
Wyo_Wide_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you only have 3/4" to go you are definitely into the splines of the clutch disc. You might want to pull the trans. and double check your alignment. I had a bad plastic alignment tool and had the same problem it would not let the input shaft slip into the pilot bearing. If alignment still looks o.k. make sure the pilot bearing fits over the input shaft. Maybe the wrong pilot bearing? I have also had wire looms and dowel pins get in the way as well. Just don't get to forceful it isn't to difficult to damage the clutch disc.
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If clutch disc is aligned and the pilot is correct/installed right, just need to wiggle and kick. Just did this on a buddy's YJ. It should go.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey everyone thanks for the advice! We removed the trans got it realigned with more grease and a little bit of shoving and it went right in. We had the jeep running for the first time in 48 days and it was perfect except for two things. When taking off in 1st gear there is a rattle sound that goes off like 4 times in a second then it's quiet. Also the clutch feels way too soft. It still engages and disengages fine but it is only like 15% of the pressure it used to be. Any suggestions?
05WK98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
pcoplin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

For the rattle, check the shift linkage on the tunnel side for looseness.
Ultra4 KOH #689 car
pcoplin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax15 , install , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.