Please comment on my 4link numbers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Please comment on my 4link numbers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

At that wheelbase, I wouldn't even consider 14" travel in the rear. Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop and you won't be able to use all of that travel.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
You did NOT just say that.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
You did NOT just say that.
At least someone caught what I was pitching.

Yep, just said that, too.
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
conquest255
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Getting a little personal here!
Coilover are a done deal and already bought--now the challenge is getting the most out of them--no difference in price between 12 and 14, so figured I'd do what I can to gain the most travel possible. From what I've read I can either go with an Atlas or stick with my 231 but add a super short SYE to gain another 3 inch of driveline.
conquest255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're gonna need all the driveline length you can get to not bind at full droop with those shocks. Honestly, you may want to revisit your plans and decide if pushing the rear axle back 5-6" is in the cards. That'd take care of your driveline issues (especially if you go SS tail housing) and would set you up for the future bigger tires that I'm sure are on your long list.

It'll take longer and cost more money but it sure checks a lot of stuff off that list if your future plans involve a longer wheelbase and/or larger tires.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
conquest255
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As much as I'd like to stretch it, I need to keep the rear seat for the kiddo.(maybe once he's out of the house i'll reconsider) All parts should arrive in the next two weeks and will post numbers up once I get things mocked up.
Thanks for the comments.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Limit strap the center of the diff, then you will still have full travel at each wheel as long as both aren't fully extended.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
conquest255
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well--all the parts arrived to Oregon--now the challenge becomes how to get them on the plane with me to Hawaii this weekend.
80 lbs of DOM tubing
60 lbs of Coilovers
100 lbs of JJ joints/brackets/and misc.
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
conquest255
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on tearing into the jeep this afternoon, with the end game being 3 link front, 4 link rear and coilovers on all corners.

Planning on starting on the rear first with the removal of all the stuff I know has to be removed, including exhaust, OBA tank mounted behind transfer case, shocks, coils, as well as all the old mounts.

Mock up all the brackets and test fit control arms(saw someone used PVC which I plan on doing before I go whacking away on the DOM), cycle the axle for conflicts and check my numbers against the 4link Calculator. After the 4link, cut in and tack up the Coilover brackets and test again for conflicts. If all is good, weld up everything.

Repeat same steps for the front.

A few questions for those who've done similar:
I'm planning on mounting the rear truss vertical to the world--Pinion angle is at 19 deg----seem ok?

Also, if anyone has any photos of what they did in the front with Lower control and Coilover mounts at the axle, I'd love to see them. I'm thinking i'll need to fab a integrated single mount. The kit I bought contemplates mounting the lower coilover bracket to the top of the existing CA mounts on the Axle. Since i'll be welding new CA mounts at mid axle, i'm afraid i'll be limiting travel some by raising the brackets higher. I might start by moving the CA arm brackets toward the Diff some to make room for lower CO brackets.

Sorry so long. Likely end up design-build as I go to some degree.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
conquest255
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the rear end stripped down and starting to mock up bracket locations.....appears my numbers are going to wind up around the following 4 link cal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.