Getting a little personal here!
Coilover are a done deal and already bought--now the challenge is getting the most out of them--no difference in price between 12 and 14, so figured I'd do what I can to gain the most travel possible. From what I've read I can either go with an Atlas or stick with my 231 but add a super short SYE to gain another 3 inch of driveline.
You're gonna need all the driveline length you can get to not bind at full droop with those shocks. Honestly, you may want to revisit your plans and decide if pushing the rear axle back 5-6" is in the cards. That'd take care of your driveline issues (especially if you go SS tail housing) and would set you up for the future bigger tires that I'm sure are on your long list.
It'll take longer and cost more money but it sure checks a lot of stuff off that list if your future plans involve a longer wheelbase and/or larger tires.
As much as I'd like to stretch it, I need to keep the rear seat for the kiddo.(maybe once he's out of the house i'll reconsider) All parts should arrive in the next two weeks and will post numbers up once I get things mocked up.
Thanks for the comments.
Limit strap the center of the diff, then you will still have full travel at each wheel as long as both aren't fully extended.
Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.
The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
Well--all the parts arrived to Oregon--now the challenge becomes how to get them on the plane with me to Hawaii this weekend.
80 lbs of DOM tubing
60 lbs of Coilovers
100 lbs of JJ joints/brackets/and misc.
I'm planning on tearing into the jeep this afternoon, with the end game being 3 link front, 4 link rear and coilovers on all corners.
Planning on starting on the rear first with the removal of all the stuff I know has to be removed, including exhaust, OBA tank mounted behind transfer case, shocks, coils, as well as all the old mounts.
Mock up all the brackets and test fit control arms(saw someone used PVC which I plan on doing before I go whacking away on the DOM), cycle the axle for conflicts and check my numbers against the 4link Calculator. After the 4link, cut in and tack up the Coilover brackets and test again for conflicts. If all is good, weld up everything.
Repeat same steps for the front.
A few questions for those who've done similar:
I'm planning on mounting the rear truss vertical to the world--Pinion angle is at 19 deg----seem ok?
Also, if anyone has any photos of what they did in the front with Lower control and Coilover mounts at the axle, I'd love to see them. I'm thinking i'll need to fab a integrated single mount. The kit I bought contemplates mounting the lower coilover bracket to the top of the existing CA mounts on the Axle. Since i'll be welding new CA mounts at mid axle, i'm afraid i'll be limiting travel some by raising the brackets higher. I might start by moving the CA arm brackets toward the Diff some to make room for lower CO brackets.
Sorry so long. Likely end up design-build as I go to some degree.
I've got the rear end stripped down and starting to mock up bracket locations.....appears my numbers are going to wind up around the following 4 link cal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Well....It's been some time, so I'll do the best I can to remember the details. Many of the photo's I took during the build got lost with my phone, so I could only round up a few. The numbers above in the 4 link calculator is what I used, so pretty much half way between long and short arms. The rear truss was custom built from 2x2 3/8" box..I did not tie into the rear diff, but seems to be fine after some pretty good pounding. I bought all JJ joints and inserts and welded into DOM 1/4" for all control arms front and rear. I went with 14in fox CO rear and 12in in the front. I did end up with slight DL bind at full droop, however corrected with a center limit strap. I bought all frame mounts, and fab'd all axel mounts(Bought some from Clayton and some from Poly Perf). The CO mounts were all bought from Poly Perf.
There were issues along the way, such as new backend exhaust to slip around the 4link as well as down sizing my OBA tank, and modifying my underbelly skid plates. The front was relatively easy, but I do get a little pull to one side with the 3link on really hard braking...but not bad. I went to Currie Antirock front sway bar, and Genright for the rear. As far as coil rates, it took some trial and error, but Poly Perf got me pretty close and I only had to buy two extra coils for the rear because it sat too high for me. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.