Plastidipping frame for the winter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Plastidipping frame for the winter

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Plastidipping frame for the winter

My frame doesn't really need any extra protection but I thought about this the other day and wondered if anyone had done it.

I've used plastidip before and it goes on easily and stays on until you want to take it off. But has anyone ever used it on their frame to protect it from salt and other stuff during the winter?
I would think it could work pretty well if you coated certain areas that get a lot of spray from the tires and road. Then in the spring just take it off

Unread 11-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's not so much the outside of the frame to be concerned about up here, it's the inside of the frame that is usually the problem with the early-mid model TJ's

My '01 frame looked fine on the outside, but completely rotted from the inside out near the rear wheel
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

It would be a waste of your money in your neck of the woods...sorry.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand the infatuation some have with plastidip.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Maybe it has something to do with this? :http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...5&pagenumber=1
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead
Maybe it has something to do with this? :http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...5&pagenumber=1 ...
:O

Lmfao
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
bobjp

Why would you want to take it off? For what reason would anyone ever want to take an undercoating off? There is no reason to have removable undercoating.

If your frame has no rust, now is the time to hit it with some quality paint or undercoating like Chassis Saver or POR-15. On a rust free frame, that's a Saturday afternoon job at most.

I can't imagine lying under my Jeep peeling off Plasti-dip in the spring.
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

With the time it would take to prep and spray, I would just put that effort into prep and a rust encapsulator like Por 15 or chassis saver. Then run down with some wd-40 to prevent salt and mud from sticking.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Worry about the inside of the frame, I had coated the outside of mine a couple years ago and it looks like this now.

Its a new england jeep and the outside of the frame was in reletavely decent shape, most of the paint was still there.
My advice is put a couple good drain holes in the frame and spray the inside with something that will combat rust
bosoxfan455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Why would you want to take it off? For what reason would anyone ever want to take an undercoating off? There is no reason to have removable undercoating.

If your frame has no rust, now is the time to hit it with some quality paint or undercoating like Chassis Saver or POR-15. On a rust free frame, that's a Saturday afternoon job at most.

I can't imagine lying under my Jeep peeling off Plasti-dip in the spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
It's not so much the outside of the frame to be concerned about up here, it's the inside of the frame that is usually the problem with the early-mid model TJ's

My '01 frame looked fine on the outside, but completely rotted from the inside out near the rear wheel
The inside of my frame is coated with eastwood's internal frame coating spray. The outside of the frame is coated with chassis saver black. So I'm set.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this or how it would work out. My thinking was it would add extra protection on top of all the other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Maybe it has something to do with this? :http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...5&pagenumber=1
That's umm.. interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Should see some of the people in my school. One guy I know has a 06 camry he got from his parents and there probably isn't one piece of that car inside or out that hasn't been covered by plastidip.
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used plasti-dip to save a pair of boots a couple weeks back. Stuff is great for repairs like that. I was thinking of using it on a small tear in my soft top, just to keep it from tearing further as it doesn't yet leak.

As for spraying your frame with it, I don't think it is that durable. Based on my boots performance, the material abrades over time weakening it. Just guessing, but I don't think it would hold up under the constant bombardment of sand, rocks, salt, and whatnot that gets kicked up in the road every mile you drive.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not to mention Plastidip would just hold/trap moisture in and just make the frame even more likely to rust.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Was thinking about a few areas of the frame not the whole thing. to guard against spray in those areas. But with the undercoating already there its not worth risking trapping the moisture in. Was just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan455 View Post

Couldn't see the picture before but now that I do it looks painful

Tags
frame , plasti-dip , under coating , winter driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.