Pitman Arm Tie Rod - How to replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pitman Arm Tie Rod - How to replacement

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pitman Arm Tie Rod - How to replacement

So tonight (weather permitting) going to try and replace the tie rod that's connected to the pitman arm. It looks in horrific shape as you can see from the pics. The grease doesn't even stay in there.

Question is how does one remove this? First unscrew the tie rod end from drag link? Then use a puller to seperate the pitman arm and the tie rod end? Or vice versa? Because I don't think a puller will fit over on the top side of the pitman arm to separate the two?

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's a fairly easy process. Sometimes the ball joint can be a PIA to get out of the pitman arm. Are you replacing the entire drag link or just the ball joint on the end that goes into the pitman arm? If that's all you're replacing it should be really easy. Pull the cotter pin, remove the nut and then smack the drag link up near the pitman arm downward until the ball joint seperates from the pitman arm. Or if you have room smack the ball joint on top where it goes through the pitman arm until it falls out.

If you're replacing the entire drag link, there's just a few more bolts to remove, one from the steering stabilizer, one where it connects to the R/F knuckle and one where it connects to the track bar.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samger2 View Post
It's a fairly easy process. Sometimes the ball joint can be a PIA to get out of the pitman arm. Are you replacing the entire drag link or just the ball joint on the end that goes into the pitman arm? If that's all you're replacing it should be really easy. Pull the cotter pin, remove the nut and then smack the drag link up near the pitman arm downward until the ball joint seperates from the pitman arm. Or if you have room smack the ball joint on top where it goes through the pitman arm until it falls out.

If you're replacing the entire drag link, there's just a few more bolts to remove, one from the steering stabilizer, one where it connects to the R/F knuckle and one where it connects to the track bar.
Replacing the tie rod end itself. Not the entire drag link but just like the thing that screws into the drag link.

So smack it out from the pitman arm and then unscrew it from the drag link? I guess I was using the wrong terms and when I was saying tie rod in my previous post i meant drag link.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

See this page for a good description of the parts and names.

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-48.htm

But yeah, if all you're doing is that ball joint, it'll be easy. But the base of the bolt that goes up through the pitman arm is slightly tapered so it wedges in, so it can be difficult to get out...most likely won't just fall out when you take the nut off. As I said, you'll have to smack it, or the drag link itself for it to pop out.
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
See this page for a good description of the parts and names.

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-48.htm

But yeah, if all you're doing is that ball joint, it'll be easy. But the base of the bolt that goes up through the pitman arm is slightly tapered so it wedges in, so it can be difficult to get out...most likely won't just fall out when you take the nut off. As I said, you'll have to smack it, or the drag link itself for it to pop out.
Yah I saw that picture before on 4x4xplor. I went to dig it up right before you posted that.

Thanks for the info, going to give it a shot tonight.
My Progress Page
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Use a PA puller.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You may want to get an alignment afterward...but don't take that for Gospel...read the writeup on that 4x4xplor page on doing an alignment if you want to do it yourself.
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Use a PA puller.
Yeah, a pitman arm puller on top of it will work well to push the ball joint out if you have one. I actually don't have one, so I used the hammer smack method
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Use a PA puller.
Quote:
Yeah, a pitman arm puller on top of it will work well to push the ball joint out if you have one. I actually don't have one, so I used the hammer smack method
A puller will fit in there upside down? I didn't think there was enough room up in there to put one.

Do have one and I guess i'll give that a try also.
My Progress Page
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
A puller will fit in there upside down? I didn't think there was enough room up in there to put on
That was my concern too...I guess it's worth a try.
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
oscartj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My pitman arm puller was too big to get in and get a good hold. Just smack the side of the pitman arm where the tie rod end tapered shaft goes thru.
FYI: it's a tie rod end, not a ball joint.
oscartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscartj View Post
My pitman arm puller was too big to get in and get a good hold. Just smack the side of the pitman arm where the tie rod end tapered shaft goes thru.
Tap the side of the pitman arm? Why are the other two saying to tap the ball joint thread at the top or the actual tie rod end?
My Progress Page
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
oscartj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Tap the side of the pitman arm? Why are the other two saying to tap the ball joint thread at the top or the actual tie rod end?
Try the other two ways, when that doesn't work, try what I said. It will fall right out.
Unread 05-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's a tie rod...you're correct. I tend to call it a ball joint because there's a ball joint in the end of it.

You can hit either spot. If you're disassembling your suspension and re-using it all then I wouldn't suggest smacking the top of the ball joint bolt/thread...but since you're replacing it, there's no concern of boogering up the threads. To me it seemed to help by getting downward force on the end of the tie rod/ball joint itself. But whatever works for you. Again, it doesn't matter if some damage ocurrs to the tie rod that's coming out since it's being replaced anyway.
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
oscartj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Please tell us where the drag link is connected to the track bar.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.