Pinion seal for u bolt yoke conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinion seal for u bolt yoke conversion

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 06-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
JoshuaZ

Pinion seal for u bolt yoke conversion

Does anybody know where I could source the pinion seal for a unbolt yoke conversion, the seal is different than the factory size and I would prefer not to spend $70 on a full kit just to get the seal. There was no numbers on the seal itself and when I called Quadratec they don't just sell the seal.

Thanks

JoshuaZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Recently changed my HP30 pinion seal and I have u-bolt yoke and the pinion seal was the same. Not sure I understand why it would be different. The pinion and housing sizes which are what are being sealed don't change. It is just the yoke to driveshaft connection that is different.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
JoshuaZ

The ubolt yoke has a smaller diameter than the stock yoke so the original seal won't work. That's why I can't find them anywhere.
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
JoshuaZ

The outside diameter of the seal is stock size the inner rubber seal is the issue, it needs to be smaller.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand how the diameter of the yoke has anything to do with it. The seal fits between the housing and the pinion. The yoke just bolts to the pinion. Don't see how the pinion cares what kind of yoke is attached to it. Unless pinion is a different size (which would be odd) seems to me the seal is the same. I know it is on my HP30.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having done one u-bolt style yoke conversion on my previous TJ, I won't bother doing another.

First, the straps of the OE yoke are more than strong enough... they just don't break. Besides, it's not the straps that provide the strength, it's the yoke itself the u-joint sits in The straps just hold the u-joint down into the yoke that is the strength behind the design. Not to mention it's way too easy to overtighten the u-bolts & damage the bearing caps & needle bearings inside. Personally, I'm sticking with strap yokes even with my 1330 and 1350 size u-joints.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
JoshuaZ

The inner part of the seal sits on the back of the yoke not the pinion. Ill post pics later it will be easier to explain
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I don't understand how the diameter of the yoke has anything to do with it. The seal fits between the housing and the pinion. The yoke just bolts to the pinion. Don't see how the pinion cares what kind of yoke is attached to it. Unless pinion is a different size (which would be odd) seems to me the seal is the same. I know it is on my HP30.
Assuming we are talking about a D30, D35, or D44, the pinion seal is pressed into the housing (more of hammered in) and the rubber part rides on a machined surface on the yoke. It doesnt touch the pinion at all. This is why you will sometimes see a worn out yoke when replacing a pinion seal.

OP: I can't really give you any specific answers but knowing what axle are you dealing with may help others help you. Can you measure the OD of the yoke where the seal rides?
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

what axle are we talking about first off??

I know on my d44 I can slip over the pinion a d35 yoke from a tj or yj...both are d35 but they are different. but not all of those yokes will seal with my pinion seal. try a slightly different application.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Assuming we are talking about a D30, D35, or D44, the pinion seal is pressed into the housing (more of hammered in) and the rubber part rides on a machined surface on the yoke. It doesnt touch the pinion at all. This is why you will sometimes see a worn out yoke when replacing a pinion seal.

OP: I can't really give you any specific answers but knowing what axle are you dealing with may help others help you. Can you measure the OD of the yoke where the seal rides?
OK, I get that now. Just looked at a spare D44 seal I had lying around (although I don't have a D44 axle anymore). The OD of the yoke though must be really small if he is saying its not going to seal.
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take it over to Motion Industries, not only can they match it up but they will have many options as far as material and design such as triple lip or ceramic slinger....Jon
jeepmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
what axle are we talking about first off??

I know on my d44 I can slip over the pinion a d35 yoke from a tj or yj...both are d35 but they are different. but not all of those yokes will seal with my pinion seal. try a slightly different application.
Interesting possibility. I just measured the inner hole in a D44 seal at approx. 40mm and the OD of an HP30 ubolt yoke at approx. 55m. Still seems like a decent amount of overlap if things got mixed up, but maybe not. I would have expected that comparison to be biggest seal to smallest yoke, but perhaps other combos are different.
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
ftgiles

Dana 30s and Dana 44s use the same yokes and the same seals. Just ask for a seal for an early model Jeep before they used strap yokes. '74 CJ-5 for example. That's what I tell the parts guy when I want the seal for my u-bolt yokes.
ftgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
JoshuaZ

I just bought a new yoke kit, I don't have the time to look for the right seal. $80 is worth it to be able to drive the jeep while its nice out.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

80$ for a seal...damn kid
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.