Pinion Seal Replacement dana 30 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinion Seal Replacement dana 30

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
1. The d35 has a crush sleeve, the d30 does not.

I'm also about to do my d35, the critical issue is the crush sleeve. By over tightening it, the crush sleeve will compress further, and change the relationship of the pinion gear to the ring gear.
The LPd30 has a crush sleeve, the HPd30 doesn't.

If you over tighten the pinion nut and have a crush sleeve, the pinion bearing tolerance changes and may fail...

Unread 05-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #17
jbarrett
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I guess I should take it to a shop. Thanks guys.
jbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
By over tightening it, the crush sleeve will compress further, and change the relationship of the pinion gear to the ring gear.
While over tightening would crush the sleeve, it won't change the relationship of the pinion gear to the ring gear. The pinion is shimmed for pinion depth under the bearing or race. What crushing the sleeve will do is greatly increase you pinion bearing pre-load and lead to pinion bearing failure as Knuckelhead mentioned.

I'm not trying to make it sound less crucial because it is extremely important to maintain proper bearing pre-load. However, the crush sleeve is not used to set pinion depth and does not effect the gear setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
Hey Guys - this is a good guide and I would like to try and follow it to replace my own pinion seal leak. I had a few questions.

1. This is for a Dana30 - I have a Dana35. I'm assuming it's the same.

2. How do you truly get the pinion nut back on? The service manual says before removing the nut, you need to measure the torque required to turn the yoke several times. Can you really (and accurately) mark the location of the nut prior to removal? What's the tolerance or room for error?

3. Does the new seal need to be "seated" with a special tool? I had heard that you need a "seal set" to correctly align the pinion seal because it needs to be perfectly centered.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarrett View Post
So I guess I should take it to a shop. Thanks guys.
1. Same procedure for the D35 as the low pinion D30 that comes stock in non-rubicon TJs and LJs. They both use crush sleeves so maintaining bearing pre-load is important.

2. the truly accurate way to do it would be to remove the carrier, measure pinion bearing preload using an inch pound torque wrench and take note. Then reassemble with a new crush sleeve and new pinion nut and gradually crush the sleeve until achieving the desired bearing pre-load.

This is not the only way to do it. As was done with this write-up, marking the pinion nut and pinion threads and then tightening back to that same mark or just a 1/16" past works fine. You MUST use red loctite on the old pinion nut though. They are considered a one time use nut so they will want to back off if re-used without loctite.
Another method is to tighten the pinion nut to somewhere between 165-180 ft-lbs using a new pinion nut. The idea here is that it maintains a tolerable bearing pre-load since it takes over 200 ft-lbs to crush the sleeve.

I have personally tried both of these methods, one when changing the seal on my D30 and the other when changing it on my D35. I have not had any problems since.

3. Carefully tap the seal in straight and evenly. do not try and seat one side first and then the other. I used a small hammer and gently tapped around the edge of the seal until it was fully seated.

If your have some mechanic skills you can preform this job. I think the biggest problem most will run into is removing the pinion nut which usually requires a very large breaker bar and a lot of grunting as someone else stands on the brakes to keep the jeep from moving. A strong impact gun can do the job as well. Since the pinion nuts are designed to lock on the threads they can be a PITA to remove.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since it was asked, a race and seal driver set is the tool you would use to push in seals. But as others have said there are other ways. A set is like 40 bucks or so, it would only be worth it to buy a set if you set up gears and to to press in bearing races.

Of course you don't even need the kit for races, but if your doing gees you minus well sped the 40 bucks.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
NAlbertaTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How about the seal replacement on the D44 in the rear?
NAlbertaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAlbertaTJ View Post
How about the seal replacement on the D44 in the rear?
Same procedure to replace the seal. However, the D44 is shimmed for correct pinion bearing pre-load so there is no crush sleeve. Just torque to spec with a new pinion nut.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #22
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Since it was asked, a race and seal driver set is the tool you would use to push in seals.
Can you send me a link to one that has big holes in the seal pucks to clear the pinion?
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
NAlbertaTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500

Same procedure to replace the seal. However, the D44 is shimmed for correct pinion bearing pre-load so there is no crush sleeve. Just torque to spec with a new pinion nut.
Do you happened to know the torque spec for the pinion nut? Or should I just check with a torque wrench first before removing the old one.
NAlbertaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #24
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update; For what it's worth, I recently swapped out my d35 pinion seal, too, using the same procedure. I did not, in either instance, swap out the pinion nut, I used locktite. That was a budget decision, nothing more. Then I drove it 800 miles back to the Seattle area towing a trailer without incident.

Thanks KnuckelHead & MO2500...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
ariddhag
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Napa seal

Was your Napa seal part number 15525 for the Hp30? I have a 97' TJ with (i think ) the original Lp 30? is it the same seal?
ariddhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariddhag View Post
Was your Napa seal part number 15525 for the Hp30? I have a 97' TJ with (i think ) the original Lp 30? is it the same seal?
Yes...

Unread 02-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #27
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up man!
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Great write up man!
Thank you...
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
Nasty25
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I see this in my new future, great write up!
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A little thread revival for clarification of part numbers.

NAPA has the part number listed above for '02-'06 TJ's.

For '97-'01, they have part number 15791 which is a SKF Chicago Rawhide seal. The 02-06 price is $7 and the other is $43....go figure...
Hosejockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d30 , dana 30 , pinion , pinion seal

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.