pinion seal ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > pinion seal ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

pinion seal ?

so im about to get elbow deep in a pinion seal replacement this weekend, my major question is i hear the pinion nut needs to be replaced, any specific nut?

also anything i should watch out for while doin this?

Unread 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Which axle?
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

both
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive done 2 pinion seals so far on my Dana 30 and I have re-used the nut both times with out issues. One thing I didn't have is a pinion seal puller. I got one from Auto Zone for $5. It made the 2nd time changing the seal a breeze. Please try to get it.

I would say if the nut is badly damaged replace it, but it shouldn't be.
There are several write ups, but I used this one.
JeepingSingles.net: Tech Section - Pinion Seal Replacement - TJ/YJ
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced D35 pinion seal two years ago, did not replace the nut. Replaced the nut while rotating pinion by hand to make sure bearings were properly seated (wheels off the ground). E-brake was enough to hold the axle in place for final torque of the nut to 150 ft-lbs. 30,000 miles later, no problems.

I don't have a pinion seal puller either, I just carefully pried the seal out with a very thin screwdriver, first knocking the seal rim out with a flat punch. Just be careful not to score the pinion housing lip.

When installing the seal, I also put a small bead of RTV along the rim of the seal where it meets the lip of the pinion housing.
incredibull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
hdsport
2008 WK 

Replaced my rear pinion seal and used an air gun to torque the nut to ~120 lbs. My jeep mechanic was checking for a vibration and removed the rear driveshaft and then tried to turn the rear yolk by hand. It was very tight and you could feel a pressure "grinding" in the rear. You should be able to EASILY turn the yolk/rear gears by hand.....~7ft-lbs. A little more with the tires on. He backed off the nut to relieve the pressure and still have NO play in the rear bearings. Now rotated EASILY and NO grinding....smooth turning. I WAS VERY BLESSED that I didn't blow the rear!!!!!!!

Proper way to do this:
Count the # of threads you can see BEFORE removing the nut. Using a paint pencil, mark the nut and thread, so you can return the nut to the same EXACT position.Remove nut, replace seal, install nut and tighten to the SAME position is was before removal.
Rear should turn easily by hand with no binding or grinding.
Let us know how you make out.
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
deadowl87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this on the front of mine, I counted threads, but the PB blaster made the white out marking I made on the bolt and nut way to runny, but it seems fine to me. I reused the bolt, the only advice I have for you is if you can't get your hands on a proper pinion seal puller, remember, the reason the seal itself is so hard to get off, is because it's been pneumatically pressed into place, plus the little rubber ring has melted the seal to the hole. attack the seal by trying to break the little rubber ring from the outer edge.
deadowl87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

word yeah, well i have a bunch of seals on their way to my house, ill deffinitly pick up a puller when i go get the fluid for it to. ill let you know how it all goes once im done
Unread 11-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Don't understand the issue with counting threads and putting back in the same position were taken off. When you torque the pinion nut back down the Ft-Lbs is what dictates how far/deep it will thread back on.

I changed the pinion seal on my D30 about 1K miles ago and just replaced the pinion nut with a new one and torqued it down to 150lb. When I installed my Aussie locker the other day I checked the pattern with some gear paint and it was still good.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Don't understand the issue with counting threads and putting back in the same position were taken off. When you torque the pinion nut back down the Ft-Lbs is what dictates how far/deep it will thread back on.

I changed the pinion seal on my D30 about 1K miles ago and just replaced the pinion nut with a new one and torqued it down to 150lb. When I installed my Aussie locker the other day I checked the pattern with some gear paint and it was still good.

FOG
My guess is that if you don't have a torque wrench, you can torque it back properly without guessing how much you actually torqued it.
Unread 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did my d30 pinion seal a few months back. Here's my write-up; http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pi...-30-a-1031177/
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did my d30 pinion seal a few months back. Here's my write-up; http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pi...-30-a-1031177/
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my dana35's pinion seal myself. It is a very straight forward process.

Later on down the road, my dana30's pinion seal started leaking. For some reason I was unable to get the pinion nut off of my dana30, so I had to pay a mechanic to do the work.

Guess which one is leaking now... ARRRGGHHH... I hate paying someone else to do the work.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
spitfiremkii
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You should actually obtain an inch pound torque wrench, it has to be the cheapy beam style NOT the click type. Before you remove the pinion flange nut use the torque wrench on the nut to spin the pinion/axle assy. and record the torque reading. Do this three times to get an average reading of torque required to rotate it. Then when you re assemble after seal replacement SlOWLY tighten the pinion nut in small incriments, frequently rechecking with the inch pound torque wrench until you obtain the recorded rotating torque value, then add an additional 5 INCH POUNDS. There is a "crush sleeve" between the two pinion bearings that maintains preload on the bearing (a slight amount) and if you put the nut back to where it was when you took it off, the proper amount of preload will NOT be obtained, hence the additional 5 INCH POUNDS.
Hope this isnt too confusing...?
spitfiremkii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a writeup for the D35 pinion seal writeup? I'm noticing a leak in mine too... Or is it similar enough to the D30 that I should follow that?
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.