Pinion nut was loose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinion nut was loose

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pinion nut was loose

A couple of days ago I quit slacking and replaced the pinion seal on my D35 that has leaked since I bought the Jeep this summer. Now, after I got everything apart and was prepared to fight tooth and nail to get the pinion nut loose, it came off with almost no effort at all. I'm fairly sure I could have loosened it with my smallest ratchet.

I'm worried that the pinion has been rocking around, so I pull the outer bearing, and both the bearing and race look fine. Although I marked the depth and position of the pinion nut before removing it, at this point it looks like whatever it was at, it was way too loose.

I've seen around the web that I can get away with tightening the nut back to 180 ft-lbs. So I install the new seal, put everything back together, reinstall the nut with loctite (been told to get a new nut, but the threads are all fine), and tighten to 180 ft-lbs. This put the nut at a position slightly tighter than what it was at, so it had probably backed off a whole lot from the "new" install torque of 210 ft-lbs. The pinion rotates freely and everything feels good and tight.

So a few hundred miles later, everything seems good. No leaks, no noise, and a mysterious light vibration is now gone. Should I be worried? It looked like someone else in the past replaced this seal, and just threw the nut back on until it felt "tight enough."

Cheers

incredibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

the reason people say to get a new nut is, it has a crimped end on it that hold tighter to the threads so it wont back off. that is why htey squeak when you loosen them, its metal on metal rubbing. locktite might work, but it isnt the same. and if the nut warms up loctite aint gonna keep it tight
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I'll have to check back on the nut after a bit more driving to see if it's backed off from where I marked it after I torqued it down.
Unread 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully your pinion pre-load isn't too high...
Without using a new crush collar, an inch-pound touque wrench and correct setup sequence you may have inadvertantly set your pre-load too high. If so you may kill your pinion bearings....
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I'm worried about.

However, is there any reason at all that the pinion nut should have been that loose? I'm thinking there's no way that the preload was properly set if it was that easy to get off, and that I'm probably closer now to where it should be.
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

the nut would be tight even if the bearings were shot, a new nut is tight the whole time your loosening it. so yeah i would someone has had it off a few times to be able to turn it by hand
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.