Pinion leak all of a sudden - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinion leak all of a sudden

TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" lTERAFLEX 1.5" Leveling kit for JK!!NEW NEW NEW XRC M.O.D. Bumper by Smittybilt

Unread 01-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Pinion leak all of a sudden

So both my front and rear pinion seals started leaking within a day of each other. They have both been bone dry for as long as I have owned it and now all of a sudden they are both leaking. The weather has been fluctuating like crazy, it has gotten below freezing but today was 50 degrees. Could the change in weather be wreaking havoc on the seals? It's just odd that they both just started leaking. I guess I'll take it in to get them replaced but was hoping to get some insight into why they started so quickly.

DieselDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Do you play in mud or water? If so you may have gotten water in the diff and then if you didn't change it, it froze and caused problems.
RnEmOvr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

No mud or water, I learned my lesson with my last TJ that mud is only fun till you have to clean it off. I haven't been snow wheeling either so there shouldn't have been any way for water to get into the diffs. I checked my vent tubes as well and they both seem to be clean and working properly. I guess they could have both gone bad at the same time but it seems like an odd coincidence.
Unread 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Holy crap I got a quote to get them replaced and they want $440 to do both front and rear seals and change the fluid. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate but that's sounds a bit high.
Unread 01-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDog1
Holy crap I got a quote to get them replaced and they want $440 to do both front and rear seals and change the fluid. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate but that's sounds a bit high.
Haha. That is insane to pay that much money for such an easy job.

Do it yourself.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It's 25-30 degrees outside right now and I hate the cold otherwise I would do it myself. I am going to call around and see what the average cost around here is for that job. It seemed a bit rediculous.
Unread 01-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDog1 View Post
If you're talking about having them replace all of the seals in both front and rear axles, that's not that far out of the normal cost. If you're just asking about the front and rear pinion seal, yes that is a high price...
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #8
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If they are doing it by the book, the price seems more reasonable. Since the rear axle is a D44 and doesn't use a crush sleeve, there is no worry of setting pinion bearing preload incorrectly. The front D30 however is a different story. If doing it the "right" way, the crush sleeve would need to be replaced which involves extensive disassembly of the front axle.

With that said, many (including myself) have replaced D30 pinion seals in the past without replacing the crush sleeve and haven't had issues.

I would ask how they plan on replacing the front pinion seal before I wrote off the shop entirely.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just the pinion seals, they are going to index the pinion nut (is what he said) and not replace the crush sleeve or anything inside the diff. It sounds like that is way high for what it is. I am gonna call around and see if I can get a more reasonably priced quote. I hate not having heat in the garage when I need it because this would be getting fixed Saturday instead of chasing down quotes. Thanks everybody
Unread 01-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Called the local jeep dealership that I use for misc. parts to see what they would charge. $75 in labor for each pinion seal and another $75-100 for parts. So say $250 out the door in worst case I think that is worth me not having to turn a wrench in below freezing temps. I don't ever use a dealership for maintenance but they are going to get my business this weekend. I am going to call the other shop and see if the "mis-quoted"
Unread 01-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Called the local jeep dealership that I use for misc. parts to see what they would charge. $75 in labor for each pinion seal and another $75-100 for parts. So say $250 out the door in worst case I think that is worth me not having to turn a wrench in below freezing temps. I don't ever use a dealership for maintenance but they are going to get my business this weekend. I am going to call the other shop and see if the "mis-quoted"
That's a fair price.
Why not just run it until spring?
I.U.O.E. - 18
ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #12
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I drive the jeep every day on the interstate 60 miles round trip and I don't want the leak to get worse or fail and be stuck somewhere. I figured I do enough wrenching on this thing in decent weather I'll let somebody else do it when it's cold.
Unread 01-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I drive the jeep every day on the interstate 60 miles round trip and I don't want the leak to get worse or fail and be stuck somewhere. I figured I do enough wrenching on this thing in decent weather I'll let somebody else do it when it's cold.
Depends how bad the leak is. If really dripping then pay to have done now. If housing just wet drive as long as you need to, checking fluid level if too much time goes by.
Unread 01-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
DieselDog1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well it's enough to run down the diff housing and drip about a dime size puddle from the front diff. The rear is just wet on the bottom of the housing, I haven't seen anything on the ground from the rear diff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.