Pinion Angle after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinion Angle after lift

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
01TJ-Bob
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pinion Angle after lift

First off I know this subject has been covered many times but as yet I ahven't got a strait answer so here goes. I have a 2001 tj 4.0 5 speed and just installed a 3.5" Rancho short arm lift with 33" tires. Instead of drilling out the front track bar bracket I bought a RE adjustable arm. I did use the spacers for the transfer case drop and bought rear adjustable CA's. I'm getting a vibe in 2nd and 3rd gear at around 3-5k rpms. I DO PLAN ON THE SYE BUT CAN"T RIGHT AWAY. My transfer case angle is 8 degress my DS is 15 degrees and rear pinion is at 14 right now. What would the best angles be for the mean time until I get the SYE. My vibes are with Accel so I was thinking of dropping the pinion another degree if I go any lower the DS angle gets worse. Any suggestions please.

01TJ-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
VT_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a CV driveshaft? If no CV driveshaft, and no SYE, you need to make your pinion angle parallel to the Transfer case output (the slip yoke). Make sure your differential u-joint doesn't bind. If it does, you need an SYE and CV driveshaft.

Once you get the CV driveshaft and SYE, adjust your pinion angle to match (or be ~1 degree less than) your driveshaft angle.
VT_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
01TJ-Bob
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I adjusted my pinion the same as my transfer case at 8 degrees which made my DS angle at almost 20 degrees and the vibes increased big time so that's no good. As far as the CV shaft as I said it will have to wait until funds are available, I'm just trying to get vibes down to minimal for now.
01TJ-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

With my 3.25" lift I didnt use the trans drop and I never changed pinion angle, I did use a 1.25" BL and a 1" MML, I never had any driveline vibes though

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Drop the skid some more with washers and longer bolts or get a mild motor lift. The angles between the transfer case and pinion to the driveshaft needs to be 3 deg or less.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.