Pinion Angle after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinion Angle after lift

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
01TJ-Bob
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pinion Angle after lift

First off I know this subject has been covered many times but as yet I ahven't got a strait answer so here goes. I have a 2001 tj 4.0 5 speed and just installed a 3.5" Rancho short arm lift with 33" tires. Instead of drilling out the front track bar bracket I bought a RE adjustable arm. I did use the spacers for the transfer case drop and bought rear adjustable CA's. I'm getting a vibe in 2nd and 3rd gear at around 3-5k rpms. I DO PLAN ON THE SYE BUT CAN"T RIGHT AWAY. My transfer case angle is 8 degress my DS is 15 degrees and rear pinion is at 14 right now. What would the best angles be for the mean time until I get the SYE. My vibes are with Accel so I was thinking of dropping the pinion another degree if I go any lower the DS angle gets worse. Any suggestions please.

01TJ-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
VT_Rubi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a CV driveshaft? If no CV driveshaft, and no SYE, you need to make your pinion angle parallel to the Transfer case output (the slip yoke). Make sure your differential u-joint doesn't bind. If it does, you need an SYE and CV driveshaft.

Once you get the CV driveshaft and SYE, adjust your pinion angle to match (or be ~1 degree less than) your driveshaft angle.
VT_Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
01TJ-Bob
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I adjusted my pinion the same as my transfer case at 8 degrees which made my DS angle at almost 20 degrees and the vibes increased big time so that's no good. As far as the CV shaft as I said it will have to wait until funds are available, I'm just trying to get vibes down to minimal for now.
01TJ-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

With my 3.25" lift I didnt use the trans drop and I never changed pinion angle, I did use a 1.25" BL and a 1" MML, I never had any driveline vibes though

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Drop the skid some more with washers and longer bolts or get a mild motor lift. The angles between the transfer case and pinion to the driveshaft needs to be 3 deg or less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.