Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 10-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #91
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You bought the bearings and stuff, you know what they cost. If you screw them up, how much did you save?

I press them on for folks all the time for no charge. It's literally a 10 minute job with a good shop press.
You're right! You seem to know what you're talking about mrblaine...

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #92
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
You're right! You seem to know what you're talking about mrblaine...
If you read Stu's page, I'm the Socal Buddy.
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #93
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you read Stu's page, I'm the Socal Buddy.
I kind of figured that. Since you're location is CA and I saw that your name is mentioned a few times in there. As well on the last page where he got his parts from. Looks like you machined those retainer plates..very nice dude!

Do a good job on my Savvy front bumper when I ring ya!! I really dont have to tell you do a good job..
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #94
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update!

Got a little bit done today. I cleaned up the brake calipers and parking braking components. As well as I put 5 disc brake studs on the shaft. I placed old lug nuts on there to sort of protect the threads and to stand the shaft up on.

By any chance, does anyone know a really inexpensive place to Zinc coat these metal ebrake component bracketry (the 4 pieces of metal below)?? I can mail them. I just need a cheap place. Any input mrblaine?? I was impressed to say the least on the difference from when they were rusted to now. The rust was thick and I burned through numerous dremel sanding discs. Thats ok. They came out great! I just need to know a way to protect these pieces going forward so they dont rust like that again. Thanks!

Unread 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #95
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
By any chance, does anyone know a really inexpensive place to Zinc coat these metal ebrake component bracketry (the 4 pieces of metal below)?? I can mail them. I just need a cheap place. Any input mrblaine??
Go to the dealer and buy new ones. The zinc will cost 50 dollars minimum lot charge unless you can wait until someone sends a batch in, then it's a few cents each. 50 divided by the number of pieces.
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #96
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Go to the dealer and buy new ones. The zinc will cost 50 dollars minimum lot charge unless you can wait until someone sends a batch in, then it's a few cents each. 50 divided by the number of pieces.
Oh man!! That is expensive. Oh well. Ill just coat these with paint and buy new ones when these get too bad. Thanks for the quick reply..
Unread 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #97
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

So the last few days I been calling around trying to find the best deal to press the bearing and retaining rings on the shafts. The most expensive was 180, least cost was 50 bucks from All American 4x4 on Sante Fe Drive in Littleton. So I just accepted the fact that I was getting robbed on a 5 min job. I sucked it up and dropped the shafts off this morning. So, after work I went to pick them up. I get to the 4x4 shop and the owner was there and told me to come in the back with him to pick em up. I followed him back there. While we were back there we were discussing all the machines and equipment he had. I was impressed! Then he took me to where the shafts were and said you're good to go! I was like how much?? He said nothing. Its FREE!! I was totally shocked, impressed and excited! I couldn't believe it. SCORE!!

I also ordered up some POR-15, Ebrake cables and a nice torque wrench (the clicky ones) for the axle swap. These will be delivered next week. So hopefully in a couple weeks I can swap it in!

Unread 10-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #98
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I called autozone today. They said they cannot turn my junkyard rotors. So, they referred me to Carquest. Took them over to Carquest and they want 13 bucks a piece to turn them. Plus, he couldnt tell me if that would help. Because they are rusted so bad. So instead of going that route. He sold me 2 brand new rotors for 27 bucks a piece, total 54 bucks. I found my receipt for the junkyard and they will return the used rotors for up to 31 days. I will get my 21 bucks back for those.

With that said...new rotors 54 buks. Junkyard rotors 21 bucks, to have them turned 26 bucks. Junkyard rotors total 47 bucks. Brand new rotors 7 bucks more...equals pretty sweet deal!

Brand new rotors...
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #99
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE!

I POR-15'd the diff cover tonight. I bought a can of Krylon, Banner Red. So, I will be painting the diff cover red and the diff cover bolts, black. I also sprayed down the axle with Marine Clean and then the Metal Ready stuff. The below pic is after I did the Metal Ready. I just completed that. So, tomorrow morning I will be POR-15'n the entire axle. I have to wait cuz it needs to completely dry. I was able to complete the diff cover cuz it dried quickly. I just added the 2nd coat to the diff cover, so that is done (not pictured), yet...

Unread 10-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #100
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got the axle painted with POR-15 and the diff cover painted Red!!

These pieces look sooo much better in person! Love it...

Unread 10-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #101
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good. This is turning into a very helpful thread. The pictures are very valuable. Keep it up.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #102
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
Looking good. This is turning into a very helpful thread. The pictures are very valuable. Keep it up.
Thanks..I appreciate it. I really enjoy doing this. Its a lot of fun and best of all, I'm learning a lot!
Unread 10-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #103
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just got back from Autozone tonight. Rather than keeping the old junk yard calipers. I opted to use them as a core return and go to Autozone and pick up some new/reman units. For some reason Autozone only charged me $19.99 per caliper, reman units. Online it says they are $33.99. Oh well...score!

New calipers for new rotors and soon to be new pads and new parking brake pads!

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #104
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to put this pic up. If anyone is interested. I got the Super Starter Kit from POR-15, $19.95. That little 4oz can doesnt seem like enough. But, amazingly it covered my entire axle and diff cover and I still have a 1/4 of the can left, chillin' in the fridge!

Im gonna use the left over POR-15 to cover the Ebrake component bracketry and probably the dust shields and the caliper brackets. Also, in the pic are my new Ebrake cables and the new torque wrench.

That torque wrench is HUGE, 25''. I nicknamed him "Dirk" for Dirk Diggler.

Unread 10-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #105
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just got back from Autozone tonight. Rather than keeping the old junk yard calipers. I opted to use them as a core return and go to Autozone and pick up some new/reman units. For some reason Autozone only charged me $19.99 per caliper, reman units. Online it says they are $33.99. Oh well...score!

New calipers for new rotors and soon to be new pads and new parking brake pads!

See that little silver zinc plated screw looking thing with the hole in the end of it? That's the bleeder. It goes up. Please put it up. If you don't put it up, you'll waste untold amounts of brake fluid and when you start the rig after running 12 gallons of fluid through the system, the pedal will hit the floor.

When you get ready to bleed the brakes, ask. I will tell you how to do it right the first time.

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.