Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #76
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosplace View Post
Looking at that last pic, it appears the one shaft is a Yukon. Look at the end, the shape of their logo is still there.

Very nice catch! I was trying to figure out who made that thing. Does it mean it is a chromoly??

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #77
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

looks good. congrats
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #78
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
Very nice catch! I was trying to figure out who made that thing. Does it mean it is a chromoly??
It could be, but most likely just a oem replacement shaft.
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #79
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool! Thanks either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
looks good. congrats
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #80
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, very likely a 1541-H shaft especially given the fact that they only replaced or appeared to replace one side.
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #81
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE!!

So I got a great visit today from the Fedex guy. Also, yesterday the UPS guy delivered my Brake hoses and lines from Savvy (pic below). Fedex brought me all kinds of goodies today. Pretty much everything I need to finish up the axle shafts (pics below). I got new seals, bearings, retainer plates, retaining rings, a new pinion nut and 10 disc brake studs. Speaking of disc brakes, I just got back from a junkyard and got my conversion off a 97 ZJ. Read my other thread here on pulling them from the yard.

I also got my 8 flange bolts grounded down on the sides to fit and the upset locking nuts.

Almost there fellas!! Im excited

Unread 10-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #82
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey does anyone have a link on how and what order these pieces get installed on the shafts?? For example...What direction does the 4 bolt retainer go?? Which way does the seal get installed?? Which side goes up on the bearings?? I dont want to install these pieces then have to turn around and reinstall them correctly. Thanks
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #83
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey does anyone have a link on how and what order these pieces get installed on the shafts?? For example...What direction does the 4 bolt retainer go?? Which way does the seal get installed?? Which side goes up on the bearings?? I dont want to install these pieces then have to turn around and reinstall them correctly. Thanks
Stu's site has a pic for you.

With the shaft spline end up. Drop the parts on in this order and orientation-

4 bolt retainer with the formed lip facing up

Oil seal with the open end facing up, seal end down

Bearing with race up. There is a line around the bearing where the race separates from the bearing. That line is closer to one end, the end with the line closest to the side goes down which puts the race up.

Shaft collar. If you can find a difference in the sides, put the pretty side up. Otherwise, it goes on either direction.

Press the bearing on first with the other pieces in place, then press on the shaft collar. Before you slide the oil seal on, fill the small space between the two seal lips with some axle bearing grease so you aren't starting it dry.

BTW- you need to practice your grinding.
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #84
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Stu's site has a pic for you.

With the shaft spline end up. Drop the parts on in this order and orientation-

4 bolt retainer with the formed lip facing up

Oil seal with the open end facing up, seal end down

Bearing with race up. There is a line around the bearing where the race separates from the bearing. That line is closer to one end, the end with the line closest to the side goes down which puts the race up.

Shaft collar. If you can find a difference in the sides, put the pretty side up. Otherwise, it goes on either direction.

Press the bearing on first with the other pieces in place, then press on the shaft collar. Before you slide the oil seal on, fill the small space between the two seal lips with some axle bearing grease so you aren't starting it dry.

BTW- you need to practice your grinding.
Cool! Thanks yet again mrblaine. Hey I did that grinding with my angle grinder laying on the ground and me holding the bolt up to the grinder. Whatever works huh! I tested every one of them and they all fit. I live in an apartment and dont have a garage. So no vice here. Just me holding the bolt. Let me tell ya those suckers got hot!!
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #85
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool! Thanks yet again mrblaine. Hey I did that grinding with my angle grinder laying on the ground and me holding the bolt up to the grinder. Whatever works huh! I tested every one of them and they all fit. I live in an apartment and dont have a garage. So no vice here. Just me holding the bolt. Let me tell ya those suckers got hot!!
Make a redneck vise. Get two pair of vise grips. Clamp the bolt with one and then use the other pair to clamp the first set to something like a Jeep bumper.

And since you're new to grinders, fair warning, the sparks will starts fires and ruin windshields in a heartbeat.
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #86
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Make a redneck vise. Get two pair of vise grips. Clamp the bolt with one and then use the other pair to clamp the first set to something like a Jeep bumper.

And since you're new to grinders, fair warning, the sparks will starts fires and ruin windshields in a heartbeat.
Nice! Good to know. That means I can drink my Budweiser while grinding as well!
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #87
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So according to stu's pic and the pic I posted here of the bearing. The way I have the bearing sitting there on the box. Is the way it goes on the shaft??

Stu's pic

Unread 10-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #88
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So according to stu's pic and the pic I posted here of the bearing. The way I have the bearing sitting there on the box. Is the way it goes on the shaft??

Stu's pic

I love helping folks, (contrary to popular belief) but I draw the line where help stops and silliness takes over. You're being silly, quit it. You know damn well that's how it goes.
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #89
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I love helping folks, (contrary to popular belief) but I draw the line where help stops and silliness takes over. You're being silly, quit it. You know damn well that's how it goes.
Ok..ok..ok! I am really not that good at this stuff. I basically had to feel warm and fuzzy. You did good holding my hand. I appreciate it! Thank You! That is enough from me for now.

Hey I heard of people pressing these on with a pipe and a BFH?? What are your thoughts on that? Its obviously much better to have a shop press them on. I'd imagine it wouldnt cost that much. But, I do like the idea of saving money for sure.
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #90
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok..ok..ok! I am really not that good at this stuff. I basically had to feel warm and fuzzy. You did good holding my hand. I appreciate it! Thank You! That is enough from me for now.

Hey I heard of people pressing these on with a pipe and a BFH?? What are your thoughts on that? Its obviously much better to have a shop press them on. I'd imagine it wouldnt cost that much. But, I do like the idea of saving money for sure.
You bought the bearings and stuff, you know what they cost. If you screw them up, how much did you save?

I press them on for folks all the time for no charge. It's literally a 10 minute job with a good shop press.

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.