Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #46
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here you are sir:

Disc Brake Conversion - 1

timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #47
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytimm3 View Post
Here you are sir:

Disc Brake Conversion - 1

Thanks! I've seen this before. I guess I didn't read it clearly enough before. Cuz I called around some places and they said Grand Cherokee will not fit Dana 44's. Well, according to this guy he took Grand Cherokee Dana 35 assemblies. But, he doesn't say what all the parts I will need. I guess I could always go try to find a Grand Cherokee and try to match things up. I don't know. This sucks when I'm not really mechanical at all.
tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #48
lax22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you can get them from dana 35's on ZJ's or i have heard that 8.8 disk assembly's can be made to work.
Unread 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #49
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax22 View Post
you can get them from dana 35's on ZJ's or i have heard that 8.8 disk assembly's can be made to work.
Nice! I could always ask chase from ECGS. I bet he'll know. Thanks for the heads up.
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #50
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax22 View Post
OK! I FOUND A 1996 ZJ THAT IS A DANA 44..NOT A DANA 35..SHE SAID IT HAS DISC BRAKES. I WONDER IF THAT WILL WORK?? SHE SAID SHE WILL SELL ME THE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION FOR 200 BUCKS. CAN ANYONE BE ABSOULTELY POSITIVE THAT A 1996 ZJ DANA 44 DISC BRAKES WILL WORK ON A 2004 LJ DANA 44??
Unread 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #51
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

not sure, check autozone or some sort online for brake pad/rotor/calip. part numbers to see if they are the same?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #52
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

From Stu's write up:
" I needed the rear disc brake assembly from a '95 to '98 Grand Cherokee's Dana 35 axle"

I grabbed mine from a 95 (not installed yet).
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #53
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmytimm3 View Post
From Stu's write up:
" I needed the rear disc brake assembly from a '95 to '98 Grand Cherokee's Dana 35 axle"

I grabbed mine from a 95 (not installed yet).
Nice score! what all did you grab?? I need brake lines, ebrake cables, calipers, caliper brackets, discs, backing plates and anything else I missed. Is all that bolt on do you know or what modifications are needed??
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #54
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump!!
Unread 08-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #55
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

got some new toys today. This will definitely make my job easier cleaning up this axle. I didn't buy this just for the axle though. Also picked up an impact wrench. I got a air powered sander and a 21 gallon air compressor..pretty sweet!!
I forgot the best part..I got this from Harbor Freight on sale for 129.99. I also searched the internet for their 20% off coupon...20% off!

Last edited by tcoche; 08-28-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #56
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
OK! I FOUND A 1996 ZJ THAT IS A DANA 44..NOT A DANA 35..SHE SAID IT HAS DISC BRAKES. I WONDER IF THAT WILL WORK?? SHE SAID SHE WILL SELL ME THE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION FOR 200 BUCKS. CAN ANYONE BE ABSOULTELY POSITIVE THAT A 1996 ZJ DANA 44 DISC BRAKES WILL WORK ON A 2004 LJ DANA 44??
Alright, a few things. I don't believe that is a 2004 axle from an Unlimited and even if it's not, it's not a big deal. The clues that point me to that conclusion are the fact that it doesn't already have rear discs and the bearing cap isn't slotted for the Rubi locker air line.

I realize someone could have swapped on the brake drum backing plates, but you also have axles that have the appropriate 4 bolt retainers for drum brakes. That means they either tossed in some shafts and backing plates from another 44, or it's not from an Unlimited.

I don't believe that they made any rear 44's after 03 without the slotted bearing cap.

That said, no the brakes from a 96 ZJ will not directly swap. However, if you read Stu's write-up from when we did his, you will discover that they can easily be adapted to work.

What I haven't seen anyone tell you yet is you will need to pull the bearings, seals, and shaft collars from the axles you have in order to use the 4 bolt retainers for disc brakes. That means you really should replace all the bearings and seals while you are at it. Those are a Set 10 and make sure you get the 3 pieces. Some places sell the Sets without the shaft collars.

Brakes that will swap or can be made to swap are as follows-

All ZJ's
Libertys
All TJ's and regardless of the body code, Rubi's and Unlimiteds are still TJ's.

8.8 rear discs will NOT work unless you want to have a lot of machine work done and weld up the holes in the backing plate.

To swap the discs on you will need the following parts-

Disc brake 4 bolt retainers
Shaft collars if you decide not to change out the bearings and seals.
Bearings and seals Set 10
Short flex hoses
Parking brake cables for disc
Flex hose tabs for the ends to bolt or weld to the housing
Cut and flaring tools to shorten and adapt your brakes lines to the flex hoses
New longer bolts for the backing plates with Grade C top lock nuts. Drum brake bolts are too short.
Backing plates with dust shields
Calipers with new crush washers and banjo bolts
Brake pads
Rotors

You can re-use your brake line that attaches to the axle via the vent bolt.

That should about do it.
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #57
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Alright, a few things. I don't believe that is a 2004 axle from an Unlimited and even if it's not, it's not a big deal. The clues that point me to that conclusion are the fact that it doesn't already have rear discs and the bearing cap isn't slotted for the Rubi locker air line.

I realize someone could have swapped on the brake drum backing plates, but you also have axles that have the appropriate 4 bolt retainers for drum brakes. That means they either tossed in some shafts and backing plates from another 44, or it's not from an Unlimited.

I don't believe that they made any rear 44's after 03 without the slotted bearing cap.

That said, no the brakes from a 96 ZJ will not directly swap. However, if you read Stu's write-up from when we did his, you will discover that they can easily be adapted to work.

What I haven't seen anyone tell you yet is you will need to pull the bearings, seals, and shaft collars from the axles you have in order to use the 4 bolt retainers for disc brakes. That means you really should replace all the bearings and seals while you are at it. Those are a Set 10 and make sure you get the 3 pieces. Some places sell the Sets without the shaft collars.

Brakes that will swap or can be made to swap are as follows-

All ZJ's
Libertys
All TJ's and regardless of the body code, Rubi's and Unlimiteds are still TJ's.

8.8 rear discs will NOT work unless you want to have a lot of machine work done and weld up the holes in the backing plate.

To swap the discs on you will need the following parts-

Disc brake 4 bolt retainers
Shaft collars if you decide not to change out the bearings and seals.
Bearings and seals Set 10
Short flex hoses
Parking brake cables for disc
Flex hose tabs for the ends to bolt or weld to the housing
Cut and flaring tools to shorten and adapt your brakes lines to the flex hoses
New longer bolts for the backing plates with Grade C top lock nuts. Drum brake bolts are too short.
Backing plates with dust shields
Calipers with new crush washers and banjo bolts
Brake pads
Rotors

You can re-use your brake line that attaches to the axle via the vent bolt.

That should about do it.
Wow! Thanks a lot Mr. Blaine. That's what I been looking for. You are right. The guy I purchased this from told me he did swap out the disc brakes that were on it. He also said there are chromoly shafts in there. If I have questions later ill be sure to ask ya! I'm out runnin around posting from my blackberry. Again, thanks a lot!
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #58
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

any chance Mr.Blaine do you remember or have the part numbers for the above referenced parts I will need?? Im looking to do this swap very soon and trying to search for these parts and not being very mechanical, is troublesome! Thank u sir
Unread 09-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #59
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here is an update of work completed today. I'm going to use the dremel in those hard to reach corner areas. So when I'm done going over the major areas. I will hit those tight areas with the dremel. Its getting closer....

before:

after:

Unread 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #60
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I also have a question. I noticed something that happened today. Can anyone tell me if this is going to be an issue. I noticed a couple holes that appeared after going of this area with the wire brush. It must have ripped off a chunk and left a little hole. Is this a problem?? It is also on another area in the same the area. So I have 2 holes. Should I plug it up with some JB weld or not worry about it and let the numerous paint, primer and clear coats cover it up??

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.