Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #31
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, if it does have a limited slip (trac-lok) from the factory then it will have a clutch pack. (which some peoples wear out after 60,000 miles) Mine is still hanging in there at 95,000 miles but that because I drive like an old person on road. I have been searching for the clutch pack (not the whole trac-lok assembly) for when mine finally gives up, but its tough to find. Most people will say "o just get a Detroit True Trac, its a ton better than your trac-lok and it is gear driven so you don't have to worry about the clutch packs" but I don't have $500 screaming to get out of my wallet.

If the d44 is out of an earlier TJ then it will have trac-lok because it was standard w/ the d44 option, but later models the trac-lok became an option, and was not standard w/ the d44's. So if you find you do have a limited slip make sure you swing by the dealer and get the additive (friction modifier) for it, its about $5.

Hope this helps.

1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #32
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
I'm thinking 60 oz of 80w90 and 4 oz of friction modifier?

Since it been in the water. I would first dump some fluid in and drive it for a short time then change the fluid again and add the fricition modifier.
Thanks! Savvy. Now that you spelled that out for me in English..that makes sense now. I'll take your advice on changing the fluids. appreciate that!
tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #33
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete99 View Post
nah i just used the wire wheel and and angle gringer, then a rust converter a a heavy brush on primer and a rattle can for paint ..im under my jeep at least two or three times a year grinding and painting sucks living in the rust belt

ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJN644 View Post
I always thought that a limited slip diff had clutch plates in it, the picture looks like a regular open carrier to me ?
Good observation. I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I'm looking at. I did however sort of test it. I spun the pinion and both axles spin in the same direction. That tells me there is trac loc. But, I don't know. This stuff is greeek to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack5 View Post
Yeah, if it does have a limited slip (trac-lok) from the factory then it will have a clutch pack. (which some peoples wear out after 60,000 miles) Mine is still hanging in there at 95,000 miles but that because I drive like an old person on road. I have been searching for the clutch pack (not the whole trac-lok assembly) for when mine finally gives up, but its tough to find. Most people will say "o just get a Detroit True Trac, its a ton better than your trac-lok and it is gear driven so you don't have to worry about the clutch packs" but I don't have $500 screaming to get out of my wallet.

If the d44 is out of an earlier TJ then it will have trac-lok because it was standard w/ the d44 option, but later models the trac-lok became an option, and was not standard w/ the d44's. So if you find you do have a limited slip make sure you swing by the dealer and get the additive (friction modifier) for it, its about $5.

Hope this helps.
This axle is out of a 2004 LJ. After some more researching about the identification tags. It looks like I probably have limited slip. Because the right tag has the FM. Which I would say stands for "Friction Modifier" No?? Is this correct?? Couldn't you get the clutch pack from the stealership??
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #34
BJN644
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The recomendation to use friction modifier would indicate limited slip because the FM is to keep the clutches from chattering. But as I posted I don't see a clutch pack in that differential. so it's possible someone changed it to a standard open diff. Spin the pinion and have someone hold one of the axle shafts, if they can hold it and the other side spins, it's not limited slip.
BJN644 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #35
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The recomendation to use friction modifier would indicate limited slip because the FM is to keep the clutches from chattering. But as I posted I don't see a clutch pack in that differential. so it's possible someone changed it to a standard open diff. Spin the pinion and have someone hold one of the axle shafts, if they can hold it and the other side spins, it's not limited slip.
oh I understand. Where would one find these clutch packs? Is it in the main diff there? Would they be in plain sight? thanks
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #36
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
no solvent or anything? Just an angle grinder and a wire brush attachment? I'm also going to take "Freeskier93" advice and find some OSPHO. Does anyone know where I can find it? off the top of your head.
I bought my Ospho at Ace hardware. I think most hardware stores sell something based on the phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly is another brand that has been around for a while), if I recall it might be in the cement/masonry area if not in the paint dept. Use good paint too. don't skimp there. You are going way deep into the prep I can tell that from the pics. Cool. have a good one and enjoy your axle. I thought about replacing the clutch packs in mine but decided to have a Truetrac installed during my gear change.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #37
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I bought my Ospho at Ace hardware. I think most hardware stores sell something based on the phosphoric acid (Naval Jelly is another brand that has been around for a while), if I recall it might be in the cement/masonry area if not in the paint dept. Use good paint too. don't skimp there. You are going way deep into the prep I can tell that from the pics. Cool. have a good one and enjoy your axle. I thought about replacing the clutch packs in mine but decided to have a Truetrac installed during my gear change.
Awesome!! thanks dude. I'll be right next to a Ace hardware shop today to. cool. appreciate that. Do you know where the clutch packs are?? I don't want to add the friction modifier if these packs were removed and I don't have limited slip. Thanks for the help!
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #38
BJN644
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I could be wrong, one of your pictures looks like it might have clutches in it, the clutches would be behind the spiders. I can't post pictures, but here is a link to a page with some pictures of a trac lock in a Dana 35, and they point out the clutches.

Trac-Lok LSD Install
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #39
BJN644
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, after re-looking all the pictures, I'm pretty sure you DO have a Trac Lok, sorry if I caused you any grief.
Unread 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #40
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yup, after re-looking all the pictures, I'm pretty sure you DO have a Trac Lok, sorry if I caused you any grief.
Sweet! No grief at all man. No worries. Just trying to get confirmation. Looks like you confirmed. I looked at the pictures and the link you provided. Looks like I do have it. Thanks a lot, BJN644!!
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #41
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
This axle is out of a 2004 LJ. After some more researching about the identification tags. It looks like I probably have limited slip. Because the right tag has the FM. Which I would say stands for "Friction Modifier" No?? Is this correct?? Couldn't you get the clutch pack from the stealership??
It being an 04 it probably did not have too many miles on it so they are still probably good. Also The only reason you would need FM (friction modifier) is for the limited slip clutch pack so that another sign that you do have trac-lok.

I know there is a test to see if your limited slip is still in working order, its pretty simple too, ill try and find it and post back.

I haven't found that any clutch packs from the dealer, just the whole assembly, but if i ever do I will be sure to post it because I know of others who are also looking.

Good job on the price too, that a steal.
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #42
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

update: just finished up a round of wire brushin (see below). I can't get the rust out of the divot areas. Oh well. Its still coming out to my satisfaction. I took last night off. Can't really get much done with a little one. I did manage to work about 1.5 hours on it tonight.

I'm needing a disc brake system. Does anyone know if Jeep Liberty's disc brakes work on a 04 LJ dana 44??? or if there is any other Jeep that may work as well?? I been checking this used auto parts site...Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and I'm only coming up with Liberty's. Can't find anything on craigslist. Next up is dumpster diving at junk yards. I really don't want to have to shell out over 600 buks for a conversion kit...HELP!!!

Unread 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #43
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Don't waste your money on a disk brake conversion. Just keep the drum brakes adjusted and they'll be every bit as good as disk.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #44
lax22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good deal and not too bad of a price. I was able to find one out of an annaversary ed TJ with a locker for $150 ready to bolt in. All it needed was a gear change but i sold the TJ before i did all that work. Holding onto it in case i end up bying my dads jeep after i sell my blazer. I almost bought a stripped housing for that much and i'm glad i waited.

Last edited by lax22; 08-25-2010 at 08:50 AM..
lax22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #45
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Don't waste your money on a disk brake conversion. Just keep the drum brakes adjusted and they'll be every bit as good as disk.
I would take your advice but I do NOT have any brakes on this axle. So I might as well find a conversion somewhere. I just cannot find what system would work for a 2004 LJ Dana 44. Any body happen to know anything on this??? thank u

edit: What I meant is from a junkyard...what sort of Jeeps can I pull disc's system from?? or is it just LJ's and TJ's??

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.