Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well I take that back I'm not finished for the evening. I got excited about these other wire brushes I got and I wanted to try em out. Low and behold they work fantastic!! This is probably 5 minutes of work. I might finish the diff tonight...if I can see! Its dark outside and I don't have a garage so I'm working on my patio...

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
Thats some nasty looking diff fluid.

Congrats on the 44
Yeah it didnt smell the greatest either! At that point though I had sprayed a full can of brake cleaner that is mixed in their as well. I kept spraying and letting in fill up then dump it. I still have more to do. I just got tired of doing it cuz it seemed that it would never stop. Oh well...back to more wire brushin!
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
Yeah it didnt smell the greatest either! At that point though I had sprayed a full can of brake cleaner that is mixed in their as well. I kept spraying and letting in fill up then dump it. I still have more to do. I just got tired of doing it cuz it seemed that it would never stop. Oh well...back to more wire brushin!
All diff fluid smells horrible. Its just worst when its mixed with mud(looks like yours was), and burnt, which I guess yours was too.

And instead of filling up the diff with brake cleaner, let it sit like it would in the Jeep and start at the top and work your way down.
I would also check the axle shaft seals.
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
PistolPete99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

baby poop brown ..looks like some water was mix in there congrats on the find

ph
PistolPete99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete99 View Post
baby poop brown ..looks like some water was mix in there congrats on the find

ph
Thanks! I bet the water got in from the bad pinion seal. Not looking forward to changing that. I read a few links and threads on changing the pinion seal. Doesn't sound fun at all. I just may drive the axle to a shop and pay em to do that.
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #21
PistolPete99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

its really not that bad changing out the pinion seal, just making sure you tighten the pinion nut enough is the worry i always have but over all not bad

but i understand the piece of mind of having a shop doing it so then you dont have to worry about it

ph
PistolPete99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #22
chaddb9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

nasty looking fluid, great find though!
Full Traction 6" Long Arm,Performance Accessories 2" Body lift and Gap guards, FT shocks, FT brake lines, FT exhaust, FT drive shaft, Alloy USA front axle shafts inner and outer, Alloy axle seals, Superior rear axle shafts, BDS Steering Stabilizer, BDS Discos, AMX Chamber Wheels , Bushwacker 6" flairs, Body Armor Front 3 Loop Bumper, Body Armor sliders, Body Armor Rear tire carrier, Warn M8000 Winch, Warn Diff Skids, Skid Row Engine Radiator And Gas tank Skids, Hesco Throttle Body Spacer 62mm Volant Air intake and Snorkel, Arma Coat inside floor, OR FAB Front Cage, Red Art Beard Super G Seats Heated, Crow 5 Point Harnesses.[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/FONT]
chaddb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

update: I worked on the diff cover some more. I'm probably done with it. These little dirty spots you can see are imbedded into divots in the metal. I just don't have the time to waist on it anymore. Time to move onto the axle.

Unread 08-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
update: I worked on the diff cover some more. I'm probably done with it. These little dirty spots you can see are imbedded into divots in the metal. I just don't have the time to waist on it anymore. Time to move onto the axle.
Looks good, I would hit the cover with some rust neutralizer, like Ospho, before you paint.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

worked on her for about 35 minutes this evening. I have a feeling this is gonna be a long process. I have a baby daughter so it makes it a little harder.

How is everyone else wire brushing? Are you using those little wheels for the drill or is there some magical brush that makes this ***** go quicker?? Can you please recommend a certain product, method or something!

Here is the little bit I got done tonight. I cleaned the diff cover where the sealant goes with the wire brush. I also cleaned the same area on the diff housing area. Come out beautiful! I also started wire brushin down the axle tube....(the yellow that is reflecting on the newly exposed metal is from the cardboard i'm sitting on)

Unread 08-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #26
PistolPete99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i use a angle grinder with a wire wheel attatchment works like butter
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete99 View Post
i use a angle grinder with a wire wheel attatchment works like butter
no solvent or anything? Just an angle grinder and a wire brush attachment? I'm also going to take "Freeskier93" advice and find some OSPHO. Does anyone know where I can find it? off the top of your head.
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #28
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
my right rear axle identification tag reads this:

80W90
60 0Z+FM4 OZ

It sort of looks like there is another number or alpha numeric after the 60 and before the "0Z". I cant tell.

Does this mean my axle diff takes 80W90 diff fluid?? Does that mean I have to add that extra stuff to the fluid since I have a limited slip??

thanks
I'm thinking 60 oz of 80w90 and 4 oz of friction modifier?

Since it been in the water. I would first dump some fluid in and drive it for a short time then change the fluid again and add the fricition modifier.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #29
PistolPete99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nah i just used the wire wheel and and angle gringer, then a rust converter a a heavy brush on primer and a rattle can for paint ..im under my jeep at least two or three times a year grinding and painting sucks living in the rust belt

ph
Unread 08-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #30
BJN644
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I always thought that a limited slip diff had clutch plates in it, the picture looks like a regular open carrier to me ?
BJN644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.