Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #136
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you notice a difference in stopping, it's because your other brakes were out of adjustment and letting the pedal travel too far. Rear disc do not stop better than properly working rear drums.
Then my drum brakes must have been out of adjustment. My Jeep stops way better now. When I tried a few panic stops, it slightly chirped the tires. Its never done that before

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #137
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
Then my drum brakes must have been out of adjustment. My Jeep stops way better now. When I tried a few panic stops, it slightly chirped the tires. Its never done that before
Front or rear tires?
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #138
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Front or rear tires?
The front tires. Now Im worried. So, this morning Im leaving for work. As I walk to the Jeep I notice a wet spot under the diff. I get down and inspect the situation. I cant figure out where the leak is coming from. It is definitely diff fluid cuz it has the horrible stench. There was a drip hanging from the diff about to fall. It didnt look like the seal was bad. But, I was running late so I had to go.

There is one more situation, as I'm leaving I notice a squeeling sound from the rear. So, I open my drivers side window, yep its the brakes. I cant tell if its doing it on the passenger side. But, it squeeled all the way to work. I tried braking hard, Nothing. Still does it. It is more pronounced when cars drive up next to me. The echo makes it sound loud. I guess I'll try taking the tire off and messing around with the rotor and calipers...grrrr!! Nothing ever seems to go smooth.

Edit: I guess it isn't squeeling. Its more of like a loud scratching sound with scraping. Its hard to explain!
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #139
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The mushiness probably means you have air still in the lines. Easy to bleed out. The scrapping could be a number of things. Blaine would know better than me, but Id check and make sure you didn't bend one (or both) of the low pad indicators, make sure the dust cover isn't bent inward and touching the rotor and make sure your ebrake pads are adjusted correctly. Did you try the ebrake?
Unread 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #140
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
The mushiness probably means you have air still in the lines. Easy to bleed out. The scrapping could be a number of things. Blaine would know better than me, but Id check and make sure you didn't bend one (or both) of the low pad indicators, make sure the dust cover isn't bent inward and touching the rotor and make sure your ebrake pads are adjusted correctly. Did you try the ebrake?
Thanks for the input. I couldnt help myself. I been worried and thinking about it while at work. So, I went outside and crawled under the Jeep. I found out where the diff is leaking from. It is 100% the pinion seal that is leaking. It is running down the underside of the diff housing and dripping off right at the bottom of the diff cover. I'm gonna try to get my Jeep in earlier to have the shop fix that seal.

No! I have not tried the ebrakes yet. I'm kind of nervous to try those. I never set those up before and Im just worried if I pull the lever its gonna explode!
Unread 11-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #141
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just got back from dropping the Jeep off at a repair shop to fix the pinion seal. It was close to work. So my girlfriend brought me back to work! Sweet...glad its getting fixed. Ill pick it up after work.

While I drove it down to the shop. I take back the mushy feel of the brakes. It actually feels pretty good. However, I am concerned with the sound coming from the driver rear. It sounds like the pad is barely rubbing on the rotor. Its making that screeching sound...hmmm!! Ill take a look at it and mess around with the rotor, pads and calipers. Wish I could tell if the passenger side is acting up.

edit: the shop called and said its going to cost $91 buks to change it. Not too bad. Better than me wrestling around with it.
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #142
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
See that little silver zinc plated screw looking thing with the hole in the end of it? That's the bleeder. It goes up. Please put it up. If you don't put it up, you'll waste untold amounts of brake fluid and when you start the rig after running 12 gallons of fluid through the system, the pedal will hit the floor.

When you get ready to bleed the brakes, ask. I will tell you how to do it right the first time.
I just finished doing the disk swap on my D35, and for the life of me I couldn't get the brakes to bleed worth a darn. Guess what...I had the bleeders on the bottom. After reading this post, I ran out and swapped the calipers around to get the bleeders on top. 1/2 hour later and my brakes are good to go, after messing around with them for the last 4 days and using 2 large bottles of brake fluid trying to bleed them. So let that be a lesson to anyone else reading this, and thanks for the info mrblain.
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #143
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel05 View Post
I just finished doing the disk swap on my D35, and for the life of me I couldn't get the brakes to bleed worth a darn. Guess what...I had the bleeders on the bottom. After reading this post, I ran out and swapped the calipers around to get the bleeders on top. 1/2 hour later and my brakes are good to go, after messing around with them for the last 4 days and using 2 large bottles of brake fluid trying to bleed them. So let that be a lesson to anyone else reading this, and thanks for the info mrblain.
Cool! Glad to hear man. If it wasnt for blaine as well I'm sure I would have f'd mine up. So, he posted that info in perfect timing. I did exactly what he said as well and worked flawlesly. Good job!
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #144
FFDBoutlaw
2007 JK Wrangler 

I Need HELP!! yesterday after i went wheeling in my rubi I was driving home and all of a sudden I herd a noise from under my jeep. I pulled over and I had gear fluid running out my my rear d44 from the top passenger side of the diff. There are 2 small perfectly circular holes that the fluid is leaking out of. The pics I attached show what looks like 2 bolts or something in the place of where the holes are. But I dont know what they are for. can anyone help me?
d44-2.jpg   d44.jpg  

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.