Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a used Dana 44...clean up and rebuild!

Hey guys...so after a very long time of searching the web and trying to find a good deal on a dana 44..I finally found one I went and picked it up today. He was asking 800 buks for the front (dana 30) and rear (dana 44). So after some back and forthness I scored the Dana 44 w/ limited slip (I believe it has it, he said it did) for 475 buks. He must have broken a shaft I would think at one point. Because why would he say it also has a chromoly shaft in there?? So, I only have to fix one thing on it so far, the pinion seal is leaking oil. He said he was going to replace it but never got to it. He even gave me the replacement pinion seal new in the box. So below are some pics of the 44 sitting on my patio on some jack stands... The axle is pretty oily and dirty right now. I asked him if we could take the diff cover off cuz I want to inspect it before I purchase. He said, no problem. So we took it off and I grabbed the pinion at the end and spun it so the gears would turn and I could get a good look. They were in GREAT shape. I was impressed! We also took the axle shafts out and the were GREAT as well...score!

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

first thing first pull the lines sand it and paint it
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wranglicon-my-build-thread-1091056/] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Project Wranglicon my build [/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't grammer cop me, if you can't understand what i'm trying to say it's you not me that needs to change.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
madmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you know what gear ratio it is?

Any cleaner that evaporates, like brake cleaner, will work to clean the inside and gears.

Great find! I can only dream of a 44 or 8.8. Hopefully after high school!
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

All I have to say is you are one lucky mofacky! Score...I saw that on craigslist today. I guess I'm too late!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Do you know what gear ratio it is?

Any cleaner that evaporates, like brake cleaner, will work to clean the inside and gears.

Great find! I can only dream of a 44 or 8.8. Hopefully after high school!
Thanks! I got lucky. Same as my front Dana 30...3.73 gear ratio...thank god! I never thought of brake cleaner..I'll try that.
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
All I have to say is you are one lucky mofacky! Score...I saw that on craigslist today. I guess I'm too late!
Yep! that is the one. I jumped all over it. Man I been like a crack addict trying to find my fix on a Dana 44. I drove 2 hours to his place and 2 hours back. It took forever! But, I'm glad. It looks good and once I get some opinions and stuff. This puppy will be tip top!
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Jeepin_XJ_101
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Man you would think this was a Colorado poster only thread or somethin try this for diff covers

AtoZ Fabrication...Made In the USA

And he is a vendor here shoot him a PM

He may not have broken a shaft, chromolys are a common upgrade for the added strength

The master install kit isnt too bad you just have to pay attention to detail, much easier while the axle is out

2005 WK 4.7L 3.5" RK, 255/75R17 on Rubi Wheels
1992 YJ 4.0L 5" ProComp on 35x12.50 Trxus MT
Jeepin_XJ_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin_XJ_101 View Post
Man you would think this was a Colorado poster only thread or somethin try this for diff covers

AtoZ Fabrication...Made In the USA

And he is a vendor here shoot him a PM

He may not have broken a shaft, chromolys are a common upgrade for the added strength

The master install kit isnt too bad you just have to pay attention to detail, much easier while the axle is out
Is the master install kit like your regearing? Cuz I have no idea how to set the backlash and all that other stuff involved. Is their not anyone else out there with opinions? Come on guys help me out please!
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the nice condition, I would:

-Clean it at the car wash maybe bring a tire brush if you are picky.
-Clean the inside with brake cleaner.
-Mount it in jeep. (I personally don't like working on axles out of the jeep, the torques are so high that it is sometimes easier using the weight of the jeep to hold things still).
-Replace pinion seal. You can find instructions on here with a search. I can't remember exactly how tight to tighten the pinion nut. About 180ft-lbs I think.
-Fill with fluid.
-Drive it.

A well set up rear in will run almost forever, do not waste your money with a new master install kit. Master install + labor will be over $300 and if it was a running driving axle it probably doesn't need it anyway.
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

my right rear axle identification tag reads this:

80W90
60 0Z+FM4 OZ

It sort of looks like there is another number or alpha numeric after the 60 and before the "0Z". I cant tell.

Does this mean my axle diff takes 80W90 diff fluid?? Does that mean I have to add that extra stuff to the fluid since I have a limited slip??

thanks
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

FM is the friction modifier that you need to run in a LIMITED SLIP rear end!

Some gear lubes come with it already.

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
my right rear axle identification tag reads this:

80W90
60 0Z+FM4 OZ

It sort of looks like there is another number or alpha numeric after the 60 and before the "0Z". I cant tell.

Does this mean my axle diff takes 80W90 diff fluid?? Does that mean I have to add that extra stuff to the fluid since I have a limited slip??

thanks
and x2 on the above reply. if the tag at the 3 o'clock position calls for fm, then you have limited slip. although the clutches may be warn.

and like said above, most brand name gl5 diff fluids will have the fm built in at the correct amount. it will say something like " ok to use for make-up and refill of limited slip axles".
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I got this far today..I pulled the brake lines and the emergency cables. Basically all of the cables are off....

So after that I pulled the diff cover...it smelled something fierce!! The gears and everything look surprisingly ver good. No major scarring, nicks or chunks missing.

after I pulled the diff cover. I sprayed the insides with 2 cans of brake cleaner (bought a total of 4 cans) and cleaned it up and then started to get to the nitty gritty...wirin brushin!!

these pictures are cleaning the old gasket off and sprayin her with some more brake cleaner and wiping with some shop paper towels....

done for the evening. Man wire brushing this diff cover is a PITA. It takes forever to get that rust and other ***** off of there. Almost done with the diff cover. Will finish that up probably tomorrow and then start wire brushin the remainder.

Unread 08-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thats some nasty looking diff fluid.

Congrats on the 44
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
pachary
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nm

2005 TJ Unlimited/I6-M6/Rubi 4:1 Tcase/4.5RESF/1.25JKS BL-1BMML/37"SSRs/WarnM8000/Besttop TireCarrier/Waggy D44/ FR-RR DetroitD44/Cobra Remote CB/custom F&R Bumpers/JeeperMan Skids/York OBA/Rokmen TummyTuck/TNT 3" Fenders and Rear Corners/AA SYE- Carolina Drivelines CV Shaft
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , swap , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.