Performance Upgrades - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Harshman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Performance Upgrades

Hello Jeepers,

I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited. Everything is stock.
First, I am looking to do some general upgrades on the engine to enhance performance.
Second, I am interested in adding some stuff to the exterior such as body armor, bumpers, a winch, light guards, etc.

I plan on upgrading it in stages and am trying to get a list for stage 1. My budget is about $2500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to TJ Tech.

As far as performance, there are no cheap and easy bolt up upgrades. Engine swap, stroker or forced induction are the ways most go. Internal engine work can help also, but cost benefit balance there is questionable.

As far as all the other stuff, peruse this section. Use search function if you need to. There will be hundreds of threads on each of those topics. If you have specific questions then you can ask them, but at this point you need to just read.

#feelthejohnson
post #3 of 42 Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 PM
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
General upgrades consist of a tune-up.

Don't waste your time on intake or exhaust mods unless you plan on doing head & cam work.

There is a relatively recent thread about armor priority, good stuff, find it. I suggest aluminum to minimize weight gain.
post #4 of 42 Old 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fill out your profile first. If it's an auto, regear it even if you have small tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Fortmeier

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd save up money and research. $2,500 won't get you far with this hobby. Start small. Figure out where you want to be in the future and plan accordingly. Nothing worse than spending time and money and ending up trashing ur original plan because you want to go bigger. Surf the threads. This place is a goldmine.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 PM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Fill out your profile first. If it's an auto, regear it even if you have small tires.
this
post #7 of 42 Old 03-23-2016, 06:26 AM
billdacat
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Join a club and wheel that Jeep. You will figure it out real fast what might be needed. The I6 engine is a boat anchor; not a great platform for any enhancements. Being practical; proper gearing for your wheel size is all you really have to play with.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Reducing weight will help but you want to ad armor. Obviously armor is important. Much of what you do to improve off road capability will reduce the performance (handling, speed, mpg). Re-gearing is how you make up for the power loss, esp the loss you will experience if you go with larger tires.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #9 of 42 Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 AM
Maciej102
2005 LJ Wrangler 

as others have said don't bother with the "horsepower" bolt ons. For what it costs exhaust, intake, filter, throttle body stuff is no where near worth it. Best thing you can do right now is clean your IAC and throttle body, put in some double platinum or iridium autolite plugs and put in a quality MOPAR or AC Delco air filter. Check your ODPA for wear.

Wranglers with the 42RLE transmission come horribly geared from the factory even with the 30" tires. Most guys go with 4.88 gears when running around 33" tires.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Harshman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej102 View Post
as others have said don't bother with the "horsepower" bolt ons. For what it costs exhaust, intake, filter, throttle body stuff is no where near worth it. Best thing you can do right now is clean your IAC and throttle body, put in some double platinum or iridium autolite plugs and put in a quality MOPAR or AC Delco air filter. Check your ODPA for wear.

Wranglers with the 42RLE transmission come horribly geared from the factory even with the 30" tires. Most guys go with 4.88 gears when running around 33" tires.
Thanks, I will look into that then.
post #11 of 42 Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep definitely avoid 1) K&N air filters, 2) throttle body spacers, and 3) Cold-air intakes. The K&N passes WAY too much dirt into the engine, the throttle body spacer does nothing when placed under the type of throttle body modern Wranglers have, and the CAI is great in theory but does nothing for the TJ in reality.

Getting Savvy...

When you have a choice, buy American.
post #12 of 42 Old 03-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yep definitely avoid 1) K&N air filters, 2) throttle body spacers, and 3) Cold-air intakes. The K&N passes WAY too much dirt into the engine, the throttle body spacer does nothing when placed under the type of throttle body modern Wranglers have, and the CAI is great in theory but does nothing for the TJ in reality.
It lets more water in...
post #13 of 42 Old 03-25-2016, 12:34 PM
timberwolf0122
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would suggest a modest lift and a front aussie locker, bigger tires as you can afford them.

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
Doctor Who has died 13 times, is on his 14th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
post #14 of 42 Old 03-25-2016, 01:26 PM
cmecha
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
first i'd say rocker armor, then engine skid and steering box skid.

"always upgraded, never replaced."
post #15 of 42 Old 03-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmecha View Post
first i'd say rocker armor, then engine skid and steering box skid.
My personal choice of armor installation order is oil pan, gas tank, rockers, steering box.

Getting Savvy...

When you have a choice, buy American.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.