Performance Speed mods?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Performance Speed mods??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nitrous is a great bang for the buck. For less than $1000 you could add a 100 shot. (actually way less if you don't want all the safety stuff, window switch, fp switch, wot switch, etc)

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #17
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Nitrous is a great bang for the buck. For less than $1000 you could add a 100 shot. (actually way less if you don't want all the safety stuff, window switch, fp switch, wot switch, etc)
and you could put the throttle body spacer to good use with drilling and tapping it
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
and you could put the throttle body spacer to good use with drilling and tapping it
At least that would allow the throttle body spacer to actually do something besides just sitting there doing nothing for performance at all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
counselor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Way less. I've got a kit off a Viper here at my house that was originally a two stage with propane injection, and all the switches, billet bottle bracket, bottle heater, etc. that I'd sell shipped for $1000 anywhere in the continental US. You could buy that and spray 500hp (not on the I6, though )

I thought about spray on the jeep, and I considered a turbo setup (which seems to work well on the I6), but ultimately, I'm saving my nickels for an LSx swap eventually. One of the things that appeals to me is that the aluminum LS motor actually weighs less than the I6. More power, less weight. Works for me.
counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by counselor View Post
Way less. I've got a kit off a Viper here at my house that was originally a two stage with propane injection, and all the switches, billet bottle bracket, bottle heater, etc. that I'd sell shipped for $1000 anywhere in the continental US. You could buy that and spray 500hp (not on the I6, though )

I thought about spray on the jeep, and I considered a turbo setup (which seems to work well on the I6), but ultimately, I'm saving my nickels for an LSx swap eventually. One of the things that appeals to me is that the aluminum LS motor actually weighs less than the I6. More power, less weight. Works for me.
you injected propane into a gasoline engine? I thought they only did that on the diesels. Sure you can piece together a ultra basic nitrous system off ebay for a couple hundred, but if you want all the good stuff it cost $$. If you really like to spray you need the nano system and that is about $800 on top of all the other nitrous stuff.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
counselor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you injected propane into a gasoline engine? I thought they only did that on the diesels. Sure you can piece together a ultra basic nitrous system off ebay for a couple hundred, but if you want all the good stuff it cost $$. If you really like to spray you need the nano system and that is about $800 on top of all the other nitrous stuff.
It's very rare, but propane can be used on the fuel side of the wet system. It's super high octane, so you can run more nitrous without detonating. Works really well. In addition to the little propane tank I actually also have a small aluminum fuel tank that can mount in the engine compartment if you wanted to run race gas instead of propane or run gas with one stage and propane with the other. Racers will often use those smaller tanks because you can run race gas there and pump gas in your main tank and if it's an efi application instead of pulling off the fuel rail at 45+ psi, you can run a carb fuel pump from this dedicated tank at 9 psi and it's much easier to meter jet sizes.

The kit I have originally came from here:

BTR Viper Performance Nitrous Systems

Mine is older and they've changed some stuff, but it's the two stage one at the bottom that's almost $3k. Interesting stuff.
counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have more money than sense. I will never understand why people want to turn a Jeep into a road rocket. Oh well, enjoy the project I suppose.

Unread 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I spose I'm going to swap my hood and door steel panelling out for aluminum, other than that I'd prefer to keep steel fenders and corners. (Just for ****s and Giggles....I wonder if a few tyres full of Helium2 could make much weight difference) I like to have speed over the trails and be as light as possible...rock crawling through **** that rips parts off seems to be about one of the most pointless activities..my TJ's for offroading to destinations I'd like to camp at...it's basically meant to be a war machine...with a bit of a muscle car mixed in....so i can have fun everywhere at anytime. and as for the Nos, I only run that on my BMW, I prefer to keep the american cars in a old muscle car/war vehicle fashion.
Unread 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #25
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

X2
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #26
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just checked out some Aluminum parts...they don't seem too pricy. Thanks for that idea on the aluminum swap out....I completely spaced on that.
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
Comanche_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I spose I'm going to swap my hood and door steel panelling out for aluminum, other than that I'd prefer to keep steel fenders and corners. (Just for ****s and Giggles....I wonder if a few tyres full of Helium2 could make much weight difference) I like to have speed over the trails and be as light as possible...rock crawling through **** that rips parts off seems to be about one of the most pointless activities..my TJ's for offroading to destinations I'd like to camp at...it's basically meant to be a war machine...with a bit of a muscle car mixed in....so i can have fun everywhere at anytime. and as for the Nos, I only run that on my BMW, I prefer to keep the american cars in a old muscle car/war vehicle fashion.
You do know your trying to make a 2 ton brick shaped vehicle fast right? You have everything working against you, weight, shape, hight and lenght( SWB doesnt turn at high speed, it will spin out).

Also, once you start putting out any real power, you will need to have your trans upgraded( i dont know too much, but the AX-15 is ok stock, but not extrordenary), if you run it hard in 4x4 you Will tear the np-231 apart, same thing with the axles, i have a feeling a d35/d30 combo wont handle alot of power, especialy if you have limeted slips or lockers.

What's your goal here power wise? 250? 300? 350+?
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.

Last edited by Comanche_; 02-16-2010 at 07:26 PM..
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #28
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I still love his profile:

Quote:
I carry a comealong but I don't bother with the winch...If you need a winch, you can't drive
BTW, it has been said before. The Jeep is not meant for speed. If you really want to learn, regear that rear end to 4.88 with you 31"s. Then go to the road and stomp on the gas and see how fast you can get.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
I still love his profile:

BTW, it has been said before. The Jeep is not meant for speed. If you really want to learn, regear that rear end to 4.88 with you 31"s. Then go to the road and stomp on the gas and see how fast you can get.
huh? what is he going to learn with 4.88's and 31's? that he has a top speed of 70 mph? He will need to regear the front end to match the rear end.

Also, if your going to pick apart someones profile, get rido f the tow chains on yours. I cant believe anyone would use a tow chain while they were out wheeling, a strap without hooks is alot safer and easier to carry.

BTW i had jeep with a supercharger on it, it would run 100 mph, that is plenty fast for a jeep, it was scary at those speeds. Id never run a jeep up that fast again, although my LJ will do 90 mph and feels pretty stable. Speed is relative, a vette running 100mph is nothing. Maybe he is talking "jeep" fast?
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #30
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like he wants to "play" as in race people off the line. That is why I say reagear the Jeep (and I meant the whole thing, but regear the rear rhymed).

As for the tow chains, yeah, probably not the best way to do it. I carry them only for the fact that they are rated higher than my bumper's shackles, and in case I do have a need to pull somebody stuck on the road. The come-along would actually be chains too. I only quoted it hoping for a reaction from Jerry.

Lumpster, I don't think you have read his couple threads. He is obviously a bit of a troll, and sarcasm is even funnier when it is hard to detect.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast tj , performance , speed

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.